Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which laptop ?  (Read 4060 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Which laptop ?
« on: 02 December 2019, 21:17:50 »

Swmbo has had her Sony vaeiou for years and has been happy with it but its getting near the end of its life apparently.
She has a budget of approx. £800 to replace it but isn't sure what to go for.
Knowledgeable advice/ opinions welcome.
Tia.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Which laptop ?
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2019, 22:03:47 »

Well, I like my Microsoft Surface Pro 6. Expensive compared to the competition for an equivalent spec perhaps (Dell, HP etc) , but runs everything I need it to. You can get the newer SP7 i3 version for sub £700. Being able to use it as a tablet is a definite plus, and battery life is very good on mine. Definatley get the type cover keyboard, but I wouldn't bother with the pen or mouse options.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2019, 05:25:15 »

Rather than just say buy this....
I'd like to know her requirements.
£800 is a lot on a laptop (imho) £400 may be more than adequate without more knowledge.

Is she after lightness? battery life?  touchscreen?  size - Small / Medium / Large? What does she want it for and where does she use it?
« Last Edit: 03 December 2019, 05:26:57 by Jimbob »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2019, 08:17:10 »

Always used at home sat on the sofa, plugged into the mains and usually for internet browsing- a lot of it. Several hours per day.
I think reliability and solid robust construction will be high on her list of priorities. Don't think shes overly keen on touchscreen function as she has an ipad that doesn't get much use. She is also a fast touch typist and enjoys a bit of typing.
Tends to download quite a lot of concert footage onto her laptop, so plenty of memory, good image quality could be useful.
The Sony has lasted about 10 years, and she has been impressed by its solid feel and reliability compared to other laptops in the house during that time - Acer and my current Toshiba - so she might be best to go for another Sony ? unless they have declined in recent years ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2019, 08:59:32 »

Eboy will be along in a minute to let you know that they're all crap. HTH :y

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2019, 10:23:50 »

Solid and robust construction usually means weight, and manufacturers spend their lives trying to makes things lighter.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2019, 10:52:35 »

I doubt weight will be much of a concern for her as it wont need to be portable very often. She has thought about an Applemac but knows little about them, and new ones would be out of her budget.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2019, 10:53:19 »

I would feel neglected and disappointed if he doesn't.

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2019, 11:29:27 »

I doubt weight will be much of a concern for her as it wont need to be portable very often. She has thought about an Applemac but knows little about them, and new ones would be out of her budget.
You misunderstand, Albs, what I mean is your missus sounds as if she likes a weighty one (because they feel as if they'll take some welly) and most are very light now.

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2019, 11:33:47 »

My missus has an applemac, btw, and tells me they don't behave the same way as a windows laptop. So your missus would have to learn to use it if she bought one, and I'm guessing she wouldn't be fussy on doing that.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2019, 11:39:09 »

May have to mention to her to do research on quality rather than feel the heft and assume quality. Shes far more intelligent than me, so will probably explain slowly that she has already thought of that.
Her old Sony though, does feel like something that's well put together compared to most others I have seen. Not sure if they are still like that now though. Might be best to visit Laptops R us type shop and have a look at them I suppose
I think that's the problem with Apple. She could really stretch the budget and get one only to find she doesn't get on with it, as it will definitely be different to what she is used to..

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 December 2019, 12:14:45 »

With no exceptions. :)

aaronjb

« Reply #12 on: 03 December 2019, 12:30:01 »

With no exceptions. :)

Except the one from the mid 2000s that he's still using because it's better than anything produced in the last 15 years. Hm, so the same as cars, then?  ;D

Seriously though - don't go Apple; it is a whole new way of working that you'll either love or hate but to be honest, if it's just for browsing the t'interwebs, stick with what you know. I wouldn't like to go back to Windows now but even I'll admit that (as a tech bod) there was a learning curve when I moved to Apple a decade ago just as there'd be a (less steep) learning curve to go back to Windows 10 now.

I'd say steer clear of the bargain basement stuff that still has spinning rust for storage (rather than SSD) and limited RAM (RAM is king) but beyond that, go for something you like the look of because they are all much of a muchness unless you get into "high end" business stuff that is still built for reliability.

The HP Envy laptops look nice but are expensive (decent spec, though)
Look at the Microsoft Surface range, too - small, light, decent build quality and most of them are more powerful than my 9 year old MacBook Pro.

Basically, wander around Currys and pick one that floats your boat, then buy it online where it's cheaper. Just avoid (like I say) spinning discs (aka hard discs) and go for an SSD based machine with a reasonable amount of RAM and you can't go far wrong.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 December 2019, 12:48:26 »

Always used at home sat on the sofa, plugged into the mains and usually for internet browsing- a lot of it. Several hours per day.
I think reliability and solid robust construction will be high on her list of priorities. Don't think shes overly keen on touchscreen function as she has an ipad that doesn't get much use. She is also a fast touch typist and enjoys a bit of typing.
Tends to download quite a lot of concert footage onto her laptop, so plenty of memory, good image quality could be useful.
The Sony has lasted about 10 years, and she has been impressed by its solid feel and reliability compared to other laptops in the house during that time - Acer and my current Toshiba - so she might be best to go for another Sony ? unless they have declined in recent years ?

If you are after durability, a Lenovo Thinkpad would be a decent way to go if my experience is anything to go by. Our team at work have a total of 12 and they have lasted really well. Our guys spend about 50% of their time on the road so they are chucked in bags, dropped, used on trains etc and generally treated like company property (ie. badly). So far we have had two failures in about 2yrs across 12 units- both due to drinks being spilled on the keyboard ::). I would add that there have been a lot more spillages than that, but not all have resulted in failures.

They are quite costly to buy new (although they can be had within your budget), but I have seen an X260 - which is my current workhorse and will do more than you want it to refurbished - for under £300.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 December 2019, 15:27:11 »

I have a Dell Precision series at the moment that has been dropped, bashed and lugged around on a daily basis and feels nicely screwed together.

I would not advise an Apple compute platform these days, its the same hardware as all are using but with a fancy (Marmite ?) OS. Sadly the days when they had better compute power are long gone and you no longer get your moneys worth.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.