Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bilstein B4s vs Meyle HD drop links...  (Read 826 times)

05omegav6

Bilstein B4s vs Meyle HD drop links...
« on: 20 October 2014, 18:18:07 »

Bilstein B4s vs Meyle HD drop links....

Fitted a pair of Bilstein B4s to the front of another OOFers car along with Meyle Heavy duty droplinks and stumbled into a slight issue...

The droplink bodies are significantly bulkier than the standard ones, and to compound matters, the threads are about 4mm longer as well. The net result is that they're a bloody tight fit... ie the threads won't quite fit though the hole on the shock bracket. Obviously, once fitted the droplinks work as required, it is the fitting (and removal later) which raises the problem This was summat I discovered after the car was together as the droplinks were the last item to be fitted.

Given the two year warranty on the droplinks, chopping the threads is probably frowned upon.

In a push, the droplinks can be 'persuaded' into place with a light tap and a bit of careful positioning. Not ideal, but as said, was the last item to be done and was against the clock/daylight, so skipped the dismantling option...

Long term preferred solution is to open up the hole on the shock body bracket with a drill or file until the droplink thread neatly passes through :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Bilstein B4s vs Meyle HD drop links...
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2014, 18:36:13 »

Can't recall having an issue fitting on either of mine (both have B4's and Meyle HD drop links). That said, I've not tried to dismantle them!!!

chrisgixer

« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2014, 19:46:39 »

Might be a bit of paint in the holes.

Same both sides I take it?

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2014, 20:08:01 »

Might be a bit of paint in the holes.

Same both sides I take it?
Aye both the same :y

Could be paint ispose, half a mill at a guess :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2014, 20:59:16 »

I don't know why the threads protrude past the nut so much they just rust the nut on.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2014, 21:04:52 »

I don't know why the threads protrude past the nut so much they just rust the nut on.
Stops 'em coming loose I suppose ;D
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2014, 21:37:07 »

Well they do have an audible warning before that happens. Kaw, can you imagine the racket ? :D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2014, 09:39:48 »

Going to hunt out some plastic/rubber caps for when I do my droplinks. Had enough days struggling to remove them, soon as you get anywhere the thread starts spinning in the socket  :-[  It's ok if you have flats to stop it rotating, but you don't always.

I'd second the idea of paint in the threads... just carefully ream it out and ideally smear of grease on the bare metal, as this is always (in my experience) the first point where the chocks start rusting. I'm getting B4s eventually but painting mine before being fitted  :y

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.