Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: P*****d off of Wootty Bassett  (Read 13815 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
P*****d off of Wootty Bassett
« on: 28 July 2016, 17:04:37 »

Typical ... we leave tomorrow towing the tin-tent to Scotland for a 2 week holiday... just been trailered home by Green Flag with a major gearbox failure .... no warning at all .. stopped at the bank to pay in a cheque, came out, started car, went to pull away ... MASSIVE grinding sounds, terrible vibration, no movement at all .... knock it into neutral .. it took 4-5 seconds to react with a horrible squealing tinny sound .... so looks like I'm looking for a known good AR35 + flexplate + torqueconverter .. and someone to help me change it at the roadside.

Can't even put it on the ramp at the moment as I need to get the tin-tent out, luckily we have a friend who has a "spare" LR discovery that he will lend us for 2 weeks.... so we WILL go on holiday ... just a tad late by the time we sort our act out.

:(

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: P*****d off of Wootty Bassett
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2016, 17:06:38 »

Bad luck Nige. Tigers Gonads has a serviceable box which I was going to use before I got the NOS one. :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2016, 17:15:25 »

Bad luck Nige. Tigers Gonads has a serviceable box which I was going to use before I got the NOS one. :y

Ahh thanks for that .. PM sent to TG  .. :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2016, 17:33:36 »

Bugger! At least you'll get your fortnight away ..... you might even be tempted to buy a 4x4 on the back of it  ;)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2016, 17:47:26 »

Nightmare , but at least you can get away that's the most important thing.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2016, 18:01:58 »

Sorry to hear that Nige....tho it could have been worse....with the gearbox failing either on the way to Scotland or while you were there....cutting the holiday short!

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2016, 18:10:37 »

Yep could have been worse,just back from somerset holiday and did notice higher amount of breakdowns than i normally see, not fair wrecks holidays >:(
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2016, 19:21:40 »

Typical ... we leave tomorrow towing the tin-tent to Scotland for a 2 week holiday... just been trailered home by Green Flag with a major gearbox failure .... no warning at all .. stopped at the bank to pay in a cheque, came out, started car, went to pull away ... MASSIVE grinding sounds, terrible vibration, no movement at all .... knock it into neutral .. it took 4-5 seconds to react with a horrible squealing tinny sound .... so looks like I'm looking for a known good AR35 + flexplate + torqueconverter .. and someone to help me change it at the roadside.

Can't even put it on the ramp at the moment as I need to get the tin-tent out, luckily we have a friend who has a "spare" LR discovery that he will lend us for 2 weeks.... so we WILL go on holiday ... just a tad late by the time we sort our act out.

I have an option for you Nige, if all goes well with our trip to Scotland over the next two weeks with the wife's X type estate Jag, I will be putting the Black Elite estate up on here, more room in an Estate  ::) ::) ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2016, 19:53:31 »

Not just dumped all its ATF?
Grumpy old man

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2016, 20:43:15 »

Thrust washer. My guess.
Hoof'land storeman.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2016, 21:06:02 »

Gearbox failure, welding the cills underneath, wow, think I would have given up on that a while ago.

Surprised at such a critical failure, how many miles does it have on it?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 July 2016, 22:29:17 »

Is the box at fault? Or is it just the flexplate that has let go?

Your reference to terrible vibrations makes me think that the torque converter was making a bid for freedom. If that was the case then the unknown will be whether the input shaft or oil pump have been damaged :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 July 2016, 22:44:23 »

Is the box at fault? Or is it just the flexplate that has let go?

Your reference to terrible vibrations makes me think that the torque converter was making a bid for freedom. If that was the case then the unknown will be whether the input shaft or oil pump have been damaged :-\

Had that go on the Disco last year, now have an H/duty one in :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 July 2016, 23:41:35 »

Thanks for all the comments.... in no particular order ...

157590 miles

No sign of leaking ATF at all, box is dry as is the floor

No idea how to check the flexplate versus the box .. I assume the worst ... :( (guessing that it needs dropping anyway)

Sounds far worse than a thrust washer .. the high pitched sound was like a bandsaw ... so perhaps one of the brake bands has given up ...

Vibrations "might" be the wrong word .. the whole car was "shuddering" quite markedly for the 6 feet it moved, it sort of felt like you were driving with a wheel clamp on.

Once stopped, switched off, good look around/under .. nothing visual so tried it again .. all the noises and shuddering but no movement in any gear, so switched off and left off.

Guy up the road suggested the diff had seized .. I discount that as in neutral it rolls quite easily and quietly.

Think thats all I can add right now .. :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 July 2016, 13:21:03 »

Worry about it after holibobs. Enjoy the Disco for the next 2 weeks, and relax.  The gay Gold 'un will still be there on your return :)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.