Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobile signal booster  (Read 3258 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Mobile signal booster
« on: 28 April 2018, 17:05:43 »

I recently swapped to Plusnet contract for £5.00 per month (EE carrier) but they wont supply a signal booster (No signal indoors unless standing on one leg in the upstairs attic) available only if you are on an EE contract. Tried getting an EE PAYG sim, but EE wont supply  a booster for PAYG either.
Will this box work OK?
http://www.ukmobilebooster.com/c100-mobile-booster.html?product_id=C100&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy9Psm6vd2gIVzJPtCh0-bQ5HEAQYBCABEgLjOPD_BwE
Or is it just a case of 'yer pays yer money etc'.? :-\

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile signal booster
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2018, 16:54:06 »

I’ve got something similar and have had limited success with it
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2018, 17:01:40 »

Maybe pay a little more a month to a provider who will give you a mobile over broadband box?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2018, 17:25:48 »

Ive Installed a few of them in past, although the stuff we used cost a lot more than that one, they work on Same Frequency Repeater principle and can be a bit hit and miss if not Installed properly. The trick is to get as much isolation between the 2 antennas as possible, normally done by getting the Source Antenna as High as possible on the roof and as far away as possible from the inside Home Antenna.

The inside Home antenna needs to be away from Windows etc best archived by mounting in the ceiling of the target Room or in the center of the Ground Floor, dont expect it to cover the whole House, it will only cover a few meters from the inside antenna, you can get splitters and use more than one inside aerial to different rooms etc, if its a big house though.

Also make sure you using a really good low loss coax as well that is also key, by they way these are not Legal to use as your Re Transmitting the Networks Radio Signals and you dont have a Licence for that, you can legally buy them and Install them its the switching them on thats the illegal bit, the Networks know about them as do Ofcom as far as I know no one as been prosecuted yet.   
« Last Edit: 29 April 2018, 17:28:09 by zirk »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2018, 18:55:20 »

Ive Installed a few of them in past, although the stuff we used cost a lot more than that one, they work on Same Frequency Repeater principle and can be a bit hit and miss if not Installed properly. The trick is to get as much isolation between the 2 antennas as possible, normally done by getting the Source Antenna as High as possible on the roof and as far away as possible from the inside Home Antenna.

The inside Home antenna needs to be away from Windows etc best archived by mounting in the ceiling of the target Room or in the center of the Ground Floor, dont expect it to cover the whole House, it will only cover a few meters from the inside antenna, you can get splitters and use more than one inside aerial to different rooms etc, if its a big house though.

Also make sure you using a really good low loss coax as well that is also key, by they way these are not Legal to use as your Re Transmitting the Networks Radio Signals and you dont have a Licence for that, you can legally buy them and Install them its the switching them on thats the illegal bit, the Networks know about them as do Ofcom as far as I know no one as been prosecuted yet.

Thanks Chris, very useful. It sounds as though it is a bit of a faff to fit, and with limited coverage in the house. Although I only really need it in two rooms, study and living room. :-\

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2018, 19:09:07 »

I,m on Vodafone. Have to have a sure signal box in the house to get a signal. No network can provide a signel where I live, in a dip just before the top of a small hill.
Everything goes right over the top of us

Keith ABS

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2018, 19:20:00 »

Thanks Chris, very useful. It sounds as though it is a bit of a faff to fit, and with limited coverage in the house. Although I only really need it in two rooms, study and living room. :-\
I seem to remember you posted a Thread about the EE Signal Box and working on Plusnet a while back, sure it was you, what was the out come of that in the end, I know there difficult to get hold of but you might be better off spending your hard earned dosh on trying to get your hands on one of them and hook it up to your Broadband.  ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2018, 19:26:10 »

I seem to remember you posted a Thread about the EE Signal Box and working on Plusnet a while back, sure it was you, what was the out come of that in the end, I know there difficult to get hold of but you might be better off spending your hard earned dosh on trying to get your hands on one of them and hook it up to your Broadband.  ;)

Yes it was me, I had a cunning plan to change SWMBO's PAYG from VF to EE and then get a box from EE. However, it turns out you can only get one on a contract, and as she hardly ever uses it, it is hardly worth it, but the next plan is to take out the cheapest EE sim only at £11 pm and get the box, then let the contract lapse after a year, and keep the box. I want to keep mine on plusnet as I only pay £5 pm. They are avlbl to buy, but anecdotally online, you still need a contract for EE to authorise it for use. :y
« Last Edit: 29 April 2018, 19:29:27 by Shackeng »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2018, 19:32:18 »

They sometimes come up on eBay or Guntree, unlike the Vodafone ones the EE Ones are not Sim No. Specific

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2018, 20:27:03 »

They sometimes come up on eBay or Guntree, unlike the Vodafone ones the EE Ones are not Sim No. Specific
Or, if your not fussed about 4G in the House look out for a T Mobile one your still get GSM and 3G (HSDPA) out of them.  ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2018, 22:34:48 »

But as I said, anecdotally, you have to ask EE to 'switch' it on. :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 April 2018, 13:26:22 »

But as I said, anecdotally, you have to ask EE to 'switch' it on. :y
Hmm, ok, again not sure, I thought second hand ones might be activated and stay that way, the T Mobile one I had just pluged in and it worked, but that was a Looong time ago, T thought the EE ones were the same boxes but just with different frequiencies Bands.  :-\

I also thought EE dont dish them out anymore?, hence sourcing a used one?  :-\

Thinking about it, one of my Sons works for EE, I'll ask Him, although normally discussing anything other than Beer or Food just results in a blank look.  ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 April 2018, 13:48:52 »

Also, Hot off the Press, April 2018, is this article regarding Ofcom to allow licience Free Mobile Repeaters for Home and Vehicle Use, worth a read anyway, could be if there is a Legal Spec or Criteria for Legal Use in the UK then the Big Players may get involved, meaning more choice and cheaper solutions in the near future.  ;)

https://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/3030063/ofcom-unveils-new-measures-to-make-usage-of-mobile-phone-repeaters-legal

Edit: Hmm, seems you may need an account to read the article, so heres the wording below. -

People will soon be able to use certain types of mobile phone repeaters without the need for a license as part of new measures announced by Ofcom.

Mobile phone repeaters accelerate the connection between a mobile phone and the network operator's masts. They aim to improve mobile reception for users.

Last October, Ofcom unveiled it would one day be possible to use two types of repeater without a license. This ruling applies to static mobile phone repeaters used indoors, as well as low gain mobile repeaters in vehicles.

Now, it has finally put together the regulations that will let people use such devices freely under the law. However, the devices have to "meet the required technical standards and conditions of use".

But Ofcom said that it is "unlikely" that repeaters available on the market today will meet the requirements, meaning "their unlicensed installation and use will still be illegal".

In a statement, the regulator said: "Mobile phone repeaters amplify signals between a mobile phone and a network operator's base station and can enhance coverage in situations where the signal is weak.

"Their use by consumers is currently unlawful, as the types of wideband repeaters that we come across today can cause undue interference or other adverse effects to mobile services for other consumers.

"The only exception is if the repeaters are supplied and operated under the control of a mobile network operator."

While Ofcom has not provided a concrete date as to when the regulations will come into place, it said they should come into force "in early 2018".

Brendan Hourihane, indoor mobile signal expert from Opencell, believes that the rule will "open up the in-building mobile signal market, especially for smaller businesses that would otherwise struggle to afford other available solutions".

He said: "However, buyers will need to be wary as signal boosters and repeaters are often marketed as a plug and play technology, which is misleading.

"It's actually quite tricky to get on the right frequency, and even when you do, other repeaters and outdoor signals can start disrupting your connection at any time.

"I suspect that most providers won't offer an installation and managed service package, which is the only way to guarantee ongoing connection quality."
« Last Edit: 30 April 2018, 13:57:08 by zirk »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 April 2018, 15:16:35 »

..in other words, you're pi**ing in the wind. ;)

Mobile networks aren't designed to support these devices. It's increasingly difficult to predict what RF band and technology your phone will be using to access the network, so it's hit and miss whether you end up with a device that could even potentially help, let alone whether the conditions in your area mean that it actually will help.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 April 2018, 16:11:21 »

Thanks guys, esp for the info about legalising them.
Zirk, EE still do provide their boxes, but you have to be on contract, so my cunning plan of getting a PAYG sim didn't work. I would be interested if your son can confirm that buying one from a third party still needs authorisation from EE to work. If not I will  get one elsewhere. :y

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.