Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Clunks" from the rear (right hand side)  (Read 1841 times)

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
"Clunks" from the rear (right hand side)
« on: 26 August 2008, 11:35:47 »

Strange clunks have been heard lately from the rear (suspension?). Sometimes, when driving VERY slowly over a bump or curb there's a clear clunk -noise from the right hand side rear. Not all the times, not when rocking the car, nothing when I tried to check all the joints and bushes with a pry bar (no play wheresoever), no excessive tyre wear, its not the exhaust... No, not any loose items in the boot etc. Annoying to have the sound on the car, does not affect drive etc. What it could be? Shocks were done 2007, bearing to that side also and nothing else on the rear axle..

Drewomega

• Aviemore and Mallorca
    • SKODA Octavia Scout 2.0
    • View Profile
Re: "Clunks" from the rear (right hand side)
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2008, 11:45:07 »

Strange clunks have been heard lately from the rear (suspension?). Sometimes, when driving VERY slowly over a bump or curb there's a clear clunk -noise from the right hand side rear. Not all the times, not when rocking the car, nothing when I tried to check all the joints and bushes with a pry bar (no play wheresoever), no excessive tyre wear, its not the exhaust... No, not any loose items in the boot etc. Annoying to have the sound on the car, does not affect drive etc. What it could be? Shocks were done 2007, bearing to that side also and nothing else on the rear axle..

I have the very same thing on my 2003 Omega! I did have a post here somewhere, but unfortunately I am overseas at the moment. Didn't have time to fix before I left. Will be interesting to see your replies as that will be my first job when I get back to Blighty. (Whenever that will be!)
I'm always last in the office in the morning but I make up for it by leaving first.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2008, 12:05:24 »

Check the rear springs for breakage

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2008, 12:34:18 »

Based on visual inspection + pry bar its not the springs... I assume that a broken spring would be really cut off in to two pieces, so that would be clearly visible.

Any tricks to check the main bushes on the rear axle? What I did was lift the rear up and put the pry bar to almost every possible slot and tried to wiggle everything...

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2008, 12:36:35 »

or, a long shot, hand brake shoe lineing fallen off and catching in the drum? Spring got to be favourite tho.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2008, 12:40:11 »

Based on visual inspection + pry bar its not the springs... I assume that a broken spring would be really cut off in to two pieces, so that would be clearly visible.

Any tricks to check the main bushes on the rear axle? What I did was lift the rear up and put the pry bar to almost every possible slot and tried to wiggle everything...

Not so easy to spot a spring broken as that.

You need to visualy inspect the upper and lower small turns on the sprin as its here they fail.

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2008, 12:52:11 »

OK, will re-check the springs.

Handbrake not likely, works fine and just have serviced the brakes.

jimmas

• stevenage, herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2008, 13:31:00 »

yes had very similar problem and mine turned out to be broken spring

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2008, 13:45:16 »

is everything tied down on that side?  jack for example, anything else floating around in there.  I sometimes get this from the left, its my detachable towbar jumping around in the spare wheel
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 August 2008, 11:38:09 »

Emtied the whole car to eliminate any possibility for loose items. It maight be the spring as Marks DTM Calib suggested, have to re-re-check the small dia section. If spring is broken as you wrote, is it clearly broken or do I take the spring off to check it completely?

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 August 2008, 12:25:28 »

Emtied the whole car to eliminate any possibility for loose items. It maight be the spring as Marks DTM Calib suggested, have to re-re-check the small dia section. If spring is broken as you wrote, is it clearly broken or do I take the spring off to check it completely?

no need to take it off but jack the car up securely and have a good look at it.  Compare sides to see if there is a difference.  you'll probably spot a jagged end if you have a break
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

Alex W

• Intermediate Member
  • Northants
    • 2000W Facelift 2.5V6 Elit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2008, 19:29:37 »

Rear Springs are apparently a known weakness and breaks are sometimes very difficult to spot.

Mine actually passed an MOT when both rear springs were broken.

Picked up by another garage doing a service two weeks later. "Rear springs have gone mate, that's an MOT failure you know!". I took it back to the MOT tester in case I was being deceived and he still had trouble finding the breaks which were right at the very top.

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 October 2008, 12:03:28 »

It was no tthe springs. However, the right hand side one was in strange shape, e.g. it was kind of bent. But still I get the cklunks... Any ideas? Only occasionally, can not tell where or when, but sometimes when cornering and sometimes when reversing over some bump.

nen3906

• Tamworth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 October 2008, 17:51:49 »

Mine is identical....lol    Its more of an annoying tapping noise as if there is something loose, drives me mad.......more of an excuse to tur the radio on louder  lol
  I would be interested to see if anyone has similar and what the issues are.

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 October 2008, 18:58:39 »

I had this on our old 2.0 CD, facelift.

Found that it was the fire extinguisher bashing around in the compartment where the first aid kit goes (on the right hand side as you open the boot)

Easy fix (removed the fire extinguisher)

::)

« Last Edit: 14 October 2008, 18:59:25 by webby23 »
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.