Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: cant get started  (Read 7033 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: cant get started
« Reply #30 on: 05 August 2020, 16:41:03 »

I had this problem with my 2.6 about 6 years ago, would not start and no fault codes.  I replaced the crank sensor and it started first time and had no problems since. I personally did not buy one from the main dealer, the guy in my local independent parts place told me that Vauxhall do not make sensors for their cars.  They are made by Bosch, Semans, VDO and Delphi "formally Lucas".  As long as it is one of these brands he said it is as good as a GM part. The one i fitted was made by Delphi.
They don't, but if you buy it from a main dealer, you stand a good chance of getting a genuine part & not a copy Chinese part in a copy branded box.  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 August 2020, 16:47:31 »

I had this problem with my 2.6 about 6 years ago, would not start and no fault codes.  I replaced the crank sensor and it started first time and had no problems since. I personally did not buy one from the main dealer, the guy in my local independent parts place told me that Vauxhall do not make sensors for their cars.  They are made by Bosch, Semans, VDO and Delphi "formally Lucas".  As long as it is one of these brands he said it is as good as a GM part. The one i fitted was made by Delphi.
They don't, but if you buy it from a main dealer, you stand a good chance of getting a genuine part & not a copy Chinese part in a copy branded box.  :y

more importantly if it fails it's easier to warranty. This is important when a £60 sensor will immobilise the car.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 August 2020, 22:17:50 »

if there are no fault codes showing, why will it be the crank sensor? This car has been turned over slowly due to a flat battery. Is this not a flooded engine? ie like when cars have been started, moved a few feet & then left.

There's no smell of unburnt petrol out the exhaust, but fuel definately getting to the fuel rail. Which suggests the injectors are not getting a signal.  Hence crank sensor ?
I have a genuine one on the way to try tomorrow afternoon.
Once it's running then a new battery, exhaust, auto fluid swap, and cam belt are planned over the next few weeks.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 August 2020, 22:47:05 »

if there are no fault codes showing, why will it be the crank sensor? This car has been turned over slowly due to a flat battery. Is this not a flooded engine? ie like when cars have been started, moved a few feet & then left.

There's no smell of unburnt petrol out the exhaust, but fuel definately getting to the fuel rail. Which suggests the injectors are not getting a signal.  Hence crank sensor ?
Once it's running then a new battery, exhaust, auto fluid swap, and cam belt are planned over the next few weeks.

fingers crossed it's just a crank sensor then  :y

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06 August 2020, 01:45:46 »

That's lucky! Where did you buy it and how much did it cost? For the last few years those sensors have only been available from a dealer as a special order, 7-10 days from Germany @ £100+VAT or thereabouts. And that's assuming you can find a dealer willing to place an order.

The genuine GM 90540743 sensor, that you likely need, either from GM/Opel or a Bosch dealer should be marked Bosch 0 261 210 131. If the new one doesn't have that number on it then you might have trouble or it might not work at all.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06 August 2020, 10:18:33 »

fingers crossed it's just a crank sensor then  :y

Yes indeed.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 August 2020, 02:40:44 »

Thanks to this forum and especially Omegod who went out of his way today to help me, when he didn't have to.

He messaged me the other day, to say his mate Tony, who is also a member here but not very regular, had a bag of bits including a sensor, and as it happens Tony lives about 5 minutes walk from me.
So I went and looked in the bag, and nothing that looked like a crank sensor.
Omegod, rang me, to tell me he was coming with a second hand one, and immediately drove from the other end of the m57. 
He then borrowed my Jack and axle stand, and swapped it out. Apparently my having had a heart attack six weeks ago gets me special treatment.
It started first time. First time in 3 months.
I shall be getting a spare to put in the boot. 
 So thank you all, for the great advice, and especially Omegod for coming out of his way to help.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07 August 2020, 09:14:48 »

Are Omegas  particularly prone to crank sensor failure, or do all modern cars sufffer similarly?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07 August 2020, 09:22:18 »

Are Omegas  particularly prone to crank sensor failure, or do all modern cars sufffer similarly?

the original routing of the wires doesn't help Omegas, but crank sensors are a common failure. Anyone who is paranoid about this should buy and fit a new, genuine GM sensor, and keep the current, working one as a spare. Fit the new one  without jacking the car, and you'll be pracitised in changing it if it fails.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07 August 2020, 21:52:48 »

AIUI it's the V6s that suffer most with crank sensor failure and yes they can be changed while the car is standing with all four wheels on the floor.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07 August 2020, 22:05:53 »

the original routing of the wires doesn't help Omegas, but crank sensors are a common failure on many modern cars. Anyone who is paranoid about this should buy and fit a new, genuine GM sensor, and keep the current, working one as a spare. Fit the new one  without jacking the car, and you'll be pracitised in changing it if it fails.

Edited for clarity.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07 August 2020, 23:15:53 »

I've completely lost track .... has this car started yet?!?!  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07 August 2020, 23:25:20 »

Apparently so...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 07 August 2020, 23:27:02 »

Apparently so...

crank sensor or flooded?  :-\ ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 08 August 2020, 00:46:10 »

Secondhand sensor...
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.