Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe air shock (self leveling shocks)-USA only!!  (Read 1826 times)

3.2omegaestate

Monroe air shock (self leveling shocks)-USA only!!
« on: 22 December 2009, 08:51:51 »

Whilst I know that the self levelling shocks are GM only parts, I found this hard to believe.

A bit of digging on the web has turned up these

http://www.a-1shocks.com/max-air-shocks/shock_detail.cfm?productID=103160

which are listed for the cadillac catera as a pattern part.  :o :o :o

They have the connection for the air line and currency conversion works out at £57 per pair. They are not listed on the monroe website on this side of the water though!!!!!!!! :-? :-? :-?

Is this a conspiracy between monroe, GM and others inorder to control the market?

By ensuring that only GM (Vx) sells the shocks in the UK and therefore charging a premium for a main dealer part, this will improve profit for all those concerned in supply and manufacture.  ::) ::) ::)

Whatever it is, yet again we are forced into second place for consumer choice over and above the GM corporate machine (well whats left of it, anyway!!!) >:( >:( >:(

Enough said

Rant over

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Monroe air shock (self leveling shocks)-USA only!!
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2009, 14:04:06 »

I think there would be quite a bit of interest from OOFers in these BUT I would want to see them in the flesh first before we started buying in numbers.

The picture (and it may only be a generic picture of a shocker with an airline connector )doesn't look like I remember my shockers at the back on the saloon. Mine has an upward pointing top bolt and not the loops top as well as the bottom.

Maybe someone with access to a UK Monroe catalogue could have a look and see if the part number MA825 is available to the UK (or better still for me Spain!) ?

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2009, 14:21:17 »

Why not contact Monroe UK? Hopefully would at least get some reaction. :-? :y

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2009, 14:22:54 »

Im sure Bielstien to self levellers for the omega for a good price, hard to find in the catalogue though...

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2009, 14:33:09 »

I tried to get air adjustable and gave up

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2009, 14:59:07 »

Sorry just remembered I fitted Monroe ride levelers to my previous 2000 3ltr MV6 estate, cant remember the Monroe type No, I Got in touch with Monroe and they filled me in with all the info no problem. I used a small 12v compressor with a dial pressure guage mounted in line in the r/hand small rear locker,It worked absolutely great and was a boon for towing the caravan, my answer to the MV6 not haveing self leveling rear shocks :y :y :y

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2009, 21:23:00 »

I had Monroe air shockers on my Pontiac years ago and found them to be superb.  Mine where set up with both air from shocks fitted to a T piece with a pressure gauge fitted allowing to set the ride height with a tyre inflater.

Often thought of adding an air compressoer with a switch in the car, but never got round to it.   Well impressed with the shocks and that was in 1986, so then can only improve after that.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2009, 10:18:55 »

Has anyone tried  UK Monroe? I know it is Christmas and all that but........I would have thought this would be a real boon for anyone with an Elite! Me included.

varche
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

mrjimbo

• Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2009, 16:41:06 »

I have used Monroe shocks before and found them to be good quality so i would be interested to see if these American spec shocks are available over here as one of mine is leaking slightly.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2009, 17:50:47 »

Here is a bit more to have a look at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-00-CADILLAC-CATERA-Shock-Absorber-MONROE-MA825_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c51ee3197QQitemZ190353125783QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

EBay USA vendor rockautollc

Price each 95 dollars! Postage for a pair to Uk/Spain is a whopping 244 dollars.

If you click on item description then it shows a shocker that looks like a GM rear elite shocker except the air valve doesn't look to be in the same position.

Here is my question. There was a vendor on German EBay ,selling to the EU, gas shocks with an airline. They worked out at about £90 for a pair from memory (hasn't got a listing at moment Edit yes herehttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-gas-shock-absorbers-rear-new-Opel-Omega-A-Senator-B_W0QQitemZ160379951651QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item255763da23 ). When connected to the Elites' air levelling system do they work the same as GM part or once pumped up do they stay the same level regardless of weight in boot/towbar?

varche 
« Last Edit: 23 December 2009, 17:54:29 by olive »

mrjimbo

• Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 December 2009, 05:46:48 »

$94.79 +$165.46 to ship to UK  =  $260.25 plus there will no doubt be a payment to the HM Customs so probably dearer than going to the Main Stealer.

Is this what you were looking at varche ?            

eBay item no 160379951651 

they look like ordinary ones, not self leveling though.
« Last Edit: 24 December 2009, 06:02:44 by mrjimbo »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.