Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Courtesy light problem  (Read 2638 times)

pompilius

• Estonia
    • 2.6 FL
    • View Profile
Courtesy light problem
« on: 05 April 2016, 06:31:05 »

Hello!

I have a weird problem with the courtesy light. It used to light up anytime you unlocked the doors and other usual occasions.
Now it does not work - there is just 1V coming to the wires (the two outer ones, should be the correct ones). All other lights still work, puddle lights, boot light and map lights. Checked all the fuses, did not find any blown. The wire next to the plus wire going to the bulbs seems to have 12V always on (I accidentally shorted them and the lights came on). I do have leds installed in there, but the system has worked for at least a year now.
There question is - is there a relay for the interior lights or how are they controlled, I need to find out where the voltage goes missing?

Best regards,

Rainer
FL 2.6 V6 Design Edition

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Courtesy light problem
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2016, 18:13:58 »

Check F12, which provides the 12v.

The 0v is provided via the ATWS/CL ECU.
Grumpy old man

pompilius

• Estonia
    • 2.6 FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2016, 18:48:19 »

The fuse looked fine, replaced it anyway. Radio clock went reset, no change to the light.
Does anybody have a pinout for the light unit, I might come up with a bodge then.

Rainer

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2016, 19:17:20 »

Grumpy old man

pompilius

• Estonia
    • 2.6 FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 April 2016, 20:09:32 »

I appreciate the schematics, but to be honest I can hardly decipher the symbols but not the letters and numbers.

Rainer

pompilius

• Estonia
    • 2.6 FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2016, 20:39:59 »

It seems, that I made a wrong assumtion in the first post - it was not the wire next to +12V to the bulbs I shorted but the wire next the 0 for the bulbs, which incidentally is the common ground wire for all other gubbins in the assembly. This concurs with the information, that the light is controlled via cutting the 0V and also that the fuse is fine.
Looks like there is a deeper problem in the system - ATWS/CL does not work right. It is probably not likely, that the ATWS/CL ECU is accessible with "My Naff Code Reader" china clone? Is there maybe a +12V somewhere when a door is open so I can bodge a separate relay for it?

Rainer

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2016, 00:28:05 »

Try a different headlight switch...

pompilius

• Estonia
    • 2.6 FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2016, 05:33:45 »

Do you mean the headlights switch, no other switches to activate the light...

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2016, 10:50:22 »

Headlight switch... known good second hand will suffice. ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 07 April 2016, 11:37:32 »

Do the map lights work as they should?

The courtesy lights are switched from three independent sources... central locking, door contact switches and the headlight switch... pull the knob to switch the courtesy lights on :y

pompilius

• Estonia
    • 2.6 FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 April 2016, 11:43:23 »

The maps lights work (ignition on), the courtesy light does not, regardless of door unlocking or opening or pulling the switch on the headlight selector. Actually all other lights work as usual - puddle, boot, glove compartment, rear courtesy lights.
Will try to lend a headlight switch from someone (does the 0V go through the switch regardless if the door is open or unlocked?)

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 07 April 2016, 11:48:15 »

If all the puddle lights etc work when you unlock or open the door, that only leaves the headlight switch :y

The GreyYellow (GrGe) wire is the feed from the headlight switch. Return will be through the Brown (Br) wire :y
« Last Edit: 07 April 2016, 12:00:01 by Harris K Telemacher »

pompilius

• Estonia
    • 2.6 FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 April 2016, 12:47:52 »

Tried another switch, nothing changed.
Took the old switch apart (and the new), the pulling of the headlight selector connects two leads together. There is electrical connection from these leads to some other components as well - dont know if that is important...

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 09 April 2016, 15:19:11 »

Tried another switch, nothing changed.
Took the old switch apart (and the new), the pulling of the headlight selector connects two leads together. There is electrical connection from these leads to some other components as well - dont know if that is important...
Presumably you have tried a different courtesy light? If yes, then time to chase the wirting you shorted :-\

pompilius

• Estonia
    • 2.6 FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 April 2016, 09:00:17 »

After checking the light switch (took it apart, made sure that it was mechanically ok, the pulling of the switch switches the rear cigarette socket) and knowing that the light unit itself was fine, I gave up on the matter. I had an idea that I will just install a manual switch on the light unit itself one day.
Completely different matter occurred a week or so ago - one of the rear central locking motor was acting up, sometimes it worked and mostly not. So I bought a generic actuator for it and installed that yesterday. After arriving home the evening and opening the door - behold, the light is working!
Seems that the CL module somehow detected the problem with the door lock and prevented the light from coming on altogether.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.