Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A year with the big black pussy  (Read 7188 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: A year with the big black pussy
« Reply #30 on: 24 May 2018, 09:33:34 »

Will be interesting to see what car options I get with my new role
A big fat hefty tax bill ;D

Nope, it's a low value lease scheme so paid for after tax  :y

So not a BIK? Always fancied a company car, not that I would ever get one via Sky.

Nope, you get extra cash in lieu and then pay for a heavily discounted lease scheme post tax.

How does that differ from car allowance?  :-\ Is the lease scheme company sponsored, meaning you have to go via them? (bit like old days)

As I understand current most common setup, is that a job advertises role with "£5k car allowance" on top of a salary. So ~£416/m, no doubt in 40% bracket, so take ~£166 off that. Leaving you £250/m for a car....

The BIK rates then hit you in tax, meaning if you take car you get hit in national insurance/PAYE tax hit. I was looking at Auto Express BIK calculator other day, suggested things like a Tesla could be had for £300/m  :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 May 2018, 09:34:57 »

Gaydon and Coventry  :y

Ah, at the R&D end of the chain, then, I assume :) :y

Yep, connected car and infotainment hardware  :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 May 2018, 09:46:41 »

As I understand current most common setup, is that a job advertises role with "£5k car allowance" on top of a salary. So ~£416/m, no doubt in 40% bracket, so take ~£166 off that. Leaving you £250/m for a car....

That is correct, then you use that £250pcm to lease a car from JLR "entirely of your own accord" and nothing to do with a company car, its basically a special lease deal that's only open to (some) employees. Normally doing this would incur a BIK as the lease would be subsidised, but JLR (by arguing the cars can still be sold at a profit) has circumvented this BIK charge.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 May 2018, 09:48:13 »

How does that differ from car allowance?  :-\ Is the lease scheme company sponsored, meaning you have to go via them? (bit like old days)

The BIK rates then hit you in tax, meaning if you take car you get hit in national insurance/PAYE tax hit. I was looking at Auto Express BIK calculator other day, suggested things like a Tesla could be had for £300/m  :-\

BIK only applies if its a perk of the job

This works by giving you the extra cash which, as you say, you pay NI and tax on.

You then have an option to join the lease car scheme which is heavily discounted (they base the monthly cost on the depreciation based on the price of the car after your company discount and the second hand value plus running costs), you pay for this post tax and NI the same way you would for any lease scheme from a third party.

aaronjb

« Reply #34 on: 24 May 2018, 09:55:17 »

Yep, connected car and infotainment hardware  :y

Nice! So you'll be who we get to blame when the Chinese hackers pwn JLR kit? ;) ;D (Ref the recent BMW release)

Sounds like a fun gig, though, so enjoy!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 May 2018, 10:58:41 »

That is correct, then you use that £250pcm to lease a car from JLR "entirely of your own accord" and nothing to do with a company car, its basically a special lease deal that's only open to (some) employees. Normally doing this would incur a BIK as the lease would be subsidised, but JLR (by arguing the cars can still be sold at a profit) has circumvented this BIK charge.

BIK only applies if its a perk of the job

This works by giving you the extra cash which, as you say, you pay NI and tax on.

You then have an option to join the lease car scheme which is heavily discounted (they base the monthly cost on the depreciation based on the price of the car after your company discount and the second hand value plus running costs), you pay for this post tax and NI the same way you would for any lease scheme from a third party.

Interesting, thanks  :y

Is a deposit an issue, or is the monthly cost worked out with zero deposit? Guess not if it's lease car via the company discount.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 May 2018, 13:12:42 »

Well, well over 13 months now.

It remains a comfortable mile cruncher, with a decent turn of speed.

I'd say on average, I get low 30s mpg. I've had the occasional high 30s from a tank, and the occasional high 20s as well.

Failures have included:
Both front CDL motors
Front lower front wishbone arm bushes, replaced with polys
A single bonnet strut
A touchscreen display (might have been my fault ;D)
A failed NSR wheel bearing...   ...twice
A failed headlight washer extender thing (probably the shit ECP screenwash that froze)

In addition, its had:
2 oil changes
Air filter change
Pollen filter change
2 front tyres
2 headlight bulbs
New number plate fixing tape ;D

I really love the seat coolers, the heated wheel, the rear blind, the sunroof, the memory seats both sides, the crappy massager (for my poor back), adaptive headlights and cornering leds, the phone and ipod integration, and the fact the DAB holds onto a signal bloody well. It seems I'm lucky in that the Jag Voice works perfectly for me in default (untrained) mode, because that is a joy to use.

The annoyances include the fact the interior mirror isn't on memory, the clock wont set itself, the touchscreen is shite. Its also a bit long/wide for city centre stuff, particularly city centre carparks.

Running costs most definitely higher than an LPG'd Omega, probably on par with a non LPG'd V6

Surely the whole point of derv is that you return 70+ MPG like that Tunnie fella. :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 May 2018, 13:59:25 »

I'd say on average, I get low 30s mpg. I've had the occasional high 30s from a tank, and the occasional high 20s as well.

Failures have included:
Both front CDL motors
A single bonnet strut
A failed headlight washer extender thing (probably the shit ECP screenwash that froze)

In addition, its had:
2 oil changes
Air filter change
Pollen filter change
2 front tyres
2 headlight bulbs

I really love the seat coolers, the heated wheel, the rear blind, the sunroof, the memory seats both sides, the crappy massager (for my poor back), adaptive headlights and cornering leds, the phone and ipod integration, and the fact the DAB holds onto a signal bloody well. It seems I'm lucky in that the Jag Voice works perfectly for me in default (untrained) mode, because that is a joy to use.

The annoyances include the fact the interior mirror isn't on memory, the clock wont set itself, the touchscreen is shite. Its also a bit long/wide for city centre stuff, particularly city centre carparks.

Running costs most definitely higher than an LPG'd Omega, probably on par with a non LPG'd V6

Surely the whole point of derv is that you return 70+ MPG like that Tunnie fella. :)

One of the big positives from my old VW, it was very frugal. The older Jag diesels do appear way off book figures in reality, the later ones like Fuse19's though appear a lot better.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 May 2018, 14:03:45 »

Failures have included:
Both front CDL motors
A single bonnet strut

In addition, its had:
2 oil changes
Air filter change
Pollen filter change
2 front tyres
2 headlight bulbs

One of the big positives from my old VW, it was very frugal. The older Jag diesels do appear way off book figures in reality, the later ones like Fuse19's though appear a lot better.

Ah....so nothing to do with TB's brick-footed driving style then?... ::) ::) ::) ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 May 2018, 14:06:56 »

I don't think I'd get better than 35mpg or so average out of XF-S (3.0d) if I owned one.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24 May 2018, 14:14:38 »

Good looking car that CC! Be curious to know what sort of mpg and performance you get in DSG guise.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 24 May 2018, 14:28:00 »

Good looking car that CC! Be curious to know what sort of mpg and performance you get in DSG guise.

It was good looking beast, loved rear light cluster and many things about it. Just wished it was RWD, bit softer in ride and less tyre noise. Everything else it was excellent, the headlights were hugely impressive compared to others I've driven.

At the time DSG reliability put me off.  :(

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 24 May 2018, 14:45:41 »

Its odd, opinion seems to divide equally between those who believe its a bag of sh!te and those who believe the boxes are bomb proof. For my part I like them when pressing on, motorway cruising or out of town. In town they aren't as smooth as a proper slusher.

As for reliability, 16,000 miles isn't really much of a basis to form an opinion. Bust so far we've had no issues.

Really quite tempted by the octavia vrs with DSG...

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 24 May 2018, 15:35:44 »

This has got me thinking, that when I have a short spell where my brain actually functions, I should work out my overage MPG / cost per mile, across both cars.
Or one of you clever folks can do the math if you like.  ;D
Omega - 24mpg at 125 ? p per litre and 4k miles per year.
190 - 40mpg at an average of 20p per litre, and 9k miles per year.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 24 May 2018, 16:15:09 »

Its odd, opinion seems to divide equally between those who believe its a bag of sh!te and those who believe the boxes are bomb proof. For my part I like them when pressing on, motorway cruising or out of town. In town they aren't as smooth as a proper slusher.

As for reliability, 16,000 miles isn't really much of a basis to form an opinion. Bust so far we've had no issues.

Really quite tempted by the octavia vrs with DSG...

I'm quite surprised to find that some German makers have turned back to to an old fashioned torque converter like the 8 speed ZF auto I have in my car.

The changes seem smooth and very quick.
[/highlight]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.