Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PLEASE get your female dogs spayed! (Stressful time!)  (Read 1551 times)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile

FurryGK, knocking on a bit, had never been spayed - as she came with MrsGK it wasn't something I'd looked too much into. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

FurryGK started going off her food, getting fussy, and then stopped drinking. Down to the vets expecting a course of drugs... within minutes she was in for emergency surgery!  :-X

Turns out her uterus had become infected and swollen to many times its normal size. FurryGK however has a ridiculous level of pain tolerance, the vet said even he couldn't believe that she just seemed a little under the weather, trotting about and sniffing at things, and not seeming seriously ill and not moving!

Happy ending though, after four hours she came out, a lovely neat scar up her belly and a lampshade on her head. Now the drugs have worn off, she's back to eating anything that she can sniff out, and finding the sunny spots in the garden...

So please, if any of you have a female dog, do get them spayed early, if not already done. Pyometras are not fun...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE get your female dogs spayed! (Stressful time!)
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2016, 08:49:27 »

Aw, I'm glad furry is ok now, they are part of you, aren't they?

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2016, 09:29:53 »

A costly procedure no doubt,and unless you [anyone with a pet that is]already have it,a good lesson in taking out pet insurance!Glad that there's a happy ending here :y

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2016, 10:04:28 »

A costly procedure no doubt,and unless you [anyone with a pet that is]already have it,a good lesson in taking out pet insurance!Glad that there's a happy ending here :y

*looks at bank statement*... yep, very pricey.

Sadly a combination of previous health issues and her age meant we couldn't take out pet insurance,  luckily we have always had a "vet fund" saved up. Much like it is prudent to do when running an Omega in fact... ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2016, 11:58:15 »

Sadly a combination of previous health issues and her age meant we couldn't take out pet insurance,  luckily we have always had a "vet fund" saved up. Much like it is prudent to do when running an Omega in fact... ;)

An old Omega is likely to neuter itself without any help from its owner ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2016, 16:20:33 »

Yep......the insurers are looking to insure young healthy mutts in excellent condition. For the life of me I can't think why they won't insure shagged-out old mutts on their last legs. ::) ::)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2016, 18:08:43 »

Yep......the insurers are looking to insure young healthy mutts in excellent condition. For the life of me I can't think why they won't insure shagged-out old mutts on their last legs. ::) ::)

...it was three years ago when we tried, being honest souls we said we could only estimate her age then as about 7, and told them that she had had previous operations. It wasnt a case of "she's looking poorly, quick call Direct Line so we don't have to pay for it"... ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2016, 12:35:38 »

...it was three years ago when we tried, being honest souls we said we could only estimate her age then as about 7, and told them that she had had previous operations. It wasnt a case of "she's looking poorly, quick call Direct Line so we don't have to pay for it"... ::)

Even if you can insure a young healthy animal the 'exclusions list' will be long and expensive.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2016, 20:04:22 »

Sounds it bit like life insurance and these days travel insurance M'lud. ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.