Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to replace prefacelift Aircon condenser  (Read 8443 times)

RolandL

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • M/facelift 2.5 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
How to replace prefacelift Aircon condenser
« on: 12 August 2007, 22:03:48 »

How to change the V6, aircon condenser.

Tools/items needed.

Decent socket set
Torx bits both male and female.
Coolant
Your favourite clip compressing tool for all the pipes.
OEM condenser with dryer and next day delivery (part number 16-6554) is around £139 (see Aircon link in parts wanted section of forum, top).

And patience  :)

Remove plastic cover from above radiator, (Two outer ones have twist clips, middle one requires Torx bit) as per first picture.

What you are now looking at are the radiator and the condenser, the condenser sits behind the radiator.

Remove the set of trumpets; it is held in place by two nuts, one just below the air box and the other near the front middle. Disconnect all the sensor clips, air box and big pipes that go into plenum. Carefully remove the assembly, gentle pressure will release the pin that sits in the grommet at the bottom left of unit.

I removed the trumpets so I could get a better view of the radiator and all its connections.

You now need to disconnect all the radiator pipes and the sensor clips. On the left of the radiator as you look at it you will see two metal banjo unions, follow these down to two rubber pipes, these contain automatic transmission fluid (atf cooler in rad). Disconnect these at the rubber pipes and plug them with suitable bolts, hardly any fluid came out when I did it. Don’t forget to disconnect the secondary air pump pipe, it’s the one that connects to that round black thing that sits on the radiator (left connection) on the right of the radiator are the sensor clips, disconnect these. There is one that is difficult to get to; I removed it as the radiator was lifted out. Finally remove the two screws that hold the condenser to the radiator, and the clips that hold the radiator in position (as per pic), lift out radiator.

Banjo union

Removal of radiator clips

Now you have complete access to the old condenser (see below).

On the right of the condenser is the connection to the aircon system, remove using female Torx bit, retrieve seals if re-usable, if not replace.  Two fans sit behind the condenser, the dryer sits behind the right-hand side one. The fans interlock in the middle, each is held in by a plastic peg pushed into a grommet. Gently push the fans forward to release them.  This will now give you room to manoeuvre the dryer past the fan and get the whole assembly out of the car.

Re-fitting, as Haynes will tell you is the reverse of removal. All you need to do then is get it re-gassed which will cost between £40-£60.

It took me 1hr and 40mins from start to finish. I was surprised how straight forward it all was, everything came out as it should and I had no bits left over at the end.

Once everything is back together, give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done   :y  :y  :y
« Last Edit: 13 August 2007, 12:31:42 by TheBoy »
The faster you go the bigger the grin.  Trade card user.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.