Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 78   Go Down

Author Topic: Corona virus Europe  (Read 128184 times)

STEMO

Re: Corona virus Europe
« Reply #420 on: 15 March 2020, 16:44:39 »

Was in Costco earlier, and punters were going berserk over bog roll, which was being limited to 1 pack per customer, for obvious reasons.

There are 45 rolls to a pack.

Yet people were still trying various stunts to get multiple packs.

Christ, no wonder there is a shortage if families are getting through 45 rolls or shitter paper that quickly.
I went down to our local co op this morning, a small supermarket. As soon as I got in the door, bog roll. Further down the aisle, dried pasta and rice, plenty of it. Someone said they couldn't get in the Aldi car park up the road, so they had obviously discounted the co op and gone straight to Aldi.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: 15 March 2020, 17:33:39 »

What has come clear today is that the plan is to get over 70's & anybody with chronic pre-existing health conditions that makes them vulnerable to Covid-19 to self-isolate with at least a 12 week lockdown & all under 50's carrying on as normal, schools staying open etc, so the majority get it over the next 3 months to build up herd immunity. The 50-69 age group is a grey area with I suspect most of the hospital admissions, ICU critical cases & deaths being due to chronic health conditions.

This approach implies taking a short term massive 3-6 month economic hit, that it doesn't mutate further from the current S & L types. As more people have had it then there life can return to normal, but for travel they may need to have an antibody test to prove they've had it with a stamp put in their passport? What is going to get hit very hard over the next 3-6 months hardest are:

1. Travel, tourism, hotel & hospitality industries, Virgin asking for the UK passenger airlines getting loans to the tune of £5-7.5bn from the government which will be paid back once they recover. Where the majority of my work is for an insurance broker that specializes in travel insurance, they & I are going to have to take a hit here. Fortunately, I've got enough in my rainy day fund to see me through to about September. But as a type 2 diabetic I will be part of this isolating lockdown for 3 months. It is going to be very tough on the many who are employed on zero hours contracts where many will be working zero hours.

2. Entertainment, cafes & restaurants will be second heaviest hit industry.

3. Any non-essential retailer or business as people will be pulling their belts-in.

4. Property market as this is always hit hard in times of uncertainty.

But it will be a limited time hit in the UK where I suspect in lockdown countries it will be prolonged with multiple peaks, which if it follows the 1918 Spanish flu profile, where a lowesh summer peak, a quiet autumn was followed by really gruesome massive 2nd winter peak which the UK government wants to avoid with Covid-19.

The Italian statistics show that there have no deaths in under 30's, 2 in the under 50s, 10 in the 50-59 age range, 60 in the 60-69's, 274 in the 70-79's, 355 in the 80-89's and 75 in the over 90's. The ICU figures follow a similar profile.

This profile is very different from the Chinese one for two reasons 50%+ of Chinese men smoke, but even more telling is the long term lung damage caused by their chronic air pollution where their air quality is one of the worst on earth.

As for the UK Government's approach I personally think they have played it very, very well to date where our infection rates have been below those of Italy, France, Germany & Spain by about 2 weeks, which has bought more statistics & more insight into what will hopefully be a best outcome strategy, where we have all got to responsibly play our part.

If this strategy works hopefully it will be adopted by other countries, so the world can get back to normal over the next 6 to 12 months.

China needs to now really act over the eating of raw wild animals where by tradition eating these 'delicacies' is considered 'healthier', including live baby mice, bats, dogs etc. than domesticated animal's cooked meat. A Chinese university study published in March 2019, where a Chinese coronavirus caused SARS found that Chinese bats carry a wide range of them just waiting to jump species. :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

STEMO

« Reply #422 on: 15 March 2020, 17:34:58 »

What has come clear today is that the plan is to get over 70's & anybody with chronic pre-existing health conditions that makes them vulnerable to Covid-19 to self-isolate with at least a 12 week lockdown & all under 50's carrying on as normal, schools staying open etc, so the majority get it over the next 3 months to build up herd immunity. The 50-69 age group is a grey area with I suspect most of the hospital admissions, ICU critical cases & deaths being due to chronic health conditions.

This approach implies taking a short term massive 3-6 month economic hit, that it doesn't mutate further from the current S & L types. As more people have had it then there life can return to normal, but for travel they may need to have an antibody test to prove they've had it with a stamp put in their passport? What is going to get hit very hard over the next 3-6 months hardest are:

1. Travel, tourism, hotel & hospitality industries, Virgin asking for the UK passenger airlines getting loans to the tune of £5-7.5bn from the government which will be paid back once they recover. Where the majority of my work is for an insurance broker that specializes in travel insurance, they & I are going to have to take a hit here. Fortunately, I've got enough in my rainy day fund to see me through to about September. But as a type 2 diabetic I will be part of this isolating lockdown for 3 months. It is going to be very tough on the many who are employed on zero hours contracts where many will be working zero hours.

2. Entertainment, cafes & restaurants will be second heaviest hit industry.

3. Any non-essential retailer or business as people will be pulling their belts-in.

4. Property market as this is always hit hard in times of uncertainty.

But it will be a limited time hit in the UK where I suspect in lockdown countries it will be prolonged with multiple peaks, which if it follows the 1918 Spanish flu profile, where a lowesh summer peak, a quiet autumn was followed by really gruesome massive 2nd winter peak which the UK government wants to avoid with Covid-19.

The Italian statistics show that there have no deaths in under 30's, 2 in the under 50s, 10 in the 50-59 age range, 60 in the 60-69's, 274 in the 70-79's, 355 in the 80-89's and 75 in the over 90's. The ICU figures follow a similar profile.

This profile is very different from the Chinese one for two reasons 50%+ of Chinese men smoke, but even more telling is the long term lung damage caused by their chronic air pollution where their air quality is one of the worst on earth.

As for the UK Government's approach I personally think they have played it very, very well to date where our infection rates have been below those of Italy, France, Germany & Spain by about 2 weeks, which has bought more statistics & more insight into what will hopefully be a best outcome strategy, where we have all got to responsibly play our part.

If this strategy works hopefully it will be adopted by other countries, so the world can get back to normal over the next 6 to 12 months.

China needs to now really act over the eating of raw wild animals where by tradition eating these 'delicacies' is considered 'healthier', including live baby mice, bats, dogs etc. than domesticated animal's cooked meat. A Chinese university study published in March 2019, where a Chinese coronavirus caused SARS found that Chinese bats carry a wide range of them just waiting to jump species. :(
I got as far as 'schools staying open' and, as I know that's not true I didn't read any further.

STEMO

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: 15 March 2020, 17:59:28 »

If they shut the pubs in Ireland then we will know things are really serious.
Bahrain and Vietnamese GP,s are now also postponed.
Daughter told work today she is working from home from Monday. Serious asthma problem has made her decide it isn't worth taking the risk. Particularly as she went back to work the day after an op on her shoulder a few months ago and the only reaction was " you don't seem very happy at the moment, cheer up for gods sake".

Update. Irish Govt. have asked all pubs to close for two weeks. So it must be really serious.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #425 on: 15 March 2020, 18:01:58 »

Daughter told work today she is working from home from Monday. Serious asthma problem has made her decide it isn't worth taking the risk. Particularly as she went back to work the day after an op on her shoulder a few months ago and the only reaction was " you don't seem very happy at the moment, cheer up for gods sake".

Update. Irish Govt. have asked all pubs to close for two weeks. So it must be really serious.
St Paddy's day on Monday, bet Liverpool will be leaping.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: 15 March 2020, 18:14:30 »

Likewise Steve >:(

None of all that pompous, self-righteous panic mongering bullshit does anything to guarantee that I will have a job at the end of this week, let alone the end of the month...

Rationally, I know that this is a short term problem, but it's difficult to stay positive when certain people think that they know better than anyone else. Especially when I know full well that if my Mum, like many others gets it, then it will almost certainly kill her.

If you're so oppsing clever Rods, then perhaps you should better spend your time doing rather than spouting :-X
« Last Edit: 15 March 2020, 18:20:04 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: 15 March 2020, 18:23:37 »

Yes, very serious indeed, and I bet all the shops selling booze will now be over run! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

And people are still panic buying toilet rolls! :o :o  Come on, booze must be more of a priority! :D :D ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: 15 March 2020, 18:24:20 »

.....stay positive when certain people think that they know better than anyone else.

The thing is , no one does know , it's new , look what has happened in 3 months
advice is changing daily , they want it to spread , oh dear ,it's spreading  :o

no one knows long term what will happen , so surely a cautious approach is wise
in 12 months we could all be dead , or over this mild cold , who knows

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: 15 March 2020, 18:32:18 »

But we are all, thankfully, miles (or should that be 100's of thousands) away from the death toll of Spanish Flue in GB during 1918/19.

Yes, sadly, there will be many deaths and we all MUST be careful as people are going to be affected, even if, like DG, it is by way of their employment. :'( :'( :'(

But this virus is still all being blown out of proportion and causing panic that, without the media, could have been avoided.

But, hey, I know FA, so I am now going to withdraw into my home for months.................no I bloody will not, I am English, as in Keep Calm and Carry On!! :D :D ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: 15 March 2020, 18:34:32 »

The Irish have lost their touch....  :-\

You'd think they of all people would have one last knees up before going into hibernation!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: 15 March 2020, 18:38:58 »

The Irish have lost their touch....  :-\

You'd think they of all people would have one last knees up before going into hibernation!  ;D

Now that is an idea I can go with; a bloody good Celtic wake! 8) 8) :D :D ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: 15 March 2020, 19:00:14 »

They'll all be heading to Belfast on Tuesday.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: 15 March 2020, 19:10:26 »

They'll all be heading to Belfast on Tuesday.  ;)

I am going to book a flight now..................oh, hang on there will be no flights ::) ::) :'( :'( :'(

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: 15 March 2020, 19:15:09 »

Really looking forward to hearing the announcement that Ryanair has gone to the wall, used them once & never again absolute shite.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 78   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.