Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What do we know about Auto Vectras?  (Read 2460 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
What do we know about Auto Vectras?
« on: 03 February 2020, 22:53:03 »

A friend of mine has a knee problem that's starting to impinge on his ability to comfortably drive 3 pedal motor. He is looking for a cost effective car with decent comfort (he's no 5stone stripling).

Given where my interest lies I suggested the Vectra/signum/Saab 9-5. I know the Saab turbo petrols pretty well but know comparatively little about the 1.9cdti (other than short cam belt intervals), the 2.2 petrol (expensive fragile and cr@ppy fuel pump), or the 1.8 (couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding).

Also, how durable are the gearboxes, assuming the fluid gets changed?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: What do we know about Auto Vectras?
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2020, 04:41:09 »

The 1.9 150/6 speed auto is a God awful combination, speaking from three Months/20k experience in a replacement taxi when my Omega was first written off. . Don't think the 1.8 petrol is available as an auto.

All that said, the 2.8 Elite is auto only in Vectra C, Signum and Insignia... Which depends entirely on budget, but the Insignia adds 4x4 to the mix, and the Elite is a much nicer placer than any Vectrum ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2020, 07:32:31 »

A friend of mine has a knee problem that's starting to impinge on his ability to comfortably drive 3 pedal motor. He is looking for a cost effective car with decent comfort (he's no 5stone stripling).

Given where my interest lies I suggested the Vectra/signum/Saab 9-5. I know the Saab turbo petrols pretty well but know comparatively little about the 1.9cdti (other than short cam belt intervals), the 2.2 petrol (expensive fragile and cr@ppy fuel pump), or the 1.8 (couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding).

Also, how durable are the gearboxes, assuming the fluid gets changed?

Who told you that, 100k miles on the belt kits

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2020, 08:54:58 »

I should clarify, from what I'd read, water pumps on these can seize, leading to shredded timing belt and all the engine damage that follows. So my understanding was you shuldn't let them go that far/long between changes.

During my time on UKSaabs I remember at least two cars having this problem. Considering the majority of forum users over there (as here) favour petrol over diesel, I would be concerned running the 1.9 up to 100k on the same belt kit &pump.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2020, 08:56:58 »

The 1.9 150/6 speed auto is a God awful combination, speaking from three Months/20k experience in a replacement taxi when my Omega was first written off. . Don't think the 1.8 petrol is available as an auto.

All that said, the 2.8 Elite is auto only in Vectra C, Signum and Insignia... Which depends entirely on budget, but the Insignia adds 4x4 to the mix, and the Elite is a much nicer placer than any Vectrum ;)

What did you find so disagreeable about it? Just slow, or something else? I'm not sure a 2.8's mpg & tax fulfill his definition of cost effective, but I will make the suggestion.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2020, 09:11:51 »

Are all these suggested autos slushbox autos? I ask, as a mate of mine had an Easytronic Vauxhall, that I think was a Vectra (it was a while back & I easily forget ....  ???) that he tried using as a taxi and had nothing but problems with it.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2020, 09:53:17 »

Yes, I've suggested against Powershift/DSG type autos as he will be buying at the lower end of the market where (potentially very costly) problems can manifest due to poor maintenance and. High mileage.  :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2020, 10:02:13 »

Are all these suggested autos slushbox autos? I ask, as a mate of mine had an Easytronic Vauxhall, that I think was a Vectra (it was a while back & I easily forget ....  ???) that he tried using as a taxi and had nothing but problems with it.

EasyChronic,there you go,fixed ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2020, 10:27:21 »

I should clarify, from what I'd read, water pumps on these can seize, leading to shredded timing belt and all the engine damage that follows. So my understanding was you shuldn't let them go that far/long between changes.

During my time on UKSaabs I remember at least two cars having this problem. Considering the majority of forum users over there (as here) favour petrol over diesel, I would be concerned running the 1.9 up to 100k on the same belt kit &pump.

Certainly not my experience, every pump removed at 100K miles has been fine and I always fitted a quality replacement.

There are probably many out there that have had a belt kit and no pump based on age now, it may be this factor that is more relevant?

When the belt goes the engine damage (on the one I saw) was minimal, the rockers have a shear point in them that snaps in an attempt to save the rest of the valve train. This had certainly worked on the example I am thinking about and was an easyish fix.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2020, 11:05:24 »

EasyChronic,there you go,fixed ???

:y
AIUI Vauxhall dropped it years ago & just do 'proper' autos now ... :-\

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2020, 11:11:39 »

Certainly not my experience, every pump removed at 100K miles has been fine and I always fitted a quality replacement.

There are probably many out there that have had a belt kit and no pump based on age now, it may be this factor that is more relevant?

When the belt goes the engine damage (on the one I saw) was minimal, the rockers have a shear point in them that snaps in an attempt to save the rest of the valve train. This had certainly worked on the example I am thinking about and was an easyish fix.
Vx reckon six years on my astra, they were less forthcoming about mileage. Mines six years old in June, but it will be going to an indie, as Vx want well in excess of £400.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2020, 11:26:35 »

That's reassuring to know, I've no doubt your experience is broader than mine.  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 February 2020, 12:00:28 »

I've got a 9-3, 2007,  2.0T,with the Asia autobox,  no problems with it,  I want to change the fluid, but it seems a faf about,, drain it measure, refill, drain it measure, refill, because you can't dump the lot in one go, again sealed for life.
Hoof'land storeman.

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2020, 12:25:23 »

I've got a 9-3, 2007,  2.0T,with the Asia autobox,  no problems with it,  I want to change the fluid, but it seems a faf about,, drain it measure, refill, drain it measure, refill, because you can't dump the lot in one go, again sealed for life.
https://youtu.be/aBySZB11ls8

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 04 February 2020, 12:37:38 »

https://youtu.be/aBySZB11ls8

;D ;D He's brilliant.. may watch more of his videos now. Could he have said "bullsh*t" one more time?  ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.