Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: xenon headlight adjustment for continental use  (Read 9357 times)

TheOutcast

Re: xenon headlight adjustment for continental use
« Reply #15 on: 20 August 2006, 23:04:54 »

The picture shows the back of the dipped light. The lever is inside the rear access to the main beam light. Take off the rubber cover and you should see it.

Modify: That is, the rubber cover behind the main beam, not the one you can see in the picture.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2006, 23:06:34 by TheOutcast »

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 August 2006, 00:46:27 »

OK cheers, I'll have a look tomorrow if it's dry.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 August 2006, 11:51:45 »

Sorry, just realised my post about not seeing lever there was not very helpful, and I should have pointed out where it was  :-[  (I was busy yesterday, and I felt I was recovering from an autopsy after a Saturday night session...)
Grumpy old man

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 August 2006, 21:46:20 »

Found the driver's side lever, switched it and it certainly tilted, but worse! So it seems they're already set up for UK use it seems, beam pattern isn't too impressive especially for projector HIDs!

Here's a quick pic I took with my phone parked in front of a garage (apologies for the huuuuge pic!  :-/):

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 August 2006, 12:48:39 »

And why wouldn't it be set up for UK use - its a UK car?

Setting it for continental does not tip them up to right, it gives a 'flat' beam which is also (rightly) lower...
Grumpy old man

TheOutcast

« Reply #20 on: 24 August 2006, 13:45:57 »

Setting it for continental does not tip them up to right, it gives a 'flat' beam which is also (rightly) lower...
It wouldn't be set up for UK use if the previous owner had had changed them to take the car abroad, and then not bothered to switch them back on their return.
I'm sure it must happen, what with it being such a P in the A to change them. [smiley=shocked.gif]
In the picture, the lights do look higher on the left than they do on the right, so, I'd guess that they are OK.
If in doubt you could try moving the lever and seeing what happens, or, you could take it to your local MOT station and have them check it. [smiley=smiley.gif]

MOD: Or, if you're really desperate, you  could take it to your local Vx dealer!! [smiley=grin.gif]

« Last Edit: 24 August 2006, 13:48:34 by TheOutcast »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 August 2006, 18:14:25 »

It wouldn't be set up for UK use if the previous owner had had changed them to take the car abroad, and then not bothered to switch them back on their return.
I'm sure it must happen, what with it being such a P in the A to change them. [smiley=shocked.gif]
In the picture, the lights do look higher on the left than they do on the right, so, I'd guess that they are OK.
If in doubt you could try moving the lever and seeing what happens, or, you could take it to your local MOT station and have them check it. [smiley=smiley.gif]

MOD: Or, if you're really desperate, you  could take it to your local Vx dealer!! [smiley=grin.gif]

As TheBoy says, the lever just chops off the left dip beam pattern. It doesn't make them dip to the right. Much the same as sticking black tape on ordinary headlamps.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 August 2006, 20:23:52 »

Yeah I know what the lever does, but the beam pattern doesn't have much of an upward tilt on the left even though it's in UK mode! Hence why I thought maybe it was tilted down. I'm convinced my BMW has a much better beam pattern, the lights certainly do a far better job on the road. If I get round to it I'll take a similar photo of that against the garage door.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 August 2006, 21:11:05 »

...... I'm convinced my BMW has a much better beam pattern, the lights certainly do a far better job on the road. .....

Probably! It was twice the price when new!  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 August 2006, 11:24:33 »

PaulM - have you tried moving lever to other position to see if it makes a difference (wouldn't be the first time the user guide was wrong ;)). Also, IIRC, the levels need to be in opposite positions (so for UK, 1 side up, other down etc)...
Grumpy old man

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 August 2006, 11:24:49 »

Yep, tried it both ways. The photo shown is as far as it will move in that direction. So I guess I'm stuck with it like that.

Interestingly enough, I was driving my dad's 330Ci last night which has halogens and those seem to light the road better than my Omega. So much for wonderful HIDs... maybe VX should concentrate on designing the lights properly first >:(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 August 2006, 12:06:30 »

Beemers have always used a round headlight - looks a bit 1950s, but is the best shape for a reflector headlight.  Most other manufacturers have used a more styled shape, but always a compromise...

Not sure if above applies to projectors...

My Omega has best light I have ever had (but them I refuse to own Beemers ;)), and is better than my Mum's 3 series (Halogen), and about same as my brothers similar aged 540 (HID), probably slightly worse than his new X5 (HID).

HIDs degraded much worse than Halogen with respect to dirt and grime (hence legal requirement for a cleaning system) - so assuming your washer system works (and you regularly clean the stubborn marks off by hand), what state are the headlights it (being motorway cruises, may have lots of tiny, tiny chips)?
Grumpy old man

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 August 2006, 12:45:49 »

They seem OK, a few small chips but nothing major. I do clean them whenever I'm cleaning the windscreen etc, which during summer is quite often to get all the damn flies etc off!

I'm wondering if the "bulbs" are past their best, HIDs do last a long time but get duller (and shift towards blue) as they age. At around £60 each for replacements, I think I'll live with it for now ;)

Saying that, I've definitely had worse lights. My old Audi's lights were atrocious, I even went to the extent of wiring a relayed 10-gauge feed straight from the battery to minimise voltage drop, then fitted 100W bulbs. Small improvement, but they were still crap! I think the reflectors had dulled causing them to soak up most of the light, but being sealed units it's a complete PITA to do anything about it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 August 2006, 21:53:41 »

The original Omega reflector headlamps, now they are bad. I've been out t-cutting the lenses - improvement, but still piss poor...
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.