Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any good data SIM deals?  (Read 4437 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Any good data SIM deals?
« on: 27 December 2018, 16:53:17 »

We shall be coming to the UK in January. I am looking for a good data SIM for my Smart phone not on contract for a month, maybe two months or longer if can data roam in Europe

Two things . Tethering ( my term for being able to surf the net via a laptop and ipad) would be essential. Second that might be desirable would be data roaming ( with fair usage policy say up to 75% in Europe) would be a plus. We could continue using it back home or on our 2019 tours.
Cost of calls and texts not important.

I think I saw a tv ad for 30 gb for  £16 a month I think with 200 or more free texts. Didnt get the company name.

Any people out there up on what is available please?

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

Re: Any good data SIM deals?
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2018, 16:57:56 »

We shall be coming to the UK in January. I am looking for a good data SIM for my Smart phone not on contract for a month, maybe two months or longer if can data roam in Europe

Two things . Tethering ( my term for being able to surf the net via a laptop and ipad) would be essential. Second that might be desirable would be data roaming ( with fair usage policy say up to 75% in Europe) would be a plus. We could continue using it back home or on our 2019 tours.
Cost of calls and texts not important.

I think I saw a tv ad for 30 gb for  £16 a month I think with 200 or more free texts. Didnt get the company name.

Any people out there up on what is available please?
Virgin

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2018, 18:15:59 »

Mm 12 month contract!  Makes 20 gb satellite for £40 look expensive. Just need to see if a large % can roam ( permanently!) and if you can tether.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2018, 18:29:26 »

Look at any of the SIM only deals on a rolling 1 month contract.  Or 3 do a 30Gb (No time limit) for something like £15 data only sim (but not sure if that includes their roam like home).

I personally use EE, and do tether when abroad. But I don't use it for streaming when tethered, so only have 4 or 5Gb data every 30days.  But then it only costs me £7.50 ;).

Obviously, this side of March, any euro SIM allows full roaming, so might be better offers in different countries.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2018, 18:31:35 »

Downside of 3 is a shockingly useless coverage in the UK.  My only experience of 3 abroad is in the USA, and coverage seemed poor there, but I think that's just America, as their roaming partners were AT&T and Verizon.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2018, 18:37:36 »

Nonsense.  ::)

I can get a signal anywhere in Brackers except the Tiffins... Which was exactly the same with Eeek
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 December 2018, 19:32:11 »

I can get a signal anywhere in Brackers except the Tiffins... Which was exactly the same with Eeek
Difference being, I can get a usable signal just about anywhere outside in the UK.  Which I know for a fact I can't with my PAYG 3 SIM (in the same phone). 3 is truly awful for coverage (but its cheap, and does have uses, particularly for its roaming).  Given the frequencies used for voice, neither provide great coverage in large buildings.

And OFCOM clearly agree in their latest results back to the industry.  Evil Everywhere have best overall coverage on 3G/4G (and have to, due to licencing commitments around ESN), Voda come 2nd.  I'd need to log back in to see who got 3rd place overall.

Speed is probably unimportant, as long as its fast enough, but I've yet to see better than 30Mbps on 3, whereas on Evil Everywhere, I rarely see below 30Mbps, and often get 70Mbps in Brakkers, and have seen as high as over 140Mbps...
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 December 2018, 22:19:41 »

Ive got an EE Double Speed Data Sim, 32GB which I get 50% Discount on, works out about £15 a month, your welcome to use that if you want to foot the Bill on a month to month basis Varche, or if you wanted to take it on I could probably Transfer it over to you as a Family and Friends Transfer, just need to check that the Discount will go over with it.

Its a Data Sim, so no Mins induced, does have 100 Texts per month included though, and it has an Roaming Allowance included, cant remember exactly what now, Tethering not a Problem, so can be used in a Phone (Hot Spot), Tablet, MiFi Device or Mobile Broadband Device (which is what it was designed for, hence why its one of those Double Speed jobbies)

Its out of Contract now, so its effectively a 30 Day Contract Sim, so as per norm, 30 days notice to Terminate, one of my Sons is currently using it at the moment until His Broadband gets connected which I think is in the first Week into January. 
« Last Edit: 27 December 2018, 22:28:27 by zirk »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 December 2018, 23:21:46 »

The only real person who has issues with 3 is TuBy ;)

It’s generally more reliable than my work phone on O2
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2018, 08:57:59 »

Me and the rest of the country, hence OFCOM put it 3rd or last (cant remember the order of 3 and O2).  Remember, that's over the country, locally each may vary. For example, Voda doesn't work up my end of town, or rurally around here, but OFCOM mark it 2nd.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2018, 09:01:54 »

Although this is part of the reason I also have O2 and 3 SIMs on top of my normal EE one (and my old work SIM was Voda, but recently got moved to an EE MVNO), so I stand a chance of a signal when I go away.

Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2018, 09:04:19 »

He should just be grateful CenturyLink don't service the UK, or he'd no doubt have service from them (he does know how to pick suppliers) ;) https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2018/12/nationwide-internet-outage-affects-centurylink.html

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2018, 17:12:41 »

Ive got an EE Double Speed Data Sim, 32GB which I get 50% Discount on, works out about £15 a month, your welcome to use that if you want to foot the Bill on a month to month basis Varche, or if you wanted to take it on I could probably Transfer it over to you as a Family and Friends Transfer, just need to check that the Discount will go over with it.

Its a Data Sim, so no Mins induced, does have 100 Texts per month included though, and it has an Roaming Allowance included, cant remember exactly what now, Tethering not a Problem, so can be used in a Phone (Hot Spot), Tablet, MiFi Device or Mobile Broadband Device (which is what it was designed for, hence why its one of those Double Speed jobbies)

Its out of Contract now, so its effectively a 30 Day Contract Sim, so as per norm, 30 days notice to Terminate, one of my Sons is currently using it at the moment until His Broadband gets connected which I think is in the first Week into January.

That is a great offer, thanks.  Could you check the roaming part please?. If a good percentage is available to roam I would have it for six months . 

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 December 2018, 17:55:05 »

Downside of 3 is a shockingly useless coverage in the UK.  My only experience of 3 abroad is in the USA, and coverage seemed poor there, but I think that's just America, as their roaming partners were AT&T and Verizon.

we could not get 3 to work in either france or spain, on the trip over there this year,went to the shop today to find out why, fec king useless,got to ring customer service oh joy

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 December 2018, 19:16:43 »

No problems with 3 in GC last three years  :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.