Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hotspots  (Read 2490 times)

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
hotspots
« on: 02 August 2015, 16:21:17 »

Taking the kids away soon and where we are going doesnt have good wifi. I was thinking can I use my phone to set it as a wifi hotspot. My phone is a samsung galaxy i9000. If I can how do I do it.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: hotspots
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2015, 16:38:48 »

Assuming its Android then its something like - set WiFi off, mobile data on (making sure phone is set to 3/4g), settings, mobile data and networks, mobile hotspot.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2015, 23:45:44 »

Download an App called "Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot"

SETTING: Settings->More..->Tethering & portable hotspot->Set up Wi-Fi hotspot

Be aware that battery will die double quick time, so keep it plugged in.

Be aware that if the kids are using a laptop, or anything other than a phone, Data Usage will be bloody massive and will eat into your data allowance very quickly.
« Last Edit: 02 August 2015, 23:47:26 by Broomies Mate »
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2015, 06:12:41 »

Taking the kids away soon and where we are going doesnt have good wifi. I was thinking can I use my phone to set it as a wifi hotspot. My phone is a samsung galaxy i9000. If I can how do I do it.
Might be novel, but what about leaving tablets, laptops at home and having a family holiday, playing games, sandcastles and heaven forbid talking to each other :)
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2015, 09:16:50 »

If going abroad, forget it.  If they want to gaytube, stream music/film, facetime etc, forget it.

It may take some convincing, but they will survive without arsebook and snapchat for a couple of weeks, honest ;)

(says the bloke typing away on his netbook, laying on the sofa under an AC unit, as its too bloody hot outside  :-[)
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2015, 10:37:23 »

Is that the Galaxy S2? If it is then I have used mine for wifi tethering without having to install any apps.
It does depend on your telco, wifi tethering might be specificly excluded in which case the app might get round the restriction.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2015, 11:02:51 »

If going abroad, forget it.  If they want to gaytube, stream music/film, facetime etc, forget it.

It may take some convincing, but they will survive without arsebook and snapchat for a couple of weeks, honest ;)

(says the bloke typing away on his netbook, laying on the sofa under an AC unit, as its too bloody hot outside  :-[)
Taking away social media from a youff, especially a female is like the end of the world, its funny to watch,and by day 3 they normally calm down, saying things like 'yea but' and 'watever' to them doesn't help, makes my day. O and don't forget 'i hate you' :D
Hoof'land storeman.

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2015, 16:28:33 »

Get one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E5331-Unlocked-Three-Wireless/dp/B008926JVK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435275262&sr=8-3&keywords=huawei+e5330
and one of these from the Three shop
http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=569
Job Jobbed

Been using for the last 2 years and posting this via it now from SOFrance

HTH

keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2015, 17:00:43 »

All is good :y  turns out hotel has its own free wifi. Only issue is its raining, bloody english summers :(

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2015, 18:07:51 »

Taking away social media from a youff, especially a female is like the end of the world, its funny to watch,and by day 3 they normally calm down, saying things like 'yea but' and 'watever' to them doesn't help, makes my day. O and don't forget 'i hate you' :D

I was round my Mate's the other day and his pre-teenage daughter had a strop about something or other trivial, ran upstairs and slammed her bedroom door!  ::)

My mate followed her up with a screwdriver, took the door off and told her he'd put it back when she learnt how to close doors sensibly!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2015, 18:14:02 »

I was round my Mate's the other day and his pre-teenage daughter had a strop about something or other trivial, ran upstairs and slammed her bedroom door!  ::)

My mate followed her up with a screwdriver, took the door off and told her he'd put it back when she learnt how to close doors sensibly!  ;D

Like this one, defo going to use this when the situation eventually arises
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.