Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "The Shed" - My Omega 2.5 TD CDX Auto Estate  (Read 11317 times)

Scatmancraig

• Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
"The Shed" - My Omega 2.5 TD CDX Auto Estate
« on: 29 June 2016, 22:16:00 »

For the last few weeks, I've been the owner of this fine machine (sniggers)....

It's a 1997 pre-Facelift 2.5 TD CDX Auto Estate in metallic black.  It's a bit battered and scratched, rust patches on the doors, but surprisingly solid around the rear arches and sills.  Nice clean interior too, just a few plastic bits that have become detached and held on with tape!  I picked it up off a local Facebook group for £250 with MOT till January.  It was advertised as having warped rear discs and a missing back box.  There's a few other faults too, but nothing that stops the car being used.  It's on 163k at the moment, I have paperwork and receipts up to 140k, so it has been looked after until the last few years.

So far, I've replaced the rear discs with a cheap set bought new off Ebay.  The old ones were VERY warped!  Now the braking is vibration free.  I've also managed to get the remote central locking fob working again, just needed a new battery and re-syncing to the car. 

I've only done a couple of hundred miles in the car so far, but nothing dramatic has happened so far.  Faults found so far as follows:

Cruise control not working
Air-con not working (or at the very least needs regassing).
Radio doesn't communicate with the dash display (wiring behind it is a mess!)
Engine oil dipstick isn't properly attached.
Engine and gearbox oil & filters need replacing.
Engine undertray missing.

I'll be ordering the necessary parts to replace the missing back box and doing the engine and gearbox fluids in the next few weeks.  I'm not to worried anout the cosmetic body issues as it's a daily hack, not a show car.  If the car behaves itself, I may try and get the cruise and air-con working, as I don't like to have switches that I can't use.

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
Re: "The Shed" - My Omega 2.5 TD CDX Auto Estate
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2016, 22:18:24 »

Does anyone have a spare centre cap for one of these wheels:

I could also do with a set of the bolts that hold the centre cap on, plus a key that matches them!  I can't post in the wanted section yet.  Or if anyone has a complete spare wheel like the ones on the car with a half decent tyre on, then shout up!

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2016, 11:35:10 »

Give DBG a shout about the wheel centre caps  ;)

He may have a few spare lying about  :)

Nice car that and well worth keeping on the road if you can  :y :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2016, 13:37:33 »

Craig is that you????

If so, yes, mate, in recompense for all the Monza/Royale assistance you gave me years ago I should be able to help with a centercap. Probably end up getting my worst one, if you'll forgive me, but very doable  :)

That motor looks a cracker!
« Last Edit: 30 June 2016, 13:39:49 by Diamond Black Geezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2016, 13:39:15 »

Just re-reading your wants list I may be able to help you on a few of them bits, undertray and trim especially.

Look on my profile and you'll see I do own a whole spare black, PFL Omega  :y if you want to come shopping one day, feel free!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2016, 13:49:19 »

I would use a short stainless button-head bolt to retain all the centre-caps. I suspect that if you check the existing ones that they are M8 threads.

migiestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Liverpool
    • 03 Omega 2.2 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2016, 14:34:29 »

A great looking car for the price. :y :y

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2016, 19:02:37 »

Craig is that you????

If so, yes, mate, in recompense for all the Monza/Royale assistance you gave me years ago I should be able to help with a centercap. Probably end up getting my worst one, if you'll forgive me, but very doable  :)

That motor looks a cracker!
It is me!  You must be James or James's Dad?  (Sorry, I'm getting old and can't remember everyones names!)  The car isn't that nice at all to look at close up.  The car has been keyed at some point previously.  There's the usual rust on the doors, and the drivers side rear door has a very noticeable dent in it.  But the rear arches are solid, the sills seems to be solid and the chassis rails are ok too!

Just re-reading your wants list I may be able to help you on a few of them bits, undertray and trim especially.

Look on my profile and you'll see I do own a whole spare black, PFL Omega  :y if you want to come shopping one day, feel free!
If yours is metallic black then I'm definitely coming shopping!  Are you in Grimsby/Cleethorpes?  There's a few little bits and pieces I'm probably going to need.  A centre cap is just the start!

Do you still have a Royale?

A great looking car for the price. :y :y
Indeed, I didn't think it was too bad.  It needs plenty of work, but I'm hoping to keep it on the road without shelling out too much.  I used to run Senators and Carltons by buying them cheap and always having plenty of stored spares.  Sadly I don't have the room for complete spare cars like I used to. 

I was going to look for something in better condition and pay a little more, but I guess I would have still needed to sort stuff out.  So I'm kind of pleased that the car is a little cosmetically challenged but otherwise ok as it means I have a little more in the budget for sorting those annoying faults!

« Last Edit: 30 June 2016, 19:11:19 by Scatmancraig »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2016, 10:07:44 »

I am the James, not the James' dad  :y

Yes, the Royale still resides up the drive, slowly returning to iron oxide with every passing winter  :y

We'll have to have a natter, as there's always bits I'm coming across, but lots now I'm passing u[p, as I've already got one/several spare. But knowing there's another very similar car out there, and just up the road, so to speak, I'm happy to help  :)

Are you doing Billing this year?

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 July 2016, 17:57:17 »

I am the James, not the James' dad  :y

Yes, the Royale still resides up the drive, slowly returning to iron oxide with every passing winter  :y

We'll have to have a natter, as there's always bits I'm coming across, but lots now I'm passing u[p, as I've already got one/several spare. But knowing there's another very similar car out there, and just up the road, so to speak, I'm happy to help  :)

Are you doing Billing this year?
Hi James!  Surprised you didn't twig on sooner that this was me as I put a photo of the car on my Facebook the day I got it! 

I am going to Billing on the Sunday, all being well I shall be going with Billy Tarr from Autobahnstormers in either his Carlton GSi or Lotus Carlton.  Are you going?

I will definitely have to pop up your way in the next few weeks for a catch up and forage for parts.  I definitely need an undertray.  There's a few interior bits that are broken in mine too.  Is your spares car a diesel?  Saloon or Estate?  I need the cover that sits in the middle of the cylinder head on the TD engine, it's missing completely on mine.  Plus I need a centre cap for the 6-spoke 15 inch wheels, and a set of centre cap bolts and matching key.  No doubt I will need other stuff as well!! 

Hopefully, I can tempt SWMBO to come along and deposit her and her mother in Cleethorpes, which will buy me a few hours of Omega time!!
« Last Edit: 02 July 2016, 18:06:07 by Scatmancraig »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 July 2016, 15:42:50 »

See you Sunday!  ;)

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2016, 16:16:49 »

Nice,  I had a v6 cdx estate same wheels and interior
You can get cap bolts and key from the bay for about 6 quid

I had to do the same thing as a bolt was missing and the cap glued on
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2016, 16:19:39 »

Nice,  I had a v6 cdx estate same wheels and interior
You can get cap bolts and key from the bay for about 6 quid

I had to do the same thing as a bolt was missing and the cap glued on

Don't go telling him that! I was going to sell him a set of the ebay ones for £7!  I've got to make a living somehow...  ;) :D ;D

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2016, 10:08:10 »

Finally got the exhaust fitted last night.  Turns out that mine only had a cat and a short section of the centre box pipe still on it.  You could hardly tell as it was still fairly quiet.  Why did they bother with two silencers as well, as you really don't need them on a 2.5 TD.

Was a real struggle to get one of the old centre box pipe bolts out of the flange for the cat/downpipe, took several hours to hack it out.  New exhaust came off ebay for £52 for both sections including a fitting kit.  Although it was a UK seller, it originated from Poland, and fitted perfectly! 

Next on the list will be to flush the coolant out as mine is not a healthy colour, and I want to be certain that it is before I remove the dodgy viscous fan.  Also need to test the electric fans too, as I obviously need them to work they way they should do.

Still waiting for the transmission gaskets and filter to be delivered, so that will be done soon as well, just need to get a decent quantity of ATF and crack on.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2016, 10:10:33 by Scatmancraig »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 July 2016, 16:41:09 »

Craig, you said above it needs an oil change. Please do that as matter of urgency. The TD's suffer if not changed at least every 3k. I do mine now at about 2k.  :y
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.