Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My jobs to do this winter/spring  (Read 12423 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: My jobs to do this winter/spring
« Reply #15 on: 04 January 2018, 19:25:32 »

Meyle HD are the only droplinks worth fitting in my opinion. Genuine GM last about 10K now and all the others are utter shite lasting far less.

Meyle HD on daily driver for the last two years (over 70K) with no issue and running on the other cars with lower annual mileages also with no issue.

My wishbones were supplied by ATP and came with drop links and track rods (all fitted by Saint Serek); does this mean they will have a short life?

Ron.

Only time will tell...  :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 January 2018, 22:08:52 »

Please explain to me what powder coating of wishbones entails, and what the point of it is.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 January 2018, 22:57:49 »

Please explain to me what powder coating of wishbones entails, and what the point of it is.

It replaces paint. It's only applicable to metal objects, so the wishbone would need to be completely stripped of all the bushes, ball joints etc. Then you really ought to blast it back to clean metal, before spraying an electrostatically charged powder over it. Finally it gets baked at about 200degrees to melt the powder into one homogeneous coating. You'll have seen it on cheap tubular structures - things like garden swings and trampolines - as they are a pain to paint efficiently.

Is it worthwhile on a wishbone? Not in my opinion; there are too many sharp edges on a flexible part which mean that the coating is even less reliable than a properly applied paint. But then I can't see any need to do much to a part that's best considered consumable.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 January 2018, 02:26:53 »

Is it worthwhile on a wishbone? Not in my opinion; there are too many sharp edges on a flexible part which mean that the coating is even less reliable than a properly applied paint. But then I can't see any need to do much to a part that's best considered consumable.

I've got a shelf full of used wishbones (probably 8 or so) - all removed for excessive play in either the vertical bush or ball joint. I've already got new genuine VX vertical bushes in my stash and poly bushes on order. I want to poly bush the horizontal one and hopefully stiffen up that part. If I buy 'new' wishbones I'll have to either have to buy genuine VX ones (for $$$$) or after market ones (at probably £80 ish a side). I'll then have to press out one or two perfectly serviceable horizontal and vertical bushes to replace with the ones I want to use.

Makes more sense to me to just press out the (used) bushes from the best pair of wishbones on my shelf. I can get powder coating done quite cheaply locally- perhaps £10 a pair. I've had quite a lot of parts on the Carlton done, and they always seem to last better than after market painted ones. Agree it's very dependent on the quality of the strip down and coating though.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 January 2018, 10:20:37 »

One think that might be an issue with powder coating is that it's brittle, so an item like a wishbone will pick up stone chips very quickly. I think they'd need a coat of stone chip paint on top to last, which then calls into question the value of powder coating them at all. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 January 2018, 11:04:27 »

So, VX dealer this morning...

1a) VX-09192250 RH front shock £100
1a) VX-09192249 LH front shock NLS
1b) VX-90541754 Front Springs NLS

2c) VX-09156605 Front wishbone vertical bush £25.05

4a) VX-90447156 Rear Donut bush £68.50
4c) VX-24404062 Handbrake cable £74

The above are full list prices (you should get discount) and everything that is actually available has to come from Germany so 10+ days delivery. I was tempted by the genuine shox - not much more than the B4's, but I wasn't aware they were handed and the LH one is NLS. Wonder what I'll find when I take the old ones off? 

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 January 2018, 11:07:44 »

One think that might be an issue with powder coating is that it's brittle, so an item like a wishbone will pick up stone chips very quickly. I think they'd need a coat of stone chip paint on top to last, which then calls into question the value of powder coating them at all. ;)

Several people have said that, but I've never had an issue - despite several trips through gravel traps at various circuits. I suspect it very much depends on the quality of the prep before the powder coat goes on - but the same is true for paint.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 January 2018, 12:25:49 »

Genuine Vx front shocks are only handed because of the brake hose/wiring bracket. Aftermarket ones use a differently shaped bracket so only one part is required.

The only item on that list I would buy is the wishbone rear bush.

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 January 2018, 10:46:51 »

Four Sachs shocks can be bought for less than £200 ;)

Identical to the factory original, including rear fittings(something that Bilstein have yet to grasp), and as said, only difference is the doubled up hose bracket on the front ones ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 January 2018, 11:18:55 »

Four Sachs shocks can be bought for less than £200 ;)

Identical to the factory original, including rear fittings(something that Bilstein have yet to grasp), and as said, only difference is the doubled up hose bracket on the front ones ;)
I started having problems with GM shocks not lasting beyond about 40k, which put me off them.

Of course, I might have just been unlucky.
Grumpy old man

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 January 2018, 11:44:18 »

6) Engine : Would like to rebuild my old engine, but need a replacement crank so that can wait till summer. In the mean time, need to fix the misfire. Have got oil in the drivers side plug wells, so...
Cheers
Malcolm
Contrary to popular belief, oil in the plug wells doesn't cause misfires, but water will (or dis pack / leads / other things)  ::)
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 January 2018, 14:52:44 »

6) Engine : Would like to rebuild my old engine, but need a replacement crank so that can wait till summer. In the mean time, need to fix the misfire. Have got oil in the drivers side plug wells, so...
Cheers
Malcolm
Contrary to popular belief, oil in the plug wells doesn't cause misfires, but water will (or dis pack / leads / other things)  ::)
It can because it can insulate the CP from plug.

Plus it eats the rubber boots, which then cause them to fail.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 January 2018, 20:18:44 »

You'll change your mind about that when you see an engine fire caused by oil in plug wells

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 06 January 2018, 23:18:56 »

Poly bushes - Powerflex, availabel from just about anywhere. Use GM rear bushes (if its a GM wishbone). Use genuine coppaslip on the polys, as the stuff powerflex supply is inadeqaute and washes away (like cheap copper grease). I'd only change balljoints if old ones are shot.

Front ARB, if the old bushes aren't shot, keep them. Polys seem to squeak like crazy, irrespective of greasing.

Springs - Sach if wantings std. If you want lowered, probably eibach are only choice now. Rear of car does not lower too well.

ARB Droplinks - Meyle HD seem to last well IME, available from multiple places, such as AGP etc

Keep us updated with pictures of progress :y

Thanks. Hoping to do the front end strip down Sat AM before the mighty YTFC thrash Bradford in the FA Cup.

Springs - Sach if wantings std. If you want lowered, probably eibach are only choice now. Rear of car does not lower too well.

I want everything as near to standard as possible. Will go for Vx springs if I can get them and the price isn't too silly, but ATM I can't make head nor tail of EPC - I think it may be  P/n VX90509080 or VX90541754 (haven't got my chassis number handy). If Vx are NLS or too pricey I was looking at some Bilstein B3's from the same place as the Shox though they're about £55 each.
Yeovil Ladies didn’t fare too well against the Liverpool lasses.......8-0  :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07 January 2018, 01:08:26 »

Yeovil Ladies didn’t fare too well against the Liverpool lasses.......8-0  :)

I expect the Yeovil girls were told that if they won the match they'd find their bus on bricks after!  ::)  :P

Calm down, calm down!  :D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.