Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Change 2.5TD (BMW Engine)  (Read 8845 times)

JesterRT

• Intermediate Member
  • Stafford
    • View Profile
Oil Change 2.5TD (BMW Engine)
« on: 26 November 2006, 14:03:19 »

Please note that due to several stripped sump threads, Vauxhall have reiterated the following sump plug torques:
M16 oil drain plug - 45Nm
M12 oil drain plug - 25Nm

Tools
17mm Socket
36mm Socket (a big 'un!)
Short extension bar
Screwdriver
Torque Wrench
Bowl (big enough to collect the old oil in.  I use an old washing up bowl)
Gloves, Paper towel and a funnel all come in handy

Parts
Depends on the age of the car.  Mine should have been an early one, but for some reason took the later filter:
2.5TD (filter element) to ENG no 34398417 - 93180820 £10.90 + Vat retail
2.5TD (filter element) from ENG no 34408417 - 93180093 £7.60 + Vat retail
(Cheers Mark DTM for the part no's & prices)

6.5 litres of oil

Right then, time to get dirty.  Go for a short run and get the engine up to temperature.  The oil comes out nice and easy if it's warm.  Either jack the car up and put it on axle stands, or get the ramps out (watch the bumper, my ramps only just fit under there) and get the nose of the car in the air.  Once it's up and supported give the car a rock to make sure it's properly supported - you're going under there, so best be sure it's not going to drop on you.

Underneath the car there's a small cover that can be removed to reveal the oil sump.  Remove this by twisting it, and it just drops out.

You should be able to see the sump plug.  Have your container already under the car, and at hand.

Grab a 17mm socket and undo it, slowly.  Once it's loose get your container under the sump and begin to remove it by hand - it's less messy if you can hold onto the sump plug before it drops into the container of old oil.

Once the plug comes out, the oil follows it at a fair pace.

Whilst the oil continues to gently drains out, pop the bonnet and unclip the sensor.  There's a little tab to push in under the mounting bracket, and it just slides off.  I found I needed to move this just to get a bit more space.  I'm sure more nimble fingers could skip this step.

Get a plastic bag ready on the top of the engine to drop the old filter in.  Get the 36mm socket and undo the oil filter.  You will probably hear a lot more oil escape out of the bottom of the engine as you undo this.  In one swift movement, put the oil filter assembly straight into the plastic bag.  The oil filter may stay in the canister on the engine, if it does, just lift it straight out of there and into the bag.

In the filter kit from Vauxhall you should have three rubber rings, two small and one much larger.  Clean up the filter cap/stalk and then replace the two small rubber rings on the end of the stalk.

The larger rubber ring around the top of the cap needs to be replaced too.  Be gentle with the screwdriver,  don't want any gouges out the plastic.

Put the new filter on and you're ready for reassembly.  Drop it back into the container on the engine and turn it by hand to get the threads right.  Tighten it up (as written on the top of the cap) to 25Nm with a Torque Wrench.

Take the old copper washer off the sump plug (mine was particularly nasty since Vauxhall gave me the wrong one last time), and replace it with the new one from the pack.  Back under the car and pop the sump plug back in, tightening it to 45Nm (seemed excessive to me, but it was what was written on the service manual).
While your under there, pop the cover back on to hide the sump.

Fill with your favourite oil (Vauxhall's own oil is well priced).  I fill it with 6 litres, and then top up as necessary - use a funnel if you've got one, otherwise a steady hand will suffice.  There's only 1ltr between min and max on the dipstick.  Turn on the engine and wait for the oil light on the instrument panel to go out.

If you've removed the sensor, then clip it back on.  Bonnet shut, Job Done.  :D
« Last Edit: 24 July 2007, 18:30:40 by TheBoy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.