Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluetooth Hands Free Kits  (Read 7392 times)

SMS01

• Altrincham
  • Black Omega 3.0 manual estate 'P' reg
    • View Profile
Bluetooth Hands Free Kits
« on: 15 July 2006, 02:22:41 »

Before I start, I have no connection with the manufacturer which I will mention in this.

I have been thinking about a handsfree car kit for ages with the Omega. I assisted someone else who is not on these forums install a Parrot CK3100 kit to his 51plate MV6 estate. I was so impressed (no not a remington reminder) that I bought and fitted one myself.

Dead easy to use, a bit fiddly to install, but for under £90 on the door, who cares.

Wires into the back of the stereo - although only has 2 sockets, so minor butchery to the standard plug is required to separate the power and speaker lines from the display plug at the top. Gubbins etc fitted below the passenger airbag but above the glovebox.

Took a couple of hours to fit but now incoming calls sound via the stereo (muting the stereo in the process), microphone to fit where you want (fitted in mine under the dashboard hood between the centre vents and the MID/TID display).

Works a treat. Can post pics fitted if anyone wants, can show install bits if I have to but this will mean some dismantling to show wiring routing etc...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Bluetooth Hands Free Kits
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2006, 11:21:47 »

Many omegas are 'prewired' for phone kits - there is a special plug taped up behind glovebox which connects to stereo. A cheap Nokia to this plug adapter is around £5 - £6, and makes it so easy. Oddly, mine had no mic fitted, so I had to fit one. Also, the cellular rood aerial is in drivers kick panel - a fair way from the prewired plug  :-?
Grumpy old man

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2006, 18:37:16 »

Many omegas are 'prewired' for phone kits - there is a special plug taped up behind glovebox which connects to stereo. A cheap Nokia to this plug adapter is around £5 - £6, and makes it so easy. Oddly, mine had no mic fitted, so I had to fit one. Also, the cellular rood aerial is in drivers kick panel - a fair way from the prewired plug  :-?

Pretty sure you need to keep the OE stereo to use this feature though, which I couldn't live with as the sound quality is terrible. I fitted a Parrot unit to mine and it works fine. The sound through the speakers isn't great though, I think the Nokia CK-7w bluetooth kit which I have in my BMW is a little better quality, even though it has its own speaker which is pretty tiny. The electronics in the Parrot appear to be pretty cheap, the synthesised voice when browsing the menus is on a par with that produced by a ZX spectrum  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2006, 21:58:31 »

i use a nokia 7w kit in my MV6 (also fitted cradle as well), with it wired to back of headunit. Works as well as any other carkit I've used, whether in cradle or bluetooth :)

Got same kit in the Rover, equally good...
Grumpy old man

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2006, 19:48:01 »

i think mine may have the pre wiring, I have a microphone up at the top of the A pillar and what looks like some sort aerial thing in the rear passenger window (estate window). I need to get the handsfree sorted at some point do any of these bits sound like the pre installed stuff?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2006, 20:46:26 »

Salty, sounds aftermarket, not necessarily prewired...
Grumpy old man

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2006, 07:38:13 »

Maybe so I will have to further investigate.  :-?

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2006, 08:46:51 »

I have a Nokia 616 Bluetooth Hands Free Kit fitted to my Signum and its fantastic, I don't even have to take my phone out of my pocket, as soon as I start the car the bluetooth kicks in and transfers to the car kit. and I'm total hands free :)
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2006, 10:36:20 »

I use Nokia CARK7W kit in mine, wired up through stereo (so no extra speakers). Works great bluetooth, though I also bought cradle for £15, so I tend to keep it cradle (and hence wired) connected as this also charges phone as well.  I found bluetooth used to drain the phone battery quite quickly...
Grumpy old man

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2006, 11:49:46 »

Yes, I found that when on bluetooth in the car the charge in the battery expire's very quickly
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 August 2006, 12:34:21 »

I suppose in effect you are running another radio transmitter on your phone when you have the bluetooth powered up

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 August 2006, 15:42:27 »

I have a Nokia 616 Bluetooth Hands Free Kit fitted to my Signum and its fantastic, I don't even have to take my phone out of my pocket, as soon as I start the car the bluetooth kicks in and transfers to the car kit. and I'm total hands free :)
Kev doesn't think it's fantastic.

Since Jim acquired said car kit, he's never off the phone to me.  ;D
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2006, 15:58:35 »

My car was supplied from the factory with a phone installed but was removed before I got it. The mic is still in place in the light unit so does that mean I only need to hook up a Nokia kit to the plug to be able to use the system? The only other option I have seen is the autoleads looms which you still need a phone kit for.

I picked up my wifes new Focus last night and it comes with a voice activated stereo and bluetooth phone system installed which allows you to tell the unit the number you want to dial, change radio stations and CD tracks just by talking to the unit. Makes the Omega look like an antique :(.

Steve

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 August 2006, 16:04:19 »

The Omega is an older system, and no bluetooth. If you have CCRT700 stereo, the phone is integrated to it, everything else will require a kit.
Grumpy old man

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 August 2006, 17:08:38 »

My car was supplied from the factory with a phone installed but was removed before I got it. The mic is still in place in the light unit so does that mean I only need to hook up a Nokia kit to the plug to be able to use the system? The only other option I have seen is the autoleads looms which you still need a phone kit for.

I picked up my wifes new Focus last night and it comes with a voice activated stereo and bluetooth phone system installed which allows you to tell the unit the number you want to dial, change radio stations and CD tracks just by talking to the unit. Makes the Omega look like an antique :(.

Steve
If it was factory installed you should be able to hook up the Nokia kit without any problems.

Also, the Focus may well allow you to talk to the stereo and have Bluetooth capability, but i know which car i'd rather be sitting in on a long journey, and it's not the Ford Focus my friend.  ;)
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 August 2006, 17:26:25 »

Yeah, had to tolerate a Focus for 2 years (she had a company lease car). Useless piece of junk - flat as break (despite being 1.6), handling was appalling, boot was tiny.
Grumpy old man

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 August 2006, 19:53:46 »

Yeah, had to tolerate a Focus for 2 years (she had a company lease car). Useless piece of junk - flat as break (despite being 1.6), handling was appalling, boot was tiny.
And it was a Ford.  ;D

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 August 2006, 21:16:08 »

Iwent from a 3100:-

To a colour 3200:-

Its a very good kit, problem with the 3100 was as it was an early version it wasnt flash upgradeable so the phone book option didnt work, all works fine with the 3200  :)

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 August 2006, 23:56:20 »

That's a nice avatar Phil.

Sometimes i like to feed the donkey.  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.