Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: E10 Petrol Standard  (Read 1668 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
E10 Petrol Standard
« on: 20 May 2021, 15:39:18 »

In the latest Straight Six News from AutobahnStormers there is an interesting article reproduced from the Mercedes Benz Club UK Magazine.

It explains the legislation from 1st September 2021 to introduce E10 petrol as standard for the current 95 octane with Super grade petrol, previously 97 octane, being classified as E5.  Importantly it gives a link to the government website to check E10 petol suitability for our cars,  www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

According to that website the exceptions for Vauxhall vehicles states:

"E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Vauxhall vehicles with petrol engines, excluding:

Models with the 2.2 litre direct injection petrol engine, motor code: Z22YH (Vectra, Signum, Zafira)"

Some of you may know this already, but for me, and I suspect a lot of motorists, this is news I had not picked up on before.

It looks as though our Omega's are unaffected by this new petrol legislation.  So is this non-news or not? ??? ??? :D ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: E10 Petrol Standard
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2021, 16:21:40 »

The high pressure pump on that engine has always been fickle when it comes to fuel quality. Most exceptions seem to be either first generation direct injection or carburettor equipped cars. Basically the ethanol destroys the seals, and also gums the passages within the carbs as it breaks down.

Higher ethanol percentage fuels will go off much more quickly than non ethanol.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2021, 16:28:18 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2021, 16:54:57 »

Buy a diesel.....simples.
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2021, 16:55:15 »

The high pressure pump on that engine has always been fickle when it comes to fuel quality. Most exceptions seem to be either first generation direct injection or carburettor equipped cars. Basically the ethanol destroys the seals, and also gums the passages within the carbs as it breaks down.

Higher ethanol percentage fuels will go off much more quickly than non ethanol.

Ah, that goes to explain something I did not understand.

As a footnote to the article, Chris Kent explains that : "It should be noted that not all Super E5 grades contain Ethanol, Tesco being one, however this may change in the future". ;)

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2021, 09:01:18 »

On the hot rod forum it stated that the ethanol attacks ali so will eat fuel tanks , how resistant are the "rubber" fuel lines going to the tank unit ?? I do need to alter the plastic hard lines from the Omega to fit the Austin (about 2ft plus to long) so will need some e10 proof hose.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2021, 09:29:23 »

On the hot rod forum it stated that the ethanol attacks ali so will eat fuel tanks , how resistant are the "rubber" fuel lines going to the tank unit ?? I do need to alter the plastic hard lines from the Omega to fit the Austin (about 2ft plus to long) so will need some e10 proof hose.

You can easily buy ethanol proof fuel-hose, but it's best to get a known brand from a proper, trusted bricks and mortar supplier with a decent turnover. Gates from your local truck factor or a hydraulic supplier would be a good start.

I'd be amazed if the Omega shaped hard lines are going to be of much use under your car, but that's easily sorted at the hydraulics supplier: you buy 6mm bore nylon pipe for pneumatic systems which is basically the same stuff. It's cheap and easily worked. You fit your existing fittings by warming the end of the hose with a heat gun and forcing the fitting in. Gentle bends can be done the same way.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2021, 12:03:05 »

I want to know what it's going to do to my lawn mower.
I like red cars

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2021, 13:51:29 »

I want to know what it's going to do to my lawn mower.

Pulling the starting cord will make bang ever and the world will end....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.