Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dover , channel crossing hold ups.  (Read 9913 times)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Dover , channel crossing hold ups.
« Reply #30 on: 26 July 2016, 00:33:43 »

There's a fantastic steak restaurant next to the Mercure Hotel in Alencon, which is about 35 miles before Le Mans on the A28.  :y

They cook the steaks over a massive log fire in a big old inglenook fireplace along with various pots of sauce!  8)

Highly recommended!  :y

That takes me back - used to use that place regularly years ago - as you say good steaks cooked as you like it, and friendly owners.  Remember owners wife playing with my daughter as we ate, and chatted to the owner.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 July 2016, 08:55:42 »

There's a fantastic steak restaurant next to the Mercure Hotel in Alencon, which is about 35 miles before Le Mans on the A28.  :y

They cook the steaks over a massive log fire in a big old inglenook fireplace along with various pots of sauce!  8)

So, not quite the same as the Hotel B&B just outside to the North of Alencon where I stayed then. Some people are so posh  ;D

I used to work for a 'posh' company that were generous with expenses Rog.  ;)   I'd be at the local campsite if it had come from my pocket!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26 July 2016, 09:26:43 »

Rouen is an hour and forty-five minutes from Calais docks. Less if you hurry.

Why anyone would hurry is beyond me. Every time I've passed through Rouen I've ended up lost. >:(
And if you try Sat Nag, it takes you right through the centre, ignoring the bypass  >:(

I think you're using it wrong  ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 26 July 2016, 09:34:41 »

I just follow the signs for Le Mans: through the tunnel, over the bridge, turn right and back under the bridge, go past the railway sidings,straight across the roundabout with the concrete cows, up the hill and rejoin the motorway. Easy. Takes about 15 minutes at lunchtime.

Yep, easy enough in theory, kept passing those rather concrete cows in an endless loop.

It was the fact that one of the main drags through Alencon is called the "Avenue de Basingstoke" (their twin town) that made me laugh. Probably sounds exotic in a French accent. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 26 July 2016, 09:37:29 »

I just follow the signs for Le Mans: through the tunnel, over the bridge, turn right and back under the bridge, go past the railway sidings,straight across the roundabout with the concrete cows, up the hill and rejoin the motorway. Easy. Takes about 15 minutes at lunchtime.

Yep, easy enough in theory, kept passing those rather concrete cows in an endless loop.

Probably didn't help that we were normally in a convoy of three. One guy had a map, one guy had the directions and I was tail end Charlie with the smallest petrol tank and the only one with a mobile phone, or any glimmer of a sense of direction. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26 July 2016, 11:49:11 »

Here's a thought... OK, the ferries have gradually been getting bigger, but there are fewer of them, serving far fewer ports than they used to... There are also many times more trucks coming and going through Dover...

My suggestion is simply this:

Keep Dover/Calais as a freight and coach only crossing and  have Folkestone/Boulogne and Ramsgate/Dunkirk as dedicated car/caravan routes...

Less stress on the infrastructure on either side and a better travelling experience all round.

As for the tunnel, that simply needs flooding  :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 26 July 2016, 12:15:58 »

With 16million passengers per year passing through Dover, using the Tesco have a bigger carpark port of Ramsgate won't help much. Folkestone isn't much better.

Perhaps we could waste another couple of million quid on the Medway Queen and pretend that's viable as a ferry? Chatham does still have a pier it could use  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 26 July 2016, 16:02:26 »

With 16million passengers per year passing through Dover, using the Tesco have a bigger carpark port of Ramsgate won't help much. Folkestone isn't much better.

Perhaps we could waste another couple of million quid on the Medway Queen and pretend that's viable as a ferry? Chatham does still have a pier it could use  ;D
;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 26 July 2016, 20:42:02 »

I have yet to have an edible steak in France.  The French simply have no idea how to cook steak...  ...or anything else for that matter.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 26 July 2016, 20:44:25 »

Rouen is an hour and forty-five minutes from Calais docks. Less if you hurry.

Why anyone would hurry is beyond me. Every time I've passed through Rouen I've ended up lost. >:(
And if you try Sat Nag, it takes you right through the centre, ignoring the bypass  >:(

I think you're using it wrong  ::)
Can't remember if that was the one that I subsequently mislaid at the end of the Aston Expressway, or another one.
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 July 2016, 11:50:07 »

I have yet to have an edible steak in France.  The French simply have no idea how to cook steak...  ...or anything else for that matter.

The French cook steak perfectly, unlike the UK that burns it to a cinder useful only for using on boots. 

"Entrecote Bleu, s'il vous plait"  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 July 2016, 12:06:14 »

The French cook steak perfectly, unlike the UK that burns it to a cinder useful only for using on boots. 

I like my meat well cooked.

I don't want to eat something that looks like a good vet could get it back on it's feet again.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 July 2016, 12:51:37 »

From what i can gather from my french sources, the french police are on their arse after the overtime post various attacks, Euro 2016 and subsequent leave bans.  Eventually something has to give and the result is queues at Dover.  I hear that the policing at airports is under strain too.  I dont think that it was intentional as the last thing the french want is for brits to not spend their holidays in france/on the continent.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27 July 2016, 18:35:33 »

By my reckoning, that roughly translates to "Wipe its ass and shove it on my plate, please"

So no 'cooking' required then  ;D :D :)

PS Its probably not cow steak anyway  ::)
« Last Edit: 27 July 2016, 18:38:17 by TD »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 27 July 2016, 18:56:10 »

No matter how you like it, the French cannot cook steak. They should supply a good chainsaw.  Knowing they can't prepare steak properly, I normally ask for rare (same as blue here), but even fillet is still harder to eat than my workboots.

They only hang it for a couple of days, unlike UK that usually hang for 3 weeks, which helps making it more tender.

Even the posh Michelin starred, €90 per person sliver of meat with a drizzle of jus poncy wank places, its bloody awful.  Even Beefeater can make their cheapo rumps better.

Trouble is, being a steak and chips man, I never learn  :-[
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.