Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem after problem after...  (Read 19648 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Problem after problem after...
« Reply #120 on: 22 November 2019, 18:39:35 »

Worth a check, bearings may be getting on, they're original to the car.

I have told an 'untruth' above in as much as I do technically have an alternator - but it is in bits, in no state to be put on the car - it was its internals which are now in my alternator. Was going to swap the aux pulley for a freshly-greased one, but what with everything it's not really been the priority. I have two aux pulleys, one sits in the boot ready for swapping, I try and swap then annually.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 22 November 2019, 23:36:43 »

Try the idea of running the engine with no aux belt fitted, see if the RPM still changes significantly when heated rear screen/windows moved ... ie large electric load ??? Obviously needs a very well charged up battery before you start, or maybe even try it with a battery charger connected at the same time ???

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 23 November 2019, 10:16:37 »

Hmm.. Ie: If rpm doesn't alterbthat proves is in the alternator / charging system? Worth a go.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 23 November 2019, 18:19:45 »

The rpm may well drop with the belts attached and alternator working as the extra load would make the alternator work harder       But.   That's one of the jobs of the icv.to bring the speed back up to the set level.( ideally quick enough so as not to notice it)(maybee with the icv connector unplugged it may show more ?)
With the belts off nothing should realy happen unless the battery is very low as there wouldn't be any physical loading anywhere.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 23 November 2019, 18:59:48 »

Right chaps, today's daily update.

- God, this might as well turn into a 0-60 thread  :D -

Turned her over, struggled to start and then... knocked her off after barely 30 seconds running. I then conducted an experiment... I then fired her up again, she started instantly. Engine still stone cold, remember, and with a large volume of charge taken out the battery seconds ago.

I would suggest if the issue is entirely the battery not being charged / poor earth, etc, the engine shouldn't fire up straight away 2nd time. However, if the issue is down to a drained fuel line, then the first laboured start primed it, the second of course was instant, because the fuel line/rail was already primed. That's my opinion, anyway  :)

The stalling does feel very 'ECU dying' and related to the electric side of things, though I agree.

Went underneath, cleaned the ground lead both ends with wet n dry, gave the block a good clean up, too. I visually examined the connections at the alternator and to be honest they looked fine, grey and dry, no dusty corrosion or anything (though didn't actually undo any as it's so cramped to get at them, I'll admit)

Main wire to starter looked a bit rusty, to be honest. Worth giving that a clean? or is that not affecting anything here?

Finally can anyone confirm there's another ground connection at the rear, behind a panel in the boot. Found a reference by Kevin Wood from years ago, but I couldn't see one anywhere. I thought it worth checking as I recently had a rear end respray and it's not beyond the realms of impossibility that they snapped/removed it during the job. But I can't see one.  :-\

So, more evidence, what do we think?  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 23 November 2019, 21:38:47 »

Does the MID go blank when the engine cuts?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 23 November 2019, 22:26:15 »

Don't recall it doing so, pretty sure it doesn't. Just lights on binnacle like ignition position 'II'. I've sat with engine idling, knocked headlamps on, and the screen goes black momentarily, however, knock lamps off, then repeat and the screen stays fully illuminated, as normal  :-\

Tomorrow after work I'll go on a test drive, car is still on axle stands out front at present, but needs to be back on the road for Monday, see if I can get her to repeat the issue, and double check.  :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 24 November 2019, 16:53:34 »

Right, test drive.... same as before/worse than ever, if anything!

Took a good while to start, nearly caught several times, I'd say 5-8 seconds. I'll put this down to her being barely run, started several times, switched off moments about 24 hours ago. Made sure I went for a 10min drive just to get things moving again, get the battery back up to normal. Still did the stalling thing, of course  ::)

Oh, MID didn't go black, DG.

So, open fuel cap, rag and match, then.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 24 November 2019, 16:55:45 »

Injector loom correctly and fully plugged in following Dis pack work?

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 24 November 2019, 19:29:06 »

As in the plug that physically goes into the DIS pack? Should be, at least my moving it means its the work of moments to check.

It does feel like something there could be of issue, for instance an overflexed section of loom, which is breaking down, now its relocated.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 24 November 2019, 19:38:47 »

As in the plug that physically goes into the DIS pack? Should be, at least my moving it means its the work of moments to check.

It does feel like something there could be of issue, for instance an overflexed section of loom, which is breaking down, now its relocated.
is the coilpack bolted down to metal if relocated  ? do the bolts form the earth on these ,they do on some Vauxhalls  :-\
has the crank sensor been swapped  :-\ i can't remember ,try the original  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 24 November 2019, 19:48:28 »

Nope. As in the loom that connects to the injectors... ::) sodding great plug with 8 wires that officially clips to the rear lifting eye. Which is next to the dis pack... ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 24 November 2019, 20:20:44 »

Ah, that one :y  Well, again, as far as I'm aware. I'll have to check tomorrow, its a bit tucked away.

And no, the DIS pack isn't 'earthed' via any of its bolts...should it be?  :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 24 November 2019, 20:22:13 »

And crank sensor is genuine GM brand new, however you're right, as there was no issue with the original, I was thinking today of swapping back. Next time she's up in the air ill try it.  :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 24 November 2019, 20:24:42 »

Ah, that one :y  Well, again, as far as I'm aware. I'll have to check tomorrow, its a bit tucked away.

And no, the DIS pack isn't 'earthed' via any of its bolts...should it be?  :-\
put some electricary rope on all 4 bolt lugs,and connect electricary rope to a earth and find out  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.