Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rail strikes  (Read 7407 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Rail strikes
« Reply #30 on: 14 March 2017, 11:10:42 »

In agreement with the Liverpool bloke.
 there are many people who need assistance to board trains, and disembark, the guards do this very valuable task, if the guards go, assisted boarding will disappear. just a way for train company's to make more profit,
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 March 2017, 11:20:21 »

True. IF they were actually getting rid of them...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 March 2017, 11:22:40 »

there are many people who need assistance to board trains, and disembark, the guards do this very valuable task, if the guards go, assisted boarding will disappear. just a way for train company's to make more profit,

And its not like its something that can't equally be served by the station staff (who would also have to support them anyway in/out of the station)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 March 2017, 11:52:16 »

At around 30p a mile if you are a sole traveller then I think it competes very well with being the only person in a car. Where it can't compete is when you have a car full. Although if you are travelling off-peak as a group you can save up to 50% of the fare by asking for a group reduction.

The current disputes have nothing what-so-ever to do with safety or working conditions and everything to do with Marxist union leaders trying to bring down the Tories politics. Personally in return I think the government should make strikes on such essential services illegal with disputes being forced to binding arbitration. Southern region was picked for this due to more direct government involvement in running this service than with other franchises. >:( >:( >:(

There are other considerations, Mr Rods.

Sitting next to the great unwashed who fart, puke, swear, and smell like STMO's under garments. Many years ago an ex-girlfriend had a man self-abusing beneath a copy of the Financial Times sitting opposite her. Proper city gent he was, apparently.

Nah....I'd rather take my car or Learjet. :y

« Last Edit: 14 March 2017, 11:54:48 by Doctor Opti »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 March 2017, 11:53:31 »

Nah....I rather take my car or Learjet. :y

Just don't ask the pilot to close the door. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 March 2017, 12:26:17 »

Sitting next to the great unwashed who fart, puke, swear, and smell like STMO's under garments.

SWMBO is at a hospital appointment in Oxford today and decided to take the train. This pretty much matched her experience today, except you forgot to mention people coughing their disease of choice into your face.  >:(. Sounds delightful.

I drive. Everywhere

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 March 2017, 12:35:41 »

This may (or may not) be a legitimate point of view, but what has it got to do with the unions ? If Vauxhall were selling cars which had a safety risk to their customers (such as spontaneously combusting  ::) ) would the unions at the factories call the workers out on strike ?
It seems clear that the real reasons for the strike are they suspect job cuts in the pipeline, and of course we have a Tory Govt. and that in itself seems to be deemed a legitimate reason to strike.
One of the rail union leaders said at a union meeting last year, regarding the Tories "if we individually spit at them it has no effect, but if we all spit together, we can drown the bastards".
Charming, intelligent fella.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14 March 2017, 12:45:07 »

Vermin and should be treated as such.
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #38 on: 14 March 2017, 15:02:08 »

Vermin and should be treated as such.
Very.....ermmmm.....unintelligible  ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 14 March 2017, 23:06:11 »

At around 30p a mile if you are a sole traveller then I think it competes very well with being the only person in a car. Where it can't compete is when you have a car full. Although if you are travelling off-peak as a group you can save up to 50% of the fare by asking for a group reduction.

The current disputes have nothing what-so-ever to do with safety or working conditions and everything to do with Marxist union leaders trying to bring down the Tories politics. Personally in return I think the government should make strikes on such essential services illegal with disputes being forced to binding arbitration. Southern region was picked for this due to more direct government involvement in running this service than with other franchises. >:( >:( >:(

There are other considerations, Mr Rods.

Sitting next to the great unwashed who fart, puke, swear, and smell like STMO's under garments. Many years ago an ex-girlfriend had a man self-abusing beneath a copy of the Financial Times sitting opposite her. Proper city gent he was, apparently.

Nah....I'd rather take my car or Learjet. :y

Luxury, pure luxury, compared to rural France. :o :o :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 19 March 2017, 00:20:37 »

The current disputes have nothing what-so-ever to do with safety or working conditions

Whilst I'm unaware of any threat to your own employment, I'm fully aware of your misinformed belief here.

I'm wondering ... what vocational experience/qualifications do you hold to substantiate such a ludicrous statement?

Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 19 March 2017, 00:32:36 »

DLR (Docklands Light Railway) carried 110.2 MILLION** passengers last year without any such problems, so, if they can do it why can't other systems ... simply just unions and "jobs for the boys" .. they couldn't actually give a s*** about passengers who they simply see as a bargaining chip .... IMHO

It's purely your 'humble opinion' ... end of. Reality is otherwise.

« Last Edit: 19 March 2017, 00:43:34 by Seth »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 19 March 2017, 00:42:02 »

I don't know how others feel, but I'm completely with the unions on this one. Apart from the safety issues reference closing the doors, I don't think the unions are making enough of passenger safety during the journey. If there is a problem on board, who can be contacted to raise the alarm? Women already feel vulnerable, how will this help?
And, surely, it must be a fare dodgers dream come true.

Fair play, you've pretty well hit the nail on the head here STEMO.

I don't frequent OOF very often these days ... and note that the (misinformed) keyboard warriors remain alive. Nowt changes ... it would seem!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 19 March 2017, 01:33:35 »

Seth - lets assume your right about the dispute being purely about passenger safety. As I said in a previous post, it is not the responsibility of the unions to fix that. It is the responsibility of management. All the unions need to do is let it be known tat they strongly disagree with it and their members will not be held responsible if any accidents occur because of it.
No reason  or justification at all for them to take industrial action over a matter which they are not responsible for.
If it involved the health & safety of the union members it would be a different matter, but it doesn't.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #44 on: 19 March 2017, 08:10:02 »

Any health and safety training course will start of by telling you that you are responsible for the safety of yourself, your workmates and just about everyone in the world.

Of course the unions are worried about job losses, isn't that what unions are for?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.