Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOT fail  (Read 1150 times)

puma80

• Cheshire
    • Omega 2.2 auto
    • View Profile
MOT fail
« on: 03 March 2015, 21:55:54 »

Hi I apologize. In advance for these questions they are probably very basic to you guys
My Omega GLS 2001 auto failed it's mot today I am informed that I need to replace the lower front
Suspension arms disc's and pads my questions are the arms are just lumps of metal with rubber bits on the three corners can I not remove them and replace the 2 bushes and ball joint. Secondly I am informed that I have a brake
Ware sensor on the front pads but can't find the sensor or any associated wiring
I hope I have given enough info and look forward to receiving your advice
Regards Jason

Simon270172

• Sheffield
    • 2.5 CDX V6 Estate
    • View Profile
Re: MOT fail
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2015, 22:26:38 »

Hi Jason,
You can indeed replace the ball joints and the bushes on the wishbones but most people just put new bones on complete as its easier and quicker with less down time.
The ball joint and rear small bush can be easily done at home if you have a vice and appropriate bits of tube or big sockets. The big front one requires a press without question and needs to be orientated correctly as its fitted.
You have to drill out the big rivets for the b/j being careful not to enlarge the holes in the wishbone, this is best done on a drill press for accuracy.
It really depends upon how competent you are and the facility's at your disposal , its a job that many do successfully but needs to be done well.
Do not buy cheap wishbones as they wont last the year.
Brake wear sensor wiring should be clipped next to the abs wire and brake flexy hose and connects via a cylinder shaped connector held in a clip on the inner side of the wheel arch along with the abs connector. If you find it and its fubar, buy a new one or just bridge the wires to get rid of warning.
Hope that helps :y
Simon.
Regards,

Simon.

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2015, 01:41:44 »

Ahem... alot of some nonsense there ::)

Buy theses...

https://www.atp-autoteile.de/group/1150201/product/15808/18846/details.htm Good for 20k :y

Front bolts MUST be tightened with the car on the ground otherwise they won't last five minutes...

Ideal is to replace front bush with poly... £45ish from Powerflex and rears with genuine GM... £15-20 from VX...

Car then requires a full geometry set up... either Wheels In Motion, Chesham or Nigel Langs in Bolton.

Facelift cars only have one brake wear sensor... front near side iirc :y readily available for around a fiver :y

Discs and pads available as a kit from VX, typically £120 ish... expect to pay £100ish from a motor factors for AN Other disc and pads...

Simon270172

• Sheffield
    • 2.5 CDX V6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2015, 17:28:32 »

:oReally Al?
I've re-read my post and apart from not knowing there's only one wear sensor on FL's, please enlighten me as to "a lot of nonsense" cos as far as I can see I've answered his questions.

He DID NOT ask how to fit the wishbones or how much parts would be from various suppliers did he?

Also the front bushes hardly ever fail, in my experience it's the rears that go especially if you fit cheap motor factor specials so I fail to see why everyone's jumping on the band wagon about fitting bloody poly bushes at every opportunity. They make next to no difference and are an unnecessary expense.
Regards,

Simon.

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2015, 18:25:04 »

Front bushes fail just as readily as rears, but as I only have 200,000 miles of Omega experience, wtf do I know ::)

Polys do make a real difference, both to feel and wear... especially as they don't wear out... Also, by the time you've bought good quality replacement bushes, you might as well fit a set of tried and tested wishbones/droplinks/track rods for similar money... hence the link :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.