Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Climate control issues  (Read 946 times)

jafaremraf

• View Profile
Climate control issues
« on: 11 November 2014, 13:58:56 »

I drive an 03 plate Omega 2.2 CD estate...... I drive it, fill it with fuel, check the tyre pressure and fill the water bottle - that pretty much sums up my knowledge of cars :D. I usually ask hubby things, but he doesn't know so......I'm asking the experts....!

A few months ago I noticed the outside temperature shown on the display screen was plummeting and within a few minutes it read -40c before an E appeared.  It rectified itself the next time the engine started and was fine for a short while before going wrong again and it has been like this for weeks... It usually hovers a few degrees below zero.  The main problem as a result of this is that it gets very steamy in the car, not hot, but all the windows steam up and drops of water build up and run down the inside of the windows.  I need to have the blower on the front screen on full and still the top part of the screen remains misty.  It doesn't clear on long journeys either, just gets worse.  Having the windows open is the only thing that helps, but makes it cold and noisy in the car.  The heater still works and it is possible to control how much heat comes into the cabin, so I don't think the steaminess is because it's hot inside and cold out.  Not sure if there maybe a connection, but also the sunroof randomly opens and closes - not constantly, just now and again.

does anyone have any ideas what it might be, or what kind of place we could take it to..... Does this sound electrical or mechanical?  I asked a mechanic we know and he asked around, but he said no-one had come across it before.  I would rather avoid taking to a dealer because of the cost, but will if needs be.

Thanks

Jane

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Climate control issues
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2014, 15:08:51 »

Hopefully just a new external temp sensor needed. Clips on the front bumper and about £5-6 from memory. If not that it will likely be the loom that plugs into has got wet. But try the sensor first

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2014, 15:10:42 »

I drive an 03 plate Omega 2.2 CD estate...... I drive it, fill it with fuel, check the tyre pressure and fill the water bottle - that pretty much sums up my knowledge of cars :D. I usually ask hubby things, but he doesn't know so......I'm asking the experts....! ....

That's two things more than my wife does!  ::) ::) :y

but she does the washing, ironing ...........  ::)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2014, 16:48:22 »

Is the scuttle drain blocked and filling with rain water?

Ron.

jafaremraf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2014, 17:34:06 »

Is the scuttle drain blocked and filling with rain water?

Ron.

Quite possibly!  Our last Omega had a problem with a leak causing damp rear carpet on the passenger side and that was traced to a blocked drain.  But I never thought that could have caused  this problem..... Well, yes maybe the humidity, but could that be why the temperature on the display screen has gone haywire?

Anyway, I shall certainly check this out first..... And external temp sensor if needed.

Thanks!  :)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2014, 17:43:14 »

If the temp drops below 5 degrees the aircon effectively stops, so the "drying" aspect of the climate will also stop, leading to the build up of humidity in the car. In theory at  below 5 degrees there is little moisture in the air anyway due to cold air not holding moisture. I suspect that a faulty temp indicator is causing the aircon to "think" its very cold and switch off, but as it is really warmer the air holds all the moisture which is giving you the problem.

My bet is fix the temp indicator the problem will be solved :)  and for a few quid and ten miuntes work .. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 November 2014, 19:20:58 »

Yeah, as the guys have said, treat yourself to a new sensor :y
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.