Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vauxhall scrappag insentive  (Read 2437 times)

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
Vauxhall scrappag insentive
« on: 06 August 2017, 11:20:31 »

for a little while now I've been looking at getting an Astra for daily duties and retiring my omega to weekend summer use.
I know VX are offering a £2000 scrapag incentive but I was sad to see a mint looking 3.2 Elite with the words scrapag deal in the windscreen at my local dealers last week.
Pmacca, living the dream since 1995

Lincs Robert

Re: Vauxhall scrappag insentive
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2017, 12:00:14 »

for a little while now I've been looking at getting an Astra for daily duties and retiring my omega to weekend summer use.
I know VX are offering a £2000 scrapag incentive but I was sad to see a mint looking 3.2 Elite with the words scrapag deal in the windscreen at my local dealers last week.

Just a fact of life really. In the last official scrap page scheme back in 2009 a lot of perfectly good cars went to the crusher due to the £2000 on offer

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2017, 12:06:54 »

Why would anyone want to get rid of a perfectly decent Omega, to own any car made by Vauxhall these days.
Vauxhall is probably the most bland, downmarket, manufacturer of shite characterless cars on the UK market now. :(
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2017, 12:09:23 »

As I understand it Vauxhall say that any classics brought in on this scheme should not be scrapped but sent to auction or something.the trick of course would be convincing anyone that the Omega is a classic and therefore worthy of saving.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2017, 12:45:03 »

Why would anyone want to get rid of a perfectly decent Omega, to own any car made by Vauxhall these days.
Vauxhall is probably the most bland, downmarket, manufacturer of shite characterless cars on the UK market now. :(
I don't think Vauxhall have the monopoly on that.  It seems all cars now are either bland and unnoticible, or chavved up PoS.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2017, 12:58:34 »

What do you mean by NOW? That's been Vauxhall's position in the marketplace place for the last eighty years!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2017, 13:46:19 »

What do you mean by NOW? That's been Vauxhall's position in the marketplace place for the last eighty years!

Not all are bland and characterless. What about the Vectra and Viva? :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 August 2017, 13:48:19 »

I don't think Vauxhall have the monopoly on that.  It seems all cars now are either bland and unnoticible, or chavved up PoS.
All boxes that the Hyundai i40 ticks with plasticky abandon :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 August 2017, 14:05:27 »

Not quite. Until about 15 years ago they usually had one or two decent / interesting cars among all the dross in their range. Now they are all dross, even by 21st century standards.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 August 2017, 15:43:12 »

Not quite. Until about 15 years ago they usually had one or two decent / interesting cars among all the dross in their range.

even Toyota, manufacturer of the world's dullest cars, have the occasional lapse. The vast majority of buyers are as interested in their car as they are in their dishwasher. And that is why mass market cars(Vauxhall's natural position) are the way they are.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 August 2017, 18:57:38 »

True, but all of these companies use to have some real enthusiasts in their ranks, who every once in a while would manage to get a decent car made. In Vauxhalls case, I'm pretty sure all the enthusiasts are long gone.
Cant imagine them ever considering producing something like a Droopsnoot Firenza/ Chevette HS/ Carlton GSi / 24v Senator / Lotus Carlton, or even V6 Omega now or in the future.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 August 2017, 21:52:22 »

Sign of the times.

In the early 90's my father was working in Sweden and bought a sierra xr4i to go with. At the time you could buy a sapphire cosworth for little more (about £4K at the time for a c3-4yr old one). He chose not to purely because the one he wanted could not be prepped in time for him to take away.

These are now fetching £50k plus in some cases.

Similarly, a friend's father scrapped a number of jaguar e-types in the early 80's when no one wanted them. All cars have their time, take a massive slump and then some rise again. I have no idea if omegas will rise again, but they are certainly having their slump now!

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 August 2017, 22:04:22 »

Sign of the times.

In the early 90's my father was working in Sweden and bought a sierra xr4i to go with. At the time you could buy a sapphire cosworth for little more (about £4K at the time for a c3-4yr old one). He chose not to purely because the one he wanted could not be prepped in time for him to take away.

These are now fetching £50k plus in some cases.

Similarly, a friend's father scrapped a number of jaguar e-types in the early 80's when no one wanted them. All cars have their time, take a massive slump and then some rise again. I have no idea if omegas will rise again, but they are certainly having their slump now!

They sure are.

I've seen many 3.2 Elites for example for around £200 - £500 price range and some look pretty good from the pictures (this year).

When i bought one of my 3.2 Elites around May 2013 it was £700. So they have definitely been going down in value. Even ones in pretty good overall condition examples are now around £600-£1,000 where as a few years ago you'd be looking around £1,500 - £2,000.

How much cheaper will they get I can't say? ...I'd like to think the nice looked after examples will gradually increase in value soon. We will just have to wait and see...

Then again take the Senator for example. They are far and few between especially clean looked after examples. I did find this one for just under £7,000 and it does look good. So maybe there is hope for the Omega for example in similar condition in the future.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Senator-3-0-CD-24v-1993-52k-Only-Stunning-Condition-/132286581359?hash=item1ecce50a6f:g:HuwAAOSwr7tZh0sV

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 August 2017, 22:38:17 »

I sent a pair of 24v Senators to the scrappy 10 years ago. They had rusty rear arches but otherwise all good.
Couldn't give them away.  :(

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 August 2017, 01:26:04 »

Vauxhall do have there fans and enthusiasts cars, GSi, SRi VX220, MV6 and now VXR!
Interesting the same dealer where this omega came to die pointed out you don't see many omegas about adding "best car Vauxhall ever built"
scrapag schemes are a sign of the times and I hope jay Leno was right when he said we would commute to work in electic vehicles and use petrol at weekends for pleasure.
Pmacca, living the dream since 1995
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.