Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: This weekend’s toy...  (Read 7198 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
This weekend’s toy...
« on: 03 June 2018, 23:39:09 »

In an effort to get the house ready for sale, I had a stack of external painting to do and a slipped slate to slot back. So, hired this little beauty.

I should add that the handsome chap in the basket is actually my father. There was a small weight limit issue that meant I could use the machine at its fullest extension.  :-[. It was a rather close run thing, we nearly had to put one of the supporting feet in the damn hallway.

Impressive piece of kit. But then, apparently they’re nearly £45k to buy, so they ought to be  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: This weekend’s toy...
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2018, 00:05:51 »

:y :y Do you require a cherry picker  (MEWP) licence to use or hire one?  ??? It always seems higher looking down when you're in the basket than when on the the ground looking up  :-[

Nice looking house  :y :y :y :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2018, 06:35:51 »

Lovely looking, very well maintained, period house. :) :) :)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2018, 07:50:09 »

Yes, I love the traditional build too - and gorgeous red bricks!  8) :y

Ron.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2018, 07:52:17 »

I think its a grey area about needing the licence for a householder hiring one of these.
The hire company gives the basic operating instructions and then its down to the hirer.
On a site its totally different due to the amount of other bodies around.
Yea, nice machine

Keith ABS

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2018, 08:02:39 »

Did the hire company deliver it for you? Fantastic looking bit of kit.

We had a defunct chimney stack to reduce and cap back in 1982 at the backof the house. We hired the smallest  cherry picker lorry and were horrified when we got to the place that they had given us a free upgrade. I asked the guy to show me how it worked. He just assumed I knew how to drive a lorry. Rush hour from outskirts of Leicester to centre! First roundabout i couldnt apply enough lock as there was little or no power steering. When we got home I couldnt switch it off. Just stalled it in a gear. When I took it back i left it running in the yard and they switched it off with a pull button under the seat.

Nice looking house. They dont make bricks like that anymore.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2018, 09:03:28 »

I have only one thing to say... duck that!

Heights are for other people ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2018, 09:46:04 »

Nice  :y

How much was that to hire, did they give you some points on how to operate it? Seen a property locally we like, but needs a fair bit of work. One of these would make it far easier for painting and sorting the guttering.

Also, lovely house  :y

Love a period property like that, been eyeing a few up in the Leeds area.  :-X

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2018, 10:07:16 »

That'll be quite the commute to London! ;)

A very 'young' city now, though, I think - a far cry from when I was in that area 20 years ago (fortunately!)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2018, 10:33:38 »

Regarding the machine, It came on the back of a standard (12 x 6'?) plant trailer, it folds down super small and I think it would go through a 4' gap if you pulled the tracks in  :o. No licence was required as I'm not on a site/public place, I've had quite a lot of kit over the years that I would have needed a certification for if I were using it away from home. All I got was a 5 minute demo and the sage advice "don't crash into anything::). They are quite pricey (£180 for the weekend), but I got a LOT done, probably spent 20hrs on it over the 2 days, and to scaffold the same area would have been about £400-450, so in that sense, its good value.

Thanks for the kind comments on the house, we bought it from a retiring couple who had lived there and raised a family for over 20yrs, sadly what they hadn't done was any kind of work on the place other than interior decoration during that time. We've been there 4yrs and its only now back to the state it should always have been in. Sadly we won't be staying long to enjoy the fruits of our labours, but we have both learned a huge amount and I will be sad to leave the place.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 June 2018, 10:44:41 »

Did it stay in the same position?

The legs, I mean.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 June 2018, 11:00:08 »

The machine basically has 2 modes, when the arm is fully collapsed you can retract the legs and move it around on its tracks. Then when its in position you push a button on the remote and it will self-level on its feet and let you go up. Its relatively idiot proof in that you can't move the arm if its not happy that its stable, and you cant raise the legs or operate the tracks if the arm's not fully down. It will also trigger a weight warning, or stop you moving all together if it detects movement in the feet beyond what its happy with. As our drive is rather sloped, I did have to move it about a bit despite its substantial reach.

Edit: Found a pic of the machine itself "mid levelling"  :y

« Last Edit: 04 June 2018, 11:02:34 by jimmy944 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 June 2018, 11:14:07 »

That'll be quite the commute to London! ;)

A very 'young' city now, though, I think - a far cry from when I was in that area 20 years ago (fortunately!)

Leeds office is apparently "bleeding" Development Managers to other companies moving there, it's becoming quite the 'tech hub' of the North, or so I've read. So I registered my interest about doing my job there, my jaw nearly hit the floor when we researched property prices.  :o

I can either buy what I have now and basically be mortgage free, or continue paying it and have a huge period house. One caught my eye that had a huge 3 room basement, thinking Cinema room, games room for me and play room for the kids.  :D

Regarding the machine, It came on the back of a standard (12 x 6'?) plant trailer, it folds down super small and I think it would go through a 4' gap if you pulled the tracks in  :o. No licence was required as I'm not on a site/public place, I've had quite a lot of kit over the years that I would have needed a certification for if I were using it away from home. All I got was a 5 minute demo and the sage advice "don't crash into anything::). They are quite pricey (£180 for the weekend), but I got a LOT done, probably spent 20hrs on it over the 2 days, and to scaffold the same area would have been about £400-450, so in that sense, its good value.

That's not bad  :y

Although as you point out, not sure you could easily get this to the rear of a house, via a traditional gate/side path access :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 June 2018, 11:37:39 »

I've never thought of hiring one of those and that's not a bad price really!  :y

My gable end is very exposed and is in need of a coat of paint.  I've always done it with ladders, but as I'm getting older the apex seems to be a lot higher and scarier!  ::)  I could get one of those down the side.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 June 2018, 11:44:08 »

Long story short,  we got British Gas to quote for a replacement boiler & within that quote was £450 for scaffolding to reach from the top of my flat roof garage to the house roof ..... all of 10 ft. So the £180 for a week end hire of the cherry picker looks very reasonable.  :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 June 2018, 13:39:07 »

How much was that to hire, did they give you some points on how to operate it? Seen a property locally we like, but needs a fair bit of work. One of these would make it far easier for painting and sorting the guttering.

I think that would be a good move for you. Nice part of the country. Still got its traffic jams but as you say you get a lot of house for your money.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 04 June 2018, 13:52:06 »

I think that would be a good move for you. Nice part of the country. Still got its traffic jams but as you say you get a lot of house for your money.

There's only one downside .. he'll be ~150 miles closer to uncle STEMO..  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 June 2018, 17:03:58 »

I recall my course and certification for various mechanical lifting platforms in a previous role.  You can imagine it, somebody shit scared of heights, and having to fully extend every single one I had to go on.  And although it was actually probably no wind at all, it felt like a hurricane when above building height ;D

I've fallen off too many ladders and telegraph poles (including falling off a pole on my pole climbing course - apparently a first ;D), my balls aren't big enough now to be more than an inch off the ground ;D
Grumpy old man

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 June 2018, 18:20:51 »

:y Big boys toys ! very nice house ,  I'm guessing Edwardian or late Victorian ?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 June 2018, 21:18:03 »

Thanks :) and a very good guess. Completed in 1904, and started in the yr Queen Vic dropped off the perch  :y

I've fallen off too many ladders and telegraph poles (including falling off a pole on my pole climbing course - apparently a first ;D)

;D  ;D ;D

I may have just had to clean beer off my phone screen!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 June 2018, 16:26:48 »

Thanks :) and a very good guess. Completed in 1904, and started in the yr Queen Vic dropped off the perch  :y

I've fallen off too many ladders and telegraph poles (including falling off a pole on my pole climbing course - apparently a first ;D)

;D  ;D ;D

Try 1901. :y

3 years to build a house. Lazy bastards. :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 June 2018, 16:37:39 »

;D  ;D ;D

I've been trying to think of a way to answer that post. I guess he ended up rolling about on the floor... but not in the way I did when I read about it.  ;D ;D ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 June 2018, 17:34:20 »

;D  ;D ;D

I've been trying to think of a way to answer that post. I guess he ended up rolling about on the floor... but not in the way I did when I read about it.  ;D ;D ;D
I know sympathy is hard to find on OOF. Bastids ;D

The falling off on the course actually worked out well, as one of the girlies on the course was very sympathetic that evening ::)
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 June 2018, 17:58:13 »

I think that would be a good move for you. [highlight[Nice part of the country[/highlight]. Still got its traffic jams but as you say you get a lot of house for your money.

Nope...it`s a shithole and the infrastructure is even worse.

The north side of Leeds is the only area worth considering unless you`re looking at ten miles or more out from the centre.

If I had the money I`d be gone from here and be somewhere nice and quiet with less council housing.

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 June 2018, 20:32:34 »

everyone I meet new to the area, seems to have moved from Leeds ::) to sherburn in elmet, south milford,monk fryston etc

they must all agree with you.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 June 2018, 21:43:16 »

There are some nice places outside of Leeds but it`s not the place it used to be, I was brought up in Yeadon near Leeds and Bradford airport and it was regarded posh, even though it wasn`t but I wouldn`t move back there now, even though where I live isn`t great.

Leeds doesn`t get any higher than an E in the insurance ratings which speaks for itself.

In six years I`m mortgage free so I might be tempted to move east towards Beverley, some lovely places out that way. York is nice too but to much of a flood risk.

aaronjb

« Reply #26 on: 06 June 2018, 08:34:50 »

York is nice too but to much of a flood risk.

Not to mention chuffing expensive if you actually want to live in York, rather than "in York" outside the ring road (Shipton, Haxby, Stockton etc.. used to nip through those every morning to avoid the A64 between the A19 and the A1079, and that was 20 years ago! I dread to think what the ring road traffic is like at rush hour, now..)

[edit] Do you still risk getting stabbed if you go to Chapeltown? ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 June 2018, 08:54:58 »

There are some nice places outside of Leeds but it`s not the place it used to be, I was brought up in Yeadon near Leeds and Bradford airport and it was regarded posh, even though it wasn`t but I wouldn`t move back there now, even though where I live isn`t great.

Leeds doesn`t get any higher than an E in the insurance ratings which speaks for itself.

In six years I`m mortgage free so I might be tempted to move east towards Beverley, some lovely places out that way. York is nice too but to much of a flood risk.

I have been thinking Ossett area, Wakefield.  :-\

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 June 2018, 09:34:08 »

I went to ossett and came away with a wife.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 June 2018, 13:05:59 »

I have been thinking Ossett area, Wakefield. :-\

I think that's pretty close to STEMO territory !  :o ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 06 June 2018, 13:45:41 »

I have been thinking Ossett area, Wakefield. :-\

I think that's pretty close to STEMO territory !  :o ;D

Uncle STEMO left Wakefield, so you can draw your own conclusions.....  :D

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06 June 2018, 18:43:46 »

Ossett is quite nice, my old boss moved there from Leeds years ago as he didn`t like it there any more though he did live in East Leeds which is pretty rough, if I ever have to go there I take the works van and leave the Zed at home.

Be warned that the traffic out of Leeds on the M621 is bad between 4.30 and 6.30 and is equally bad going in after 7am.

STEMO

« Reply #32 on: 06 June 2018, 20:18:08 »

Don't do it, Tunnie. Just don't.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 June 2018, 07:50:52 »

Ossett is quite nice, my old boss moved there from Leeds years ago as he didn`t like it there any more though he did live in East Leeds which is pretty rough, if I ever have to go there I take the works van and leave the Zed at home.

Be warned that the traffic out of Leeds on the M621 is bad between 4.30 and 6.30 and is equally bad going in after 7am.

Thanks for this  :y

If we did do it I’d be commuting into Leeds Dock area.  :)

Don't do it, Tunnie. Just don't.

;D ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 June 2018, 07:51:39 »

;D ;D ;D

Already got one of those, so not a problem.  :D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 June 2018, 09:03:11 »

;D ;D ;D

I believe it's acceptable to have more than one wife in Leeds Tunnie!  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 June 2018, 10:26:04 »

;D ;D ;D

I believe it's obligatory to have more than one wife in Leeds Tunnie!  :)
It's a cultural thing ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07 June 2018, 13:02:51 »

;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07 June 2018, 13:50:35 »

;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

.. he's already mostly filled a Zafira. Get the snip before trying anything like that, Tunnie, for God's sake! ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07 June 2018, 17:15:10 »

Uncle STEMO left Wakefield, so you can draw your own conclusions.....  :D

A match made in heaven. I hope they're very happy together  :o

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07 June 2018, 21:51:07 »

;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

.. he's already mostly filled a Zafira. Get the snip before trying anything like that, Tunnie, for God's sake! ;)

On paper it's a 7 seater, still 3 seats empty  ::)  :D  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07 June 2018, 21:59:43 »

If you can get five child seats in it, then crack on :y

aaronjb

« Reply #42 on: 08 June 2018, 08:52:39 »

Good god man, that's not the kind of advice he needs or the next thing you know there'll be a thread on which 18 seater minibus to buy! ;D

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 08 June 2018, 09:37:12 »

Good god man, that's not the kind of advice he needs or the next thing you know there'll be a thread on which 18 seater minibus to buy! ;D

Then when he moves to Leeds, after dropping the kids at the local multi-faith school,he can do taxi driving,.
It's a win-win situation.
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 08 June 2018, 12:23:05 »

It's alright, he's oft inflamed by my suggestions but rarely does he actually do what he's told ;D

Besides I know at least five people without kids, and no intention of ever having any, so there's a bit of space going ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.