Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inket printer problem  (Read 1491 times)

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
Inket printer problem
« on: 27 July 2016, 13:30:46 »

Having problems with my HP Officejet 5610 All-in-one printer, in that it recently decided to refuse to work with Asda 'compatible' cartridges,which have always worked OK in the past even after upgrade to WIN 10. I've tried everything my simple brain can understand from the Help pages, but am being told that the computer is 'offline' or 'not switched on'.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled from HP on-screeen upgrade software to no avail. The copy function still works so I presume there is nothing wrong mechanically, and the printers own setup menu gives the same 'offline' message. Can any kind expert tell me whether I'm missing something basic?
The machine has not 'been tested' by HP for Win 10 compatability according to on-screen info. Is this where the problem lies?
It's always given good service and whilst I wouldn't mind changing for a later model it would be great if anyone could suggest a current machine with similar capabilities. Looking through catalogues, and online, is a jungle!
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Cheers.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Inket printer problem
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2016, 16:20:22 »

Try this, de installing all the HP software and removing the Printer completely under settings, Reboot and let win10 detect and install its own drivers etc without any HP software, see how goes and if need be download the lasted drivers from HP for win10 and install any dashboard software that may be required.

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2016, 16:28:19 »

Thanks Zirk.
I think I did all that over the last couple of days but didn't solve the problem. (you will have detected that my computer knowledge is limited to say the least.
However, I stumbled on another topic on here and did a system restore as described and Hey Presto!, that's cured the problem.
It's clear that Win 10 update had corrupted the drivers as suggested in that post. What the hell are Microsoft up to?
Thanks for your interest anyway. Much appreciated.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2016, 17:09:16 »

Touch wood it will be ok untill the next win10 update, which will happen again if youve restored to a time before that.

There is a fairly recent win10 system upgrade which was quiet a heavy one, so a bit of luck maybe it didn't download in full.  :-\

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2016, 17:26:47 »

I restored to just before the last WIN10 update so perhaps I'll have the same problem again in the future, but fingers crossed.
I presume a new printer would be WIN 10 compliant and therefore avoid the problem. Am I correct, please?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2016, 17:54:15 »

If you can identify the driver you are presently using device manager, printer properties, details, driver version, it "may" be possible to download the driver software to your system and keep it handy, then when win 10 does an upgrade and overwrites the driver, you just re-install the one you know works... I have to do this with a couple of legacy devices, bit of a pain but I know it works ....  :)

to get to device manager .. right click on the little 4-windows symbol bottom left, device manager should be the 5th one down .. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2016, 18:50:32 »

Can I be blunt?

Its a cheap-shit HP AIO.  Bin it, get a newer one, life is too short.

When I worked there, they were often offloading their cheap-shit AIO's to staff, often for under £20 delivered.  As soon as the (half filled - cheapskates) cartridge ran out, we all used to bin them and buy new ones. They were all rubbish.

HP are no better and no worse than the other printer manufacturers - driver support (in fact all support) will end the day the model is released.  If you want it to last, buy something more expensive (same for any manufacturer).

If you buy a printer where the head is part of the printer (as opposed to part of the cartridge like your current HP), *DONT* use pattern cartridges, unless you are prepared to bin the printer quickly.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2016, 19:22:34 »

We've had our cheapo deskjet for years now. Always buy HP cartridges and it's been good as gold even when the printer broke at wifey's school and she had to do about 500 pages one evening. It will, of course, spit it's dummy now I've said that.

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2016, 19:52:26 »

Thanks for the replies and blunt advice.  :D
At least I know what caused the problem.
The overall performance of the machine hasn't been a problem. It's just annoying that WIN 10 upgrades seem to be designed to incorporate elements of enforced obsolescence.
I'll wait for it to happen again and then buy a new one, and send this one to STEMO.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.