Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluetooth Wireless Dongle  (Read 8446 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Bluetooth Wireless Dongle
« Reply #45 on: 17 June 2019, 13:45:10 »

And, of course, dependent on your Wi-fi speed and quality.

Ah, that is interesting. My BT fibre optic, well to the green box in the street, meets all the speed checks I have done and for me in practical terms is usually as fast as I need, and is supersonic compared to how fast my iPad loads!

So, could it be the internet speed to the iPad that stops it from working well with big internet sites, or, as said, my iPad (yes, it is years old!) basically past it?

Time for a new iPad perhaps, as it looks as though I am keeping my (still non-Bluetooth) Desktop PC! :D
Try you iPad on a speedtest site in various areas of the house.  If its old, the only 2.4GHz Wifi might be g standard (54MBps), which translates in reality to about 20-23Mbps best case.  If it supports 5Ghz, that frequency doesn't penetrate walls too well, so might only reach the better speeds when close to the router.

My gayPad is an Air <something>, about 4yrs old, and perfectly fine once booted.  The pace of mobile development, plus the fact that mobile OS was built without thinking about security in any way, means the hardware quickly goes out of date, and is impossible to upgrade components to faster, newer options.  That's the same for Android and iOS devices.  Windows tablets - which I would not recommend unless you really need one - fair better due to the maturity of Windows.

What iPad would you recommend in 2019 that gives what you would expect and demand please TB? ??? ???

With what you and STEMO is saying it strikes me that I need a new, and now I'm not bothering to change my PC I'm thinking why not! :D :D ;)

PS I am trying to use the BT speedtest on the iPad but for some reason it won't let me!! >:(

STEMO

« Reply #46 on: 17 June 2019, 15:31:26 »

From my iPad:

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 17 June 2019, 16:03:20 »

Thanks Steve, that looks good :y

At the moment, for some reason, the MyBT on my iPad is not letting me to do anything to check!

I'll keep on trying ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 17 June 2019, 17:36:49 »

A PC doesn't have built in obsolescent, and MS support all OS's for at least 10yrs from launch.  Mobile devices do.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 17 June 2019, 17:48:46 »

A PC doesn't have built in obsolescent, and MS support all OS's for at least 10yrs from launch.  Mobile devices do.

Understood :y :y

STEMO

« Reply #50 on: 17 June 2019, 18:00:07 »

A tablet doesn't have windows updates, though.  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 17 June 2019, 18:03:11 »

Now I am really going to show my ignorance........my iPad does not have Windows on it, but can you buy a iPad or tablet with it such as Windows 10 so it can talk to my PC? ??? ??? ??? ???

Many thanks ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 17 June 2019, 18:19:29 »

Now I am really going to show my ignorance........my iPad does not have Windows on it, but can you buy a iPad or tablet with it such as Windows 10 so it can talk to my PC? ??? ??? ??? ???

Many thanks ;)
You can, but it would be easier to buy an Apple desktop to talk to the iPad
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 17 June 2019, 18:31:30 »

or buy a decent windowa PC and android tablet and avoid over-priced fruit named products
store all music ,films and files on a NAS drive
sell all the fruit named products
cider and apple sauce for the sunday roast pork leg is all you need

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 17 June 2019, 18:53:38 »

No, it has Apple updates or Android updates instead. And those stupid Mac things have their form of updates as well.

All operating systems need updates, be it Windoze or anything else.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #55 on: 17 June 2019, 19:01:03 »

I've never had a problem with updates on my iPad but, if I'm honest, I really don't try to do anything complicated with it. Browsing, online banking, managing my energy account, BT, the odd flutter.........stuff like that. I'm sure it will do much more than I ask of it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 17 June 2019, 19:01:54 »

Many thanks ;)
Yes, but as said earlier, unless you *really need* a Windows tablet, I cannot recommend getting one.  I have a few, because I have valid needs for such devices.

For a general purpose web/email tablet, the iPad is hard to beat in performance, reliability, build quality and price...   ...a £59 Tesco Hudl Android tablet is a piece of shit.  All decent tablets, irrespective of what they run, start at around £400ish.  Each OS manufacturer, be it crApple, Google or Microsoft will try to trap you in to their upsells, such a iCloud/Google Drive/OneDrive etc, and try to make it inconvenient to use other storage or apps...   ...so if you need that level of integration, that may sway you.  But Windows (desktop) is so open, its generally trivial to integrate at that end.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 17 June 2019, 19:05:18 »

I've never had a problem with updates on my iPad but, if I'm honest, I really don't try to do anything complicated with it. Browsing, online banking, managing my energy account, BT, the odd flutter.........stuff like that. I'm sure it will do much more than I ask of it.
It still does updates (or at least should - if you have disabled it, add yourself to the list ;)).  Its generally a bot more intrusive than Windows, because its unusable for longer (Windows Update tries to do more in the background).
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #58 on: 17 June 2019, 19:06:43 »

It still does updates (or at least should - if you have disabled it, add yourself to the list ;)).  Its generally a bot more intrusive than Windows, because its unusable for longer (Windows Update tries to do more in the background).
20-25 minutes. It downloads in the background and I can install when I choose. But you know that already.

STEMO

« Reply #59 on: 17 June 2019, 19:10:19 »

Sometimes I do something on the iPad accidentally. I end up with a split screen or the screen I'm on floats off into the top corner. These things must be really useful for some people, but I haven't got a fickin clue........ ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.