Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Has Mr DTM been driving trains again?  (Read 3068 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Has Mr DTM been driving trains again?
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2017, 13:05:23 »

Ah, some random solid fuel devices where the energy creating material is moved by hand, very old fashioned and not my bag  ;D :y :D

But that will be an issue for them given they only have two operational steam locos (which will be off limits until an inspection/assessment is complete and RAIB have allowed them to return to service) during the peak holiday season.

Shame as its a nice line

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Onanists always think outside the box.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2017, 14:51:22 »

It was more the fact that they had replaced services with diesels awaiting the steamers to get cleared to go back in to service ::)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2017, 14:10:47 »

Ah, some random solid fuel devices where the energy creating material is moved by hand, very old fashioned and not my bag  ;D :y :D

Sill, there can't be that many vehicles where you can use the fuel pump to cook your breakfast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr_nirCbcmE

:D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2017, 18:21:53 »

Sill, there can't be that many vehicles where you can use the fuel pump to cook your breakfast!

Apparently Tony Terbs has a car you can do that with.  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2017, 08:47:58 »

I did a bit of firing many years ago.

This stopped pretty abruptly when it soon became clear the average steam crew is a bit 'what ever' in their approach to timetables, customers and completing everything they need to.

Oh and the moment when the handle of the firing shovel came off, resulting in the metal and shaft flying into the rear of the fire box and me then having to hand bawl coal into an 8F for an hour!......this was followed by the comment from the crew, oh you don't want that shovel its got a dodgy handle, been like that for years (arseholes!)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 July 2017, 09:49:05 »

This stopped pretty abruptly when it soon became clear the average steam crew is a bit 'what ever' in their approach to timetables, customers and completing everything they need to.

Oh and the moment when the handle of the firing shovel came off, resulting in the metal and shaft flying into the rear of the fire box and me then having to hand bawl coal into an 8F for an hour!......this was followed by the comment from the crew, oh you don't want that shovel its got a dodgy handle, been like that for years (arseholes!)

Yes, nothing I've seen on the Watercress line has made me want that job, especially in the weather we've had recently. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 July 2017, 13:04:54 »

Yes, nothing I've seen on the Watercress line has made me want that job, especially in the weather we've had recently. ;D

I have seen all sorts

Black 5 with drain cock issues, rather than take it off they bunged a 9F on the back of the train and pushed, buffers of the rear coach nearly overrode the next carriage and not surprisingly, the cylinders on the black 5 were damaged. (Llangollen)

On ours they ran out of coal because they forgot to check prior to leaving, que stopping every mile to pick up any random bit of wood, sleeper, fence, road kill they could find to lob in the fire box.

Another where they were heading up the bank at Llangollen and through the tunnel and ran out of steam so had to roll back, all because they failed to get the boiler full and simmering well before setting off so lobbed water in half way......which cooled the boiler.....and they also had a small vac leak on the coaches (only did a basic brake test) and could not overcome it due to lack of steam!

Dropping the fire because the injector was being a bit temperamental.....but doing so as the first action long before there was a real danger and then fixing the fault within 5 minutes.

Always being late onto the train, preferring to sit on shed drinking tea rather than coupling up and getting heat into the coaches.

Just piss operating in reality, heritage railways seem to attract those who have failed in their main job!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 July 2017, 14:39:06 »

Just went for a walk at lunch time. Crossed the foot bridge as a train was in the station to hear the fireman get a bollocking for not getting coal into the corner of the firebox. ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 July 2017, 14:46:39 »

Just went for a walk at lunch time. Crossed the foot bridge as a train was in the station to hear the fireman get a bollocking for not getting coal into the corner of the firebox. ;D

I had that once also on a West Country Class, my reply of 'here's the f-ing shovel, you have a go at it and I will show you how to stop the loco with all coaches on the platform' was not met overly well

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2017, 18:52:17 »

heritage railways seem to attract those who have failed in their main job!
I wondered why you volunteered at you local heritage railway ;D
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 July 2017, 10:14:39 »

Indeed, it can be very hot in the summer on a footplate, especially when it is enclosed such as with the Bullied Pacifics and an 9F.  They are lovely and warm in the winter, but then on the footplate of a open cab 'N' or 'U' class it was not funny then during that season.  Especially when running tender first! :o :o ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.