Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Lowering Omega Elite are rear

(1/2) > >>

Omega Elite:
What is the best way to lower my Omega at the rear. It had the air shocks which makes is sit very high. I want to keep these shocks in as they are so comfortable. I read somewhere before about bending the level rod attached to the O/S wishbone, but I can't remember which way. Anyone?

YZ250:
The self levelling for the rear is on the right hand side of the rear axle, not the wishbone.  :y  You can pop the arm off the ball to experiment with heights, but I wonder why it's not going to the correct height.  :-\
I can remember posting the floor to wheel arch measurement a while back but can't recall offhand what it should be.  ::)

johnnydog:
From my own experience, using original VX self levelling springs should put the ride height at the correct level. I have fitted aftermarket 'one spring fits all' in lieu of originals previously, only to find the back end is jacked up too high. Refitting genuine springs brought the level down to what it should be. I currently have a 2.6 Elite with S/L shocks, but it has Suplex rear springs which are listed for vehicles with ride control, but it isn't right  - its too high at the back.
As the Elite springs are softer and this is compensated for by the S/L shocks doing more work to maintain the ride height than standard shocks, fitting 'standard' springs which are firmer means they don't compress as much and therefore sit higher. S/L shocks are good for bringing the back end up with a load on it, but won't bring it down if the springs are too firm.
To get the same right height, a firmer spring has to be shorter in length - this applies to any car, not just Omegas.
Original VX springs are progressively wound, and the pigtail is thinner than the main body of the spring to give the 'softer ride. Many aftermarket springs have the coils of the same thickness throughout, which means they are firmer and don't compress the same under load which jacks the rear end up. This is also probably one reason why Elite springs are prone to breaking on the first coil of the pigtail where the coil is thinnest.
Others may disagree - just my experiences if it helps.

Omega Elite:
I swapped out the original elite springs for mv6 ones but this had left it higher than the elite ones. Any other ideas on getting the rear down.

johnnydog:

--- Quote from: johnnydog on 19 May 2019, 01:51:06 ---From my own experience, using original VX self levelling springs should put the ride height at the correct level. I have fitted aftermarket 'one spring fits all' in lieu of originals previously, only to find the back end is jacked up too high. Refitting genuine springs brought the level down to what it should be. I currently have a 2.6 Elite with S/L shocks, but it has Suplex rear springs which are listed for vehicles with ride control, but it isn't right  - its too high at the back.
As the Elite springs are softer and this is compensated for by the S/L shocks doing more work to maintain the ride height than standard shocks, fitting 'standard' springs which are firmer means they don't compress as much and therefore sit higher. S/L shocks are good for bringing the back end up with a load on it, but won't bring it down if the springs are too firm.
To get the same right height, a firmer spring has to be shorter in length - this applies to any car, not just Omegas.
Original VX springs are progressively wound, and the pigtail is thinner than the main body of the spring to give the 'softer ride. Many aftermarket springs have the coils of the same thickness throughout, which means they are firmer and don't compress the same under load which jacks the rear end up. This is also probably one reason why Elite springs are prone to breaking on the first coil of the pigtail where the coil is thinnest.
Others may disagree - just my experiences if it helps.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Omega Elite on 20 May 2019, 01:31:48 ---I swapped out the original elite springs for mv6 ones but this had left it higher than the elite ones. Any other ideas on getting the rear down.

--- End quote ---

Refit original Elite S/L springs?.....? You answered your own question really......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version