Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wishbone bolt.  (Read 1910 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Wishbone bolt.
« on: 17 August 2016, 15:09:42 »

Changed o/s wishbone yesterday. Easy enough job. Today I'm doing the n/s which isn't so simple apparently.
Access to the bolt for the rear bush is difficult, but I managed to undo it ok. Then lost the bolt in the subframe. Managed to retrieve it using a magnet on a stick, and now need to insert it from the top which is proving a problem. I have it taped to the socket so it doesn't fall off, and try pushing it down from above but it doesn't want to go far. Looks like the holes may be offset ?
Anyone have a magic trick for this ?
Tia.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Wishbone bolt.
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2016, 15:12:39 »

Time and patience ... last time I resorted to pushing it in from the wrong side (underneath) then applying the trolley jack to the wishbone to hold it in place, remove bolt and try it from the top .. still needed a wiggle with a screwdriver from below to get it in .. but it goes eventually ... :(

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2016, 15:14:22 »

Thanks Nige. I have plenty of time and a modicum of patience, so will keep trying. I have managed (with a bit of difficulty) to insert it from underneath and then pull it out again,so hope fully the wishbone is in the correct position. I may try the trolleyjack idea though.  :y
« Last Edit: 17 August 2016, 15:16:17 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2016, 16:29:09 »

I use a sturdy screwdriver/3/8th extension bar from underneath, and a nearly dislocated wrist from above to wiggle the bolt in... Then use a 6" long 1/2" breaker bar with 21mm socket wedged against the idler heat shield whilst you wind the nut on :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2016, 16:47:51 »

I lie below, look up at the alignment of the 2 holes, and tap the wishbone with a mallet until the holes line up.

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2016, 17:17:53 »

When I did mine, I put the bolt from the front bush through from underneath first and then tapped that down with the proper bolt from on top. They stay together and keep the line nicely. Just don't rush it.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2016, 18:30:29 »

I was trying to put it in the wrong hole !  :-X :D...........the oval shaped hole in the chassis leg, under the ABS pump. Once I realised that, it was reasonably straightforward to put it in the right hole.  ;D
Now, for some reason, I cant get the ball joint in the bottom of the strut. The wishbone doesnt sem to want to go low enough to allow it to go in. Front bush bolt isn't in yet and rear bush isn't done up tight, but is in place. I tried jacking the strut up a little, but it sprung out and whacked me on the head, so I now have a nice lump.
There goes my career as  Brad Pitt lookalike.  ::) ;D
The other side went smooth as silk by comparison. I guess I'm doing something wrong, so I'm off to have another look at the guide.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2016, 18:47:28 »

Wrong end of a 2ft breaker in the wishbone hole and push down... ;)

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2016, 19:01:04 »

Much easier if you disconnect the drop-link!
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2016, 19:11:23 »

I always compress the strut spring with a couple of spring compressors. Then I have a son heave the wishbone down with a long steel pipe, and I mean long. I used to involve the wife, but she pulled a muscle once and won't do it any more.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2016, 19:29:27 »

All done now. I think the brain just wasn't switched on today. After my last post I went back and studied the angle of the dangle for a while, then pushed and pulled for a minute, and in it went.  :)

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2016, 21:41:48 »

i did exactly the same sometimes walking away ,thinking about it and then tackling the job works :)
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2016, 21:47:27 »

All done now. I think the brain just wasn't switched on today. After my last post I went back and studied the angle of the dangle for a while, then pushed and pulled for a minute, and in it went.  :)
Are we still talking wishbone bolts?...

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2016, 22:07:09 »

Yep.  ;D............still talking about wishbone bolts - once I realised I had been trying to put it in the wrong hole and put it in the right hole, I lost it altogether. It ended up in the middle of the crossmember. It took over an hour to get it out. In the end a length of plastic tube with a magnet stuck on the end retrieved it.
It took about 6 hours all in. I should have took pics and wrote a guide, "How not to fit your wishbones".  :-[ ;D
I'm having a day off tomorrow, apart from giving it a wash. I think all the major jobs are done now anyway. Just left with minor niggles that keep me awake on these hot summer nights.  :D

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 August 2016, 22:08:21 »

I always compress the strut spring with a couple of spring compressors. Then I have a son heave the wishbone down with a long steel pipe, and I mean long. I used to involve the wife, but she pulled a muscle once and won't do it any more.
I used to do that but it involves applying a lot of force to your new rear bushes :(

Since I discovered how to set the camber myself I now loosen the bolts between the strut and the steering knuckle (can't think of a better name for it right now) to make it easy to plug the ball joint back in.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.