Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: P*****d off of Wootty Bassett  (Read 13818 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: P*****d off of Wootty Bassett
« Reply #15 on: 29 July 2016, 13:21:38 »

What I meant to say is worse case in likely AR35, and £75 should get you a working one :y
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 August 2016, 13:48:45 »

luckily we have a friend who has a "spare" LR discovery that he will lend us for 2 weeks.... so we WILL go on holiday ... just a tad late by the time we sort our act out.

:(

how did you get on towing with the 4x4? I always though my Omega towed well, but my R Class tows even better  :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 August 2016, 16:01:42 »

luckily we have a friend who has a "spare" LR discovery that he will lend us for 2 weeks.... so we WILL go on holiday ... just a tad late by the time we sort our act out.

how did you get on towing with the 4x4? I always though my Omega towed well, but my R Class tows even better  :y

I find the same but like you have 2.5 tonne kerb weight which brings stability without 4WD :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 August 2016, 16:30:10 »

which brings stability without 4WD :y

I don't have an option  ;)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 August 2016, 17:08:40 »

which brings stability without 4WD :y

I don't have an option  ;)

Nor do I but don't think AWD makes that much difference tbh :y
other rides 

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 August 2016, 19:06:26 »

Neither do I ... but at leasts it's better than FWD  :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 August 2016, 10:28:23 »

Neither do I ... but at leasts it's better than FWD  :y

Christ yes,I used to tow with a rover 827 and plenty of poke but not much traction :-\
other rides 

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 August 2016, 10:49:40 »

Christ yes,I used to tow with a rover 827 and plenty of poke but not much traction :-\

They were bad enough without a caravan leaning the back. I was once lent one .... understeer was an understatement

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 August 2016, 11:57:57 »

Well it got me there and back, and we have the use of it for another 2 weeks until Daz can come and work his magic !!

As for towing with the Disco, it is without doubt a very capable machine, although it nearly wrote us and the van off very early on in our relationship !!

Towed fine along the A417/419 in fairly heavy traffic at around 45-50 mph. Got onto the M5 and was aiming for a steady 60 mph, at 55 mph it suddenly developed the mother of all tank slappers, for no reason whatsoever, no gusty wind, no lane changes, no trucks going past .... it just went ..  :(  luckily all the traffic behind backed right off and left me alone .. all three lanes + the hard shoulder for about 30 seconds .. I REALLY thought I was going to lose it and roll .. but as the speed dropped back to 50mph it came back under control .... certainly a "brown trouser" moment ... we continued on at 45-50mph solid as a rock to the next services to ponder and breath properly....

Walking back from the coffee house I noticed that the van was sitting quite nose high on the towball, it should sit slightly nose down. Nowt I could do about it so we continued at 50mph for the rest of the journey there and back whilst towing, car was fine up to 70mph solo.

On return I mentioned this to the owner who's enlightening response was "Oh sh*t .. drop plate" ... seems that when he sold his Range Rover the purchaser needed a drop plate, which he took off the Disco and never replaced, and had forgotten about ...plus he has recently replaced the suspension airbags ..... so the towball is actually some 4 inches higher than the max height !! hence the nose high attitude !!

For those who have never towed .... if the nose is up rather than down, then at speed the wind gets under the nose and lifts it, making the front end light and the back end heavy, in relative terms, which leads to the "pendulum effect", which is a major cause of instability and is the reason for many of the caravan wrecks you see on motorways, and yes .. we were nearly one of them....  :(

Should I have noticed it beforehand ?? perhaps .. but I assumed the towball was the right height, and because the road slopes outside our house the van didn't look nose high when hitched up.

As they say ... lesson learned ... we were lucky.

Would I buy a Disco ?? Nope, and not because of this, but I still don't like the driving position, the seats, the noise, the (lack of) turning circle, and a few other points.... I want my Miggy back !!  :)

As an aside, in just under 1000 miles over the 2 weeks we saw 1, yup, just 1, omega ...  :(

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 August 2016, 19:54:51 »

the mother of all tank slappers for no reason whatsoever, no gusty wind, no lane changes, no trucks going past .... it just went ..  :(  luckily all the traffic behind backed right off and left me alone

I know we have chatted about this before but having been there myself I can confirm that it is NOT a nice feeling. I had all three lanes of the M5, front tyres screeching sideways and the van wheels lifting with each motion of the tail wagging the dog. It was the mother of all snakes. We continued to caravan for many years afterwards but I NEVER forgot that day. It's a horrible sensation.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 August 2016, 22:03:48 »

Were you using an anti-snake bar, or are they now obsolete? :-\

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 August 2016, 22:42:25 »

The AKS type are built in to the hitch head now. It's not a blade anymore, they're a friction pad type.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 August 2016, 22:48:25 »

New vans use friction pads built into the hitchhead that "clamp" to the towball to do what the older bars did, but they have no chance of stopping 1600kgs with the energy of 55 mph (e=mv²) if it decides to go... but I dare say they help it come back into line as the unit slows down. ATC (Automatic Trailer Control) fitted to the van (applies the van brakes if it senses too high a lateral movement) was not working as the Disco, being old, is not wired up to power it, only has a 12N socket, no 12S .. :(

Edit :  beaten to it DOH !!

2boxerdogs

« Reply #28 on: 18 August 2016, 12:30:07 »

Had this experience a few years ago when towing with a MK2 Granada again people backed off so I could get the unit under control, always try to stay at around 55 mph when towing now just seems comfortable, have seen caravans hurtling along at over the 70mph limit , best of luck to them !!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 August 2016, 13:37:12 »

have seen caravans hurtling along at over the 70mph limit , best of luck to them !!

Does an outfit that's legal at those speeds in Europe suddenly become dangerous once on this side of the Channel?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.