Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Parking on Pavements  (Read 3224 times)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Parking on Pavements
« on: 12 April 2018, 02:14:56 »

I can't believe this.... I know it's being marketed by a wanky firm flogging bicycle insurance... but;

https://www.eta.co.uk/2018/01/10/catclaw-tackles-illegal-and-dangerous-pavement-parking-by-bursting-car-tyre/

Thoughts please?  ;D

2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Automaticman

• Neston
  • Saxwood
    • Frontera V6 Omega V6
    • View Profile
Re: Parking on Pavements
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2018, 07:21:24 »

I can see someone standing on that and claiming, ridiculous notion  :o
When ya wanna shoot, shoot, dont talk !

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2018, 11:09:24 »

Far better to "name and shame" ....

https://selfishparker.com/submissions/?filter=pavementprats

as the Private members bill that was aimed at stopping it was blocked 2 years ago ......

(stick your reg in and see if you've been caught .....  :)  )

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2018, 11:27:47 »

Did you notice the item in the comments section - "It's not a real product"? They were obviously flying a kite to test reaction, most of which was negative.
They overstate their case, since many areas in Essex have council signs at the roadside depicting a grahic of a car half on and half off the pavement, thereby giving official sanction to this practice.
Driving on the pavement to avoid a blocked road? Cyclists do it regularly, even without a blocked road!

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2018, 11:57:58 »

I have no choice other than to park on the pavement outside our house, but it is a cul de sac side street so I don't really cause an obstruction. I think it's all down to what's acceptable locally, people have been parking on the pavement where I live for donkeys years.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2018, 13:18:31 »

It`s the same where I live, the streets are too narrow for bin wagons and emergency vehicles if we don`t half park on the pavement, it`s been like that since I moved here in 1999.

The Zed lives on the drive but only a few houses have drives and most houses have at least one car if not two, it would be a right bun fight should it become illegal overnight with 50% of the residents then having to park in neighbouring streets which would piss off those residents no end.

In fact thinking about it, it would cause a massive problem as out of five of the nearest streets only one can accommodate parking on both sides of the road and that is already heavily parked on.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2018, 15:04:49 »

It`s the same where I live, the streets are too narrow for bin wagons and emergency vehicles if we don`t half park on the pavement, it`s been like that since I moved here in 1999.

The Zed lives on the drive but only a few houses have drives and most houses have at least one car if not two, it would be a right bun fight should it become illegal overnight with 50% of the residents then having to park in neighbouring streets which would piss off those residents no end.

In fact thinking about it, it would cause a massive problem as out of five of the nearest streets only one can accommodate parking on both sides of the road and that is already heavily parked on.
Same here , our estate was built in the late 30s when the average working man was lucky to have a push bike let alone a car , I know people pushing buggies moan when they go past our house as they have to go on the road to pass , but the road just isn't wide enough  :(

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2018, 17:29:10 »

Why do people who have cars buy houses with no parking spaces? :P Tin hat time. ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2018, 17:31:38 »

OR, why don't we have roads that are adequately sized - we pay enough for them?  >:(

Ron.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2018, 17:38:10 »

Why do people who have cars buy houses with no parking spaces? :P Tin hat time. ;D

When this house was built in 1913, parking spaces weren't a requirement.
And where do you stop? When I was growing up, two car households were unusual. Now it's common for every driver to have a car, which can mean 4 or 5 cars.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2018, 09:27:39 »

The thing is, back when I was a lad, the streets of victorian terraced houses with no off-street parking had garage blocks distributed around the place where you could rent a garage to put your car in. My Grandad had such an arrangement and so there was no need for much on-street parking and his car was parked out of harm's way unless he was actually loading / unloading it outside the house.

His garage has now been developed - into more high density housing with insufficient parking. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 April 2018, 10:13:00 »

The thing is, back when I was a lad, the streets of victorian terraced houses with no off-street parking had garage blocks distributed around the place where you could rent a garage to put your car in. My Grandad had such an arrangement and so there was no need for much on-street parking and his car was parked out of harm's way unless he was actually loading / unloading it outside the house.

His garage has now been developed - into more high density housing with insufficient parking. ::)

I'm in the middle of town, and can think of two local blocks of garages: one has eight, and the other had 12 before it was demolished 3 years ago. Our house number is 299, which should give some idea of the problem. It's only the newer parts of town(late fifties onwards),which tend to be semis rather than terraces, that are better. And many of those drives and garages struggle with today's bloated cars.

The people who built this part of Chatham considered gardens to be important, but when the streets are parallel, there is no vehicular access to them.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2018, 12:08:05 »

I live in an old town with some very narrows streets. Stopping and parking on pavements AND double yellow lines is regarded as "normal". If this was not possible, one chippy, three take-aways, one small corner shop would almost certainly go out of business. It's bloody annoying if you're walking along the pavement, the police and authorities turn a blind-eye, but it's how it is . . .
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2018, 19:00:01 »

In the normal course of events I never used to particularly notice such things,but when Maureen was recovering from her first stroke and I took her out in a wheelchair it really did become a pita at times made all the worse because on the streets where it was happening there was absolutely no need to park onto the pavement in the first place!Since Maureen passed away I've gone back[on the occasions I'm on foot]to not particularly noticing it.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.