Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance Database access  (Read 2116 times)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Insurance Database access
« on: 14 May 2009, 19:00:04 »

I assume people are aware of this link where you can check any reg number to see if it's insured! you know, the horrible neighbour, pleb in work , kn*b down the pub etc etc

http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/

wouldn't it be awful for them to get their car seized for driving without insurance!

I had a bad day but feel better now :)
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Welung666

Re: Insurance Database access
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2009, 19:01:39 »

If you use that link for someone elses vehicle YOU are breaking the law aswell! You tick the box to confirm YOU are the owner of that vehicle. Read the small print :y
« Last Edit: 14 May 2009, 19:01:54 by Welung666 »

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2009, 19:03:14 »

If you use that link for someone elses vehicle YOU are breaking the law aswell! You tick the box to confirm YOU are the owner of that vehicle. Read the small print :y

OK officer. Slap the bracelets on. I'll come quiet like. ;D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2009, 19:03:37 »

Wow!!  That's a great tool! :y :y

STMO123

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2009, 19:04:54 »

LIZZIE!! You've embarassed me now :-[ ::)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2009, 19:05:33 »

It's ok, im on the pleb in works computer :y
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2009, 19:07:10 »

LIZZIE!! You've embarassed me now :-[ ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :y

I think though to do that to you, a man of the world, would be very difficult! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Omega man 2

• Omega Knight
  • If all else fails, get out the oxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2009, 19:30:58 »

Mine came up as not insured.

Not surprised though as it was taken out of the uk nearly a year ago ::)

Welung666

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2009, 19:35:56 »

OK officer. Slap the bracelets on. I'll come quiet like. ;D

I would but I know you'd enjoy it Steve ;D ;D

KillerWatt

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2009, 20:31:41 »

wouldn't it be awful for them to get their car seized for driving without insurance!
The askmid site is just an indicator, it doesn't mean $hit in the real world and never will.
The reason it is worthless is quite simple, it's the driver who needs to be insured....not the vehicle.

El33t

• Midlands, UK
  • Has achieved 35.6mpg from 1 gallon of petrol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2009, 00:59:32 »

The reason it is worthless is quite simple, it's the driver who needs to be insured....not the vehicle.

The driver needs to be insured on that specific vehicle. You cannot drive a Ferrari with insurance for a Fiesta and say "but I'm the driver, and I'm insured!", and expect to get away with it.

If you see a car being driven on the public road, and the driver does not have insurance to drive that car, then they will get trouble from the law, as they are driving without valid insurance.

Of course, you can get comprehensive cover, which covers you third party if you drive your mate's car, up to a point. This is effectively insuring you on any car that you drive with the owner's strict permission.

Can't do that if you're under 25 anyway! Makes sense, to stop young 'uns like me getting their hands on their dad's 200bhp RWD barge...oh wait  :D.

KillerWatt

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2009, 07:39:09 »

You're first and third paragraphs are contradicting each other.

The database is simply an indicator, and it tells you that itself.

The database does not know who is behind the wheel.
The database does not know if it is a hire car.
The database does not know if it is a trade car.

Even English law states it is the driver who needs to be covered against a minimum of 3rd party risks, it makes no mention of the vehicle and never has.

The database is a good idea, and for the most part works.
However it is not infallible, and does even the police do not assume automatic guilt if the computer tells them the car has no insurance.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2009, 09:24:54 »

While I know what you're trying to say, I can't see how that can be completely true. eg A mate of mine had never had his own car for years, so therefore never had a policy out in his own name. However his two jobs both entailed driving, delivery van & taxi driver. Both vehicles could have been driven by anyone! I know that in the past, my Dad has had insurance for his car that was for 'any driver'  ;)

KillerWatt

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2009, 09:40:27 »

While I know what you're trying to say, I can't see how that can be completely true.
Let's say you have a car and you park it up on your drive because the insurance that you had for it has lapsed. Now at this point, the insurance database will (quite correctly) report that there is not a policy in force which makes mention of that particular vehicle.

Now I come along ( with a policy that lets me drive anything), and say "Lend us ya motor for the day Andy".
Providing I have your permission, your car has every right to be back on the public highway while it is in "my custody & keeping".

El33t

• Midlands, UK
  • Has achieved 35.6mpg from 1 gallon of petrol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2009, 09:41:55 »

You're first and third paragraphs are contradicting each other.

Well, yes and no. You can get fully comprehensive insurance, but if I got third party insurance on a Ford Fiesta, then I assume that I am only covered to drive the Ford Fiesta I got insurance for, which would indicate the car is insured to be driven, by me.

I will concede the point about the database, as I do not know exactly how it works. I assumed it trawled through insurance company databases to see if the details matched. Thinking about it, I doubt it could have every single insurance company in there!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.