Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: More crank sensor woes  (Read 6244 times)

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
More crank sensor woes
« on: 17 October 2019, 14:20:47 »

Hi folks. I’ve read all the history but I’m hoping for some inspiration!  Replaced the sensor with genuine gm Bosch part all way from Germany through dealer. 95 quid all in. Car ran fine for 2 weeks and hey ho same problem this morning. Starting difficult and now it’s cut out altogether.
I have inspected the two ends and they seem fine. I rerouted it up by the brake pipes to keep away from heat.
Any thoughts or tests. The code is 0335 crank position.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: More crank sensor woes
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2019, 14:40:13 »

Check the belt timing.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2019, 01:03:45 »

Sounds like you've already checked but just in case?

First I would want to confirm that the sensor cable is properly clicked home in the mating connector for the loom at the top rear of the engine. You could also unmake the connection and inspect the connector for damage or terminal displacement. At this age the plastic in the connector shells is fragile and it might be broken or loose. Clean the terminals with some electrical contact cleaner.

The sensor is obsolete so sometimes dealers obtain an aftermarket part for you, in an effort to be helpful. Your sensor should be a GM part #90540743 which will be marked GM and also Bosch 0 261 210 131. There will also be a Bosch logo. So I would want to confirm that is what I actually received?

So what is the exact description of the sensor on the invoice?
and/or
I seem to recall that it is possible to use macro mode on a camera to get a good photo of the sensor in-situ. Then you can enlarge the photo on a computer to confirm the number without removing the sensor, which can be a PITA.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2019, 11:33:25 »

I refer you to my reply#16 23sept19 on your earlier thread.
I reckon you have been sold a faulty sensor. You may have difficulty persuading your supplier of this. I see your car is a 2.6. I might have a spare off a car I have scrapped, if so I will send it to you.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2019, 16:12:23 »

If the new part is marked GM 90492061 on the head, then it's incorrect for your engine. The resistance is much too low, circa 540 Ohms Vs 850-900 Ohms for the Bosch part. This part is also listed for V6 Omegas, but it won't work on yours. It's for certain early 2.5 that have a matching ECU, but will fit on your car as it has the same loom connector. So what does the invoice say? Take a picture of the sensor in-situ?

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2019, 00:03:14 »

Really appreciate the feedback. I will get under the car tomorrow if it stops raining and have a fresh look. And I’ll check the contacts. I appreciate the offer Terry. After checking I will pm you. The dealer says it must be something else and would require the car to test it as I fitted the part and they don’t accept returns on electrical items!  Really helpful.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2019, 10:19:42 »

Did you not receive an invoice for the new part? What is the exact description and part number of the sensor? That might settle it without getting under the car.

And do you have the sensor you removed, the new one that apparently failed? What numbers are on that one?
« Last Edit: 19 October 2019, 10:23:46 by Enceladus »

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 October 2019, 12:59:26 »

Sorry to have raised your hopes. All I could find it my huge spares stock were a 2.0 cam sensor, a 2.2 crank sensor, a crank sensor labelled SIEMENS 09 148 306, and a crank sensor in a sealed GM bag, labelled part no. 9174621 twice, and on opening up the part is also labelled BOSCH 9174621, not the number your post says you need.

My spares heap is at my print shop, recently closed, includes wheels, bumpers, doors, and many boxes of assorted Omega parts. I will look again on Monday when I spend 2 hours waiting for bingo book customers, it will help pass the time.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 October 2019, 14:17:21 »

@terry paget
PM Sent
and
.............. and a crank sensor in a sealed GM bag, labelled part no. 9174621 twice, and on opening up the part is also labelled BOSCH 9174621, not the number your post says you need.
I believe your 9174621 sensor is for early 2.0 16V Omega with X20XEV and maybe also for Astra-F, Calibra and Vectra B with similar versions of the 1.8 & 2.0 16V engines. In addition it has straight rather than oval sides on the connector. So I concur, it's not for the Omega 2.6 V6 in question.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2019, 14:20:42 by Enceladus »

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 October 2019, 18:58:40 »

Invoice says 90540743. And I recall it having Bosch stamped on it. It’s persistent rain here as usual. I’m based over in Ireland at moment. I’ll check car eventually. I’ll probably remove and check the whole length.
Cheers again guys for your patience with this prolonged problem.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2019, 15:54:19 »

Well 90540743 is the GM part number for the Bosch 0-261-210-131 sensor. So you should find those numbers stamped on the head of the new sensor. And also on the old one, assuming it was original. It seems probable the new sensor is correct. But it's still worth checking.

Perhaps the mating half of the connector on the engine loom is broken and not making good contact with the sensor cable. Or your new sensor might have failed. There are reports on the forum of the dealer supplied parts failing, so its not unknown but much rarer than with 3rd party supplied parts.

Do you have the old sensor? Is there any damage to the tip? Did you fit the new sensor with a new o-ring? Might it have been pinched so the sensor is not sitting squarely in it's bore?
« Last Edit: 20 October 2019, 15:57:08 by Enceladus »

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2019, 17:52:03 »

Update. Removed and inspected. Has the Bosch number stamped on it 0261210131 and made in Romania as someone else said. Now interesting you mention it straight in bore.  It seemed loose!  And not being an expert on these matters it was covered in oil. I assume this is normal as it is stuck in the bottom of the engine, but I thought I’d ask. The electrical switch seems fine.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 October 2019, 20:40:03 »

Likely your cam cover oil seals have failed, usually because the seals have gone hard and the crankcase breathers are blocked, now oil is leaking down from the back of the engine.

Lift out the nearside ignition module and see if the plug wells are flooded with oily liquid.

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 October 2019, 00:36:46 »

Just to clarify. The oil is in the part of the sensor which is inside. Only visible when I removed it for inspection. Outside is ok. Is it normal to be oily.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 October 2019, 00:56:32 »

Just to clarify. The oil is in the part of the sensor which is inside. Only visible when I removed it for inspection. Outside is ok. Is it normal to be oily.
Yes :y
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.