Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dover , channel crossing hold ups.  (Read 9909 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Dover , channel crossing hold ups.
« Reply #15 on: 25 July 2016, 14:27:33 »

"We" decided we wanted this, so its just a reminder of what to expect in the future.

In the short term, use other ports. Simples.
Nothing to do with 15 million people all going on holiday on the same day then... ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 July 2016, 14:32:14 »

My parents were booked on the 07:30 ferry and as I haven't heard from them, I assume they made it without too much trouble.

Although it's just as likely that Mum forgot to charge her phone ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 July 2016, 14:42:59 »

"We" decided we wanted this, so its just a reminder of what to expect in the future.

Nothing to do with 15 million people all going on holiday on the same day then... ::)
Unlikely. How many people, realistically, go to French France compared to elsewhere?  And out of those, who would be insane enough to do Dover <-> Calais ?
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 July 2016, 14:58:21 »

Unlikely. How many people, realistically, go to French France compared to elsewhere?  And out of those, who would be insane enough to do Dover <-> Calais ?

Lots of them, because for many of them it is still the quickest, easiest, cheapest way of getting to France. Living 40 minutes from Dover I'd be crazy to go to France any other way. Now that she's retired and the advantage of a night crossing after work doesn't apply, my aunt considers Dover Calais a better route than Plymouth Roscoff. And she lives about 3 miles from Plymouth docks.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 July 2016, 15:16:30 »

Lots of them, because for many of them it is still the quickest, easiest, cheapest way of getting to France. Living 40 minutes from Dover I'd be crazy to go to France any other way. Now that she's retired and the advantage of a night crossing after work doesn't apply, my aunt considers Dover Calais a better route than Plymouth Roscoff. And she lives about 3 miles from Plymouth docks.

I go to France quite a lot. Dover or Folkestone is a 5 hour drive, but still cheaper and more convenient than the long sea journey alternatives. My preferred option is Eurotunnel, a bit more expensive than ferry but quicker and more convenient.

Came back from France last weekend on Eurotunnel, over an hour to get to the terminal after checking in, so the security checks are not only UK > France direction.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 July 2016, 15:29:24 »

Isn't Dunkirk often cheaper?

I guess it depends where in France you want to be, as to whether its worth the hassle of Dover (the vast majority would have to suffer M25 and M2) and ending up in the worse shithole in all of France (Calais). On the upside, its easy to get a safe distance from Calais within 30 mins or so from driving off the ferry - depending on whether their Passport Control plebs could be arsed to turn up for work.

I used to be a fan of the tunnel, but grew weary of their delays and invalidating tickets on a whim, and forcing you to pay full price for a new, valid one ( > €200 each way), which makes them bloody expensive.

Done Portsmouth <-> Ouistreham for the last couple of years, which although a 5hr crossing, actually saves a bucketload of time and driving - not that driving in France is tiring, as you know - if needing to be over that side...   ...even if it does mean dealing with all the retards on the A34. And if a daytime crossing, the cabins are only about £15 :)

Having been forced to spend a night in Calias once, I'd be delighted to never have to go anywhere near that place ever again.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 July 2016, 16:21:54 »

Isn't Dunkirk often cheaper?

I guess it depends where in France you want to be, as to whether its worth the hassle of Dover (the vast majority would have to suffer M25 and M2) and ending up in the worse shithole in all of France (Calais). On the upside, its easy to get a safe distance from Calais within 30 mins or so from driving off the ferry - depending on whether their Passport Control plebs could be arsed to turn up for work.

How is the M2 bad? Even during the rush hours the traffic is moving. The M20 is worse due to heavy traffic around Maidstone using the badly designed junctions. And quite why anyone would use the M20 to get to Dover Eastern docks is beyond me, that must be the hassle you mentioned. Using the M2/A2 means you drive off the end of a dual carriageway, around a roundabout and about 1/2 mile later you stop for passport control.

Rouen is an hour and forty-five minutes from Calais docks. Less if you hurry.

Every time I've booked a crossing in the last ten years the tunnel has always been more expensive; twice as much out of season. The minimal time saved simply isn't worth that to me.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 July 2016, 16:50:10 »

Why anyone would hurry is beyond me. Every time I've passed through Rouen I've ended up lost. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 July 2016, 17:36:43 »

Don't know why anyone would want to go abroad on holibobs, unless a 4+ hour flight is involved.... :-\

Plenty to see/do in this country  :y

Weather has been ok this last couple of weeks and if wasn't the fact I had 6 weeks off work earlier this year...I would have been in Dorset last week  :'(

Thinking about going camping to the Isle of Wight next year .... don't get 12 hour delays trying to get there  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 July 2016, 17:43:31 »

Why anyone would hurry is beyond me. Every time I've passed through Rouen I've ended up lost. >:(
And if you try Sat Nag, it takes you right through the centre, ignoring the bypass  >:(
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 July 2016, 18:08:24 »

Fantastic.

Don't you just love how people drift off onto minutae e.g. which is cheaper, where is better to holiday.etc

I take it that you have all just accepted that there is nothing anyone could do to improve the situation and that it is acceptable. Terrorists win again.

( Rouen - I agree the place is a hellhole to negotiate.) ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 July 2016, 20:06:06 »

I just follow the signs for Le Mans: through the tunnel, over the bridge, turn right and back under the bridge, go past the railway sidings,straight across the roundabout with the concrete cows, up the hill and rejoin the motorway. Easy. Takes about 15 minutes at lunchtime.
« Last Edit: 25 July 2016, 20:17:34 by Nick W »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 July 2016, 21:24:33 »

I just follow the signs for Le Mans: through the tunnel, over the bridge, turn right and back under the bridge, go past the railway sidings,straight across the roundabout with the concrete cows, up the hill and rejoin the motorway. Easy. Takes about 15 minutes at lunchtime.

There's a fantastic steak restaurant next to the Mercure Hotel in Alencon, which is about 35 miles before Le Mans on the A28.  :y

They cook the steaks over a massive log fire in a big old inglenook fireplace along with various pots of sauce!  8)

Highly recommended!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 July 2016, 22:18:59 »

Ah yes, of course that's spot on   ???

Well actually very recently my SatNav tried to take me through the city centre. I ignored and followed signs. Better.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 July 2016, 22:21:27 »

There's a fantastic steak restaurant next to the Mercure Hotel in Alencon, which is about 35 miles before Le Mans on the A28.  :y

They cook the steaks over a massive log fire in a big old inglenook fireplace along with various pots of sauce!  8)

Highly recommended!  :y

So, not quite the same as the Hotel B&B just outside to the North of Alencon where I stayed then. Some people are so posh  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.