Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Rear wheel bearing change continued

(1/5) > >>

polilara:
So, old bearing on the floor, nothing broken yet. I have tools to push new bearing in and I am now designin a nut system to pull the hub back in. Next I should install the flange to the inner side. How that tool should look like?

Nick W:
I use the old inner bearing race as a spacer to pull the hub back into place using its own nut. The race does need to be a loose fit, which is acheived by cutting a slot in it. Which is the easy way to get it off the hub.

polilara:
Hello, yes - my idea was to use id 34.5 spacers which are a bit larger than the outer dia of the groove part of the hub. As the dia 39 part of the hub (where inner race of baring sits) is shorter than the bearing there is no need to "loose fit". Perhaps estate is different than saloon or I misundesrtood again. However, my problem is get the flange back to the hub after having installed to hub to the bearing. How to do that?

Nick W:
Now I'm confused, the drive flange is easy: push it as far onto the hub splines as you can, tap it home with a mallet and tighten the nut to the specified torque setting.

Spacers for pulling the hub into the bearing go against the inner race of the new bearing. The spacer needs to be a loose fit on the hub so you can get it off easily. I have two in my bearing kit: one with a slot cut in it to get off the hub originally; and another, that my assistant removed with a puller, that I bored out in the lathe.

biggriffin:
All I do,is dress the hub with a bit of 800 grade wet/dry that's got oil on, then push the hub back in, piece of timber on the hub, then whack it in with a hammer, tighten it up with a windy gun,  :y

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version