Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: battery what size?  (Read 2060 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: battery what size?
« Reply #15 on: 07 November 2007, 15:57:32 »

Batteries are like lightbulbs and just not made the same as they used to be in fact our 05 plate Focus is on its second battery and alternator.

Probably some environmental nonsense that dictates that we can't put as much lead in them, or something. So, we make them slightly more environmentally friendly and throw away 3 times as many of them ::)

I remember my 1981 Morris Ital which I finally got rid of in about 1993 was still on its' original battery (had been in the family since new and i know it was never changed). My alternator died at one point and I drove around for a week with no charge to the battery. It held up fine.

PS anyone know about these new 'GEL' batteries being touted? how are they worth twice as much!?!?

Gel lead acid batteries have been around for ages in other applications such as aircraft, where spillages are not good. They are widely used as backup batteries in UPSs and burglar alarms.

Probably better suited to standby use than in a car, TBH, but they can be made to do the job. They are more expensive to make then a liquid lead acid battery, and not made in the same volumes at that sort of rating, hence more expensive to buy. They are also not as robust as liquid lead acid batteries but can be made smaller and ususally lighter for the same CCA, although AH rating will normally be less.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 November 2007, 16:02:03 »

Probably some environmental nonsense that dictates that we can't put as much lead in them, or something. So, we make them slightly more environmentally friendly and throw away 3 times as many of them ::)

***** Exactly.  This seems to be the way of thinking these days - look at the short term gain only forget the other effects.

I remember my 1981 Morris Ital which I finally got rid of in about 1993 was still on its' original battery (had been in the family since new and i know it was never changed). My alternator died at one point and I drove around for a week with no charge to the battery. It held up fine.

12 years for a battery - that is amazing.

Gel lead acid batteries have been around for ages in other applications such as aircraft, where spillages are not good. They are widely used as backup batteries in UPSs and burglar alarms.

Probably better suited to standby use than in a car, TBH, but they can be made to do the job. They are more expensive to make then a liquid lead acid battery, and not made in the same volumes at that sort of rating, hence more expensive to buy. They are also not as robust as liquid lead acid batteries but can be made smaller and ususally lighter for the same CCA, although AH rating will normally be less.

Agreed and I would add that they have quite specific charging requirements

Kevin
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 November 2007, 16:03:01 »

Sorry about the above post - I can't work out how to do multiple quotes / cut one quote up as Kevin did

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 November 2007, 16:40:44 »

Sorry about the above post - I can't work out how to do multiple quotes / cut one quote up as Kevin did

when you find out - let me know would you :y

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 November 2007, 16:59:23 »

If I do find out, I will.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 November 2007, 19:04:34 »

when you find out - let me know would you :y

If you open a post as a 'quote' then highlight the entire post and use cntrl c or cntrl insert to copy to pc clip board.

Use cntrl v or shift insert to copy from clipboard onto new post.

Edit reultant post to what you want it to read then tab out.

Repeat as required.

If quoting from multiple users, I normally open a second window to copy/paste from thread lsited there.

Or use the quote button in the thread options once the thread is open so it only says 'quote' instead of 'Quote from hotel21 on xzxzxz'.......

Probable someone else has an alternative though!!   ;D

« Last Edit: 07 November 2007, 20:21:43 by hotel21 »

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 November 2007, 23:45:34 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Respect! That one has always had me baffled as well  ;D  :y

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 November 2007, 09:53:15 »

Thanks for that Hotel21, I will try it out next time I need to quote in that manner

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 November 2007, 11:07:18 »

You should go have a play in the test area.  Its what its for!!     :D   :D   :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.