Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Saabs - What do you think?  (Read 5020 times)

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
Saabs - What do you think?
« on: 05 March 2020, 20:35:57 »

I've been unable to find an Omega :(

I was looking for an alternative and came across a Saab estate on eBay.

Has anyone got an experience of Saabs? Are they any good?

You're thoughts would be so helpful. :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Saabs - What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2020, 21:11:41 »

It's a posh Vectra Kate. :D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2020, 21:48:22 »

WheelerDealers did a Saab a while back. Look it up on YouTube, if you can stand the odious Fatty Brewer!

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2020, 23:19:40 »

The one with the 2.8 V6 turbo is the one to go for..... :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2020, 07:18:12 »

Always fancied one of the convertibles , certainly great value for money.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2020, 09:24:59 »

Thanks. There is a 2.3 auto on eBay I might go for.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2020, 09:45:19 »

I run an 08  9-5 Aero auto and I'm very pleased with it, check what tax band its in though as mine is £550 a year,before 2006 its less than that though
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2020, 12:06:15 »

I run an 08  9-5 Aero auto and I'm very pleased with it, check what tax band its in though as mine is £550 a year,before 2006 its less than that though

All petrol autos on/after 2006 are in the £500+ bracket. This includes the 150bhp 2.0t. All manual petrols are in the £325ish bracket.

As Henry days, the pre 2006 stuff is all lower (all in the £325 bracket iirc).

The engines are generally ok after 2004/5, before that look out for blue smoke on startup (turbo) or timing chain rattle when cold. Earlier cars had issues with the breather system hoses breaking down and and allowing particles of crap into the oil. This blocked the oil pickup in the sump and lead to oil starvation.

A misfire under load is usually a faulty Direct Ignition (DI) cassette. It takes about 5mins to swap out but genuine ones cost £200+ and pattern ones tend to last 2000-10,000 miles before failing again.

Those 2 issues aside they're pretty reliable units.  :y

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2020, 15:22:05 »

Early 2.3 models suffer with pick up pipe getting blocked.

The early 9-3 convertibles used to break the firewall free from the car due to the fact the steering rack is mounted on the firewall.

Personally if I was picking an engine, I'd prefer the 2.0L turbo. These engines are storming if they are looked after. The standard internals will take about 450BHP and the ECU is a trionic which can be unlocked. If you are into making things faster.

There is a lot of parts cross over between Vauxhall and Saab. My FiL's 9-3 has Vectra B GSI front brake caliper brackets, standard calipers, Astra GSI 308mm discs and pads. It's always worth looking to see if there is a Vauxhall part that will work, it's nearly always cheaper.

Another thing, by default, the tyre sizes are a bit oddball. EG 215/55/16 or 225/45/17. Which is fine apart from those tyre sizes are pricey. narrow the tread a bit and they are suddenly a load cheaper, 205/55/16 & 215/45/17. Obviously this should be mentioned to insurance people  ::)
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2020, 15:38:35 »

The early 9-3 convertibles used to break the firewall free from the car due to the fact the steering rack is mounted on the firewall.

Personally if I was picking an engine, I'd prefer the 2.0L turbo. These engines are storming if they are looked after. The standard internals will take about 450BHP and the ECU is a trionic which can be unlocked. If you are into making things faster.

There is a lot of parts cross over between Vauxhall and Saab. My FiL's 9-3 has Vectra B GSI front brake caliper brackets, standard calipers, Astra GSI 308mm discs and pads. It's always worth looking to see if there is a Vauxhall part that will work, it's nearly always cheaper.

Another thing, by default, the tyre sizes are a bit oddball. EG 215/55/16 or 225/45/17. Which is fine apart from those tyre sizes are pricey. narrow the tread a bit and they are suddenly a load cheaper, 205/55/16 & 215/45/17. Obviously this should be mentioned to insurance people  ::)

That Wheeler Dealer programme that I mentioned earlier had a cure for the firewall issue, if it applies to whatever Saab you are looking at - or maybe it will have already been implemented, if you are lucky.

Ron.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 March 2020, 17:31:21 »

Cars on this side of the Atlantic have a bulkhead!!  :-X

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 March 2020, 19:09:45 »

Thanks for all the advice and information. :y

I've decided to go for a 9-5 VECTOR 2.3T S-A. I think the tax is £555 which is quite a lot. :o

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 March 2020, 19:12:17 »

It's a posh Vectra Kate. :D

Yup... That's what I've got. 9-3 anniversary estate, 2.0t, GM era car,.. £315 per year tax, 26-28mpg,  costs a bit less to service than the omega,  is smaller, bit louder, not as comfy as an Omega,, why did I buy it, because it looked nice, was a good price, aand newer,, O and it's wwd,,  tyres cost the same, and are 235/45/17".. :o
Hoof'land storeman.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 March 2020, 19:13:27 »

That's a hefty road tax each year ...thought the Omegas were robbery but that's £10 a week.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 March 2020, 19:13:52 »

That Wheeler Dealer programme that I mentioned earlier had a cure for the firewall issue, if it applies to whatever Saab you are looking at - or maybe it will have already been implemented, if you are lucky.

Ron.

Early GM era cars. Pre 2004 am led to believe .
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.