Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2981008 times)

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #4530 on: 03 March 2013, 16:02:20 »

washed all the salt off  ;D ;D

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: 03 March 2013, 18:38:02 »

Looked at oil drip from wishbone bush, swapped winter wheels onto DTi so I can use the cheaper tyres on the 3.2 until I can get the wishbone sorted. Bought box of matches and trying to find can for petrol.

feeutfo

« Reply #4532 on: 03 March 2013, 18:57:08 »

Looked at oil drip from wishbone bush, swapped winter wheels onto DTi so I can use the cheaper tyres on the 3.2 until I can get the wishbone sorted. Bought box of matches and trying to find can for petrol.

Poly. Sorted!

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: 03 March 2013, 19:04:52 »

Poly. Sorted!

Yes I know, but there's no point putting polly bushes on and geo'ing it only to put new wishbones with pollys, droplinks, B4's springs etc on it in a months time and geo'ing it again. Just come at the wrong time really.... down to one car, etc etc.

feeutfo

« Reply #4534 on: 03 March 2013, 19:11:07 »

Poly. Sorted!

Yes I know, but there's no point putting polly bushes on and geo'ing it only to put new wishbones with pollys, droplinks, B4's springs etc on it in a months time and geo'ing it again. Just come at the wrong time really.... down to one car, etc etc.

poly will get you by, and they can be re used on the new set up no problem.

As the oil is fresh, the bush has only just failed, so I can't see the set up being miles out.

It'll last a couple of months without excessive tyre wear or handling issue. I don't see that there's anything to loose personally. Just means buying poly early.

Poly can be fitted without removing the wishbone. So current camber setting will be preserved.

No?

feeutfo

« Reply #4535 on: 03 March 2013, 19:12:45 »

If your worried about tyre wear, stick the winters in first. ;)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: 03 March 2013, 19:15:42 »

If your worried about tyre wear, stick the winters in first. ;)
Just put the winters onto the DTi (AKA The silver statue) so now have some wheels and tyres removed from the DTi that can sit on the 3.2 for now.... really don't want to trash the Conti SC3's... Was getting to like them, even on Elite jelly suspension.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: 03 March 2013, 21:27:03 »

Took the door card off. Bugger. Glued it.

Whilst waiting for glue to dry, thought I'd wash it. Bugger. Went to Homebase to buy some plumbing shite.

Washed it, put door card back on, went to fill it up. Bugger. No LPG.

Tried to use all of the SC5s leaving BP, started going towards Towcester for fuel, decide I can't be arsed, so attempt a U'ey at one of the junctions. Bugger, the SC5s won't slow the car down. Much noise from the passenger seat.

Decide not to touch anything else today.
Grumpy old man

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: 03 March 2013, 21:34:11 »

Finally got the ruddy LPG tank straps fitted. I bloody hate em. Sized up my 18" rims. May treat to a refurb before I fit them. Then I gave the LSD diff a clean and a coat of paint, I'll try to fit it this week.
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: 04 March 2013, 17:25:30 »

Got towed home by Green Flag :( Luckily only 5 miles. Very sensible and helpful they were too. :)

Driving down the dual carriageway at 60ish, low coolant warning came on followed by a load of steam from engine area, pulled over PDQ, temperature gauge never moved. On examination expansion bottle had about 1/2 inch left in it, engine bay absolutely covered in coolant Furthr examination, the small pipe, top left, from the expansion bottle, where it joins the radiator, broken off at the base :( , coolant still running out of the hole left.

So I'm pretty sure I caught it before any heat damage done.

Get home and have removed radiator completely now, many thanks to Chris Gixer and lazydocker for their help in trying to order one from carcooling.... but they don't answer the goddamn phone on either number. I've ordered one from eurocarparts, should be there at 0830 tomorrow.. just hope they get the right one ......

So why did it break .. now here's an oddity .... examining the bits, there is a load of black araldite type stuff all around where its broken ... so its been broken before and bodged ...now I haven't done it, and I've owned the car 5 years, yet the araldity stuff is shiny and new looking ......

8 February I had work done to replace the air con condensor, they told me they'd had to top up the coolant slightly and to keep an eye on it ..... so now my suspicions are kicking in ....  if they had removed the rad to change the condensor, then it would not be a "slight top up" it would be a whole load of coolant, if you don't drain the rad then how do you lose a "slight amount" of coolant when changing a condensor ???

Next, the last folks to work in that area were the air con folks, and a month later a bodge repair fails .... that if it wasn't them has not failed in the previous 5 years ....  a coincidence too far ? ... I think so.

I've phoned the MD of the air con company .. and he actually sees my point !! Not going to ask his mechs any questions, yet , wants to see the old rad and see if the bodge stuff is anything like anything they use in the workshop. He hopes he can trust his mechs, but admits that it's a possibility...... won't go further at the moment.

We wait and see .... :(

Need get this done ASAP as Chris's mum died Sat and I need to drive the car to Elgin on Thursday for the funeral, so here's hoping the new rad is the right one, and I get it in without breaking anything or not connecting something .... stand by for panic instructions sometime tomorrow !!!

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: 04 March 2013, 17:47:44 »

Ordered springs and genuine GM rear wishbone bushes  :y

Entwood, if a DTi radiator is the same and you are desperate you can always 'borrow' the one out of my DTi. Unfortunately I think the logistics may not work though.  :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: 04 March 2013, 18:15:52 »

Driving down the dual carriageway at 60ish, low coolant warning came on followed by a load of steam from engine area, pulled over PDQ, temperature gauge never moved. On examination expansion bottle had about 1/2 inch left in it, engine bay absolutely covered in coolant Furthr examination, the small pipe, top left, from the expansion bottle, where it joins the radiator, broken off at the base :( , coolant still running out of the hole left.

In my experience, from when the Silver Bullet dumped all 9 litres up my windscreen at "quite high speed" on the local dual carriageway, after Marks DTM Calib said "take it for a spirited drive", these engines are quite resilient to losing coolant in a dramatic fashion.

From that PoV, I'd be unconcerned :)

Need get this done ASAP as Chris's mum died Sat
:'(, please pass on my condolences
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: 04 March 2013, 18:21:08 »

Looked at it, as I cycled off to work  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: 04 March 2013, 18:28:17 »

Making progress on "bedding in" those crap SC5 tyres - the local BP *still* haven't got LPG. Its not difficult, but I'm sure I've mentioned, they are inbred retards.
Grumpy old man

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: 04 March 2013, 18:33:01 »

Got towed home by Green Flag :( Luckily only 5 miles. Very sensible and helpful they were too. :)

Get home and have removed radiator completely now, many thanks to Chris Gixer and lazydocker for their help in trying to order one from carcooling.... but they don't answer the goddamn phone on either number. I've ordered one from eurocarparts, should be there at 0830 tomorrow.. just hope they get the right one ......

So why did it break .. now here's an oddity .... examining the bits, there is a load of black araldite type stuff all around where its broken ... so its been broken before and bodged ...now I haven't done it, and I've owned the car 5 years, yet the araldity stuff is shiny and new looking ......

8 February I had work done to replace the air con condensor, they told me they'd had to top up the coolant slightly and to keep an eye on it ..... so now my suspicions are kicking in ....  if they had removed the rad to change the condensor, then it would not be a "slight top up" it would be a whole load of coolant, if you don't drain the rad then how do you lose a "slight amount" of coolant when changing a condensor ???

Next, the last folks to work in that area were the air con folks, and a month later a bodge repair fails .... that if it wasn't them has not failed in the previous 5 years ....  a coincidence too far ? ... I think so.

I've phoned the MD of the air con company .. and he actually sees my point !! Not going to ask his mechs any questions, yet , wants to see the old rad and see if the bodge stuff is anything like anything they use in the workshop. He hopes he can trust his mechs, but admits that it's a possibility...... won't go further at the moment.

We wait and see .... :(

Need get this done ASAP as Chris's mum died Sat and I need to drive the car to Elgin on Thursday for the funeral, so here's hoping the new rad is the right one, and I get it in without breaking anything or not connecting something .... stand by for panic instructions sometime tomorrow !!!

Sorry to hear that Nige :(
Retired

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.