Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: suspension height  (Read 2803 times)

omegatech

• sheldon, birmingham
    • omega 2.2 cd petrol
    • View Profile
suspension height
« on: 06 March 2015, 12:28:45 »

hi there guys

just a quick question I have a 2.2 petrol the problem I have is that my suspension looks low on the back and high on the front it was not too bad before I put on the elite alloys and boot spoiler now it looks awful at times.
I have checked all the suspension everything is ok.
can I put lowering springs on but which ones do I go for to make it look better 30mm-40mm

cheers

05omegav6

Re: suspension height
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2015, 12:44:00 »

Could be broken rear springs :-\

That's to say, the car should sit level regardless of the suspension fitted :y

To add, obviously if the incorrect springs/shocks are fitted to one end or tother, then it won't be level...
« Last Edit: 06 March 2015, 12:47:33 by Taxi Al »

omegatech

• sheldon, birmingham
    • omega 2.2 cd petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2015, 12:45:50 »

hi there

I have just had my car mot`d all springs were fully checked no damage as this was my first thought too.

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2015, 12:48:20 »

hi there

I have just had my car mot`d all springs were fully checked no damage as this was my first thought too.
Wrong springs fitted then... anything in the history?

omegatech

• sheldon, birmingham
    • omega 2.2 cd petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2015, 13:29:30 »

Will check the history but what size shall I change it too 30mm-40mm

Cheers

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2015, 14:03:04 »

Depends what's been fitted and where...

Dropping the car more than 20-25mm will cripple your tyres as the camber will be impossible to set to avoid excessive inner edge wear :-\

Estate springs are a different length to saloon ones and four cylinder petrol springs are different to diesel and v6 ones...

Sports springs/shocks were fitted to 2.2 Sports and MV6 models, but these are different according to the engine/gearbox fitted...
« Last Edit: 06 March 2015, 14:04:37 by Taxi Al »

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2015, 14:08:47 »

hi there

Wrong springs fitted then... anything in the history?

It does happen, my 2.5 is too high at the back - wrong springs I suspect as there is evidence of replacement in the SH.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2015, 15:04:42 »

Cheers

If the rear wallows then you need to replace the rears. Fit standard springs for your car (not sport or elite) to achieve 675mm ride height (measure floor to wheel arch) should be same front to back.

If no wallowing and your happy with the rear and WANT to lower the ride height then subtract the actual rear ride height from 675mm. Then match the front to that to give your lowering measurement.

However. As Al says, if the rear is lower than standard (675mm) by more than 20mm the rear suspension settings are not achievable. In which case sort the rear springs for the correct ones to match the front. Or rear inner edge tyre wear and a wandering rear end will result.

Odds are, if you see a visible difference between front and rear, it will be more than 20mm too low anyway. So change rear springs for the correct ones imo.

Could start by posting up the ride height measurements on all 4 corners. Floor to wheel arch, by the centre of the wheel. It's usually a good indicator if how worn the springs are. :)

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2015, 20:52:54 »

Cheers

If the rear wallows then you need to replace the rears. Fit standard springs for your car (not sport or elite) to achieve 675mm ride height (measure floor to wheel arch) should be same front to back.

If no wallowing and your happy with the rear and WANT to lower the ride height then subtract the actual rear ride height from 675mm. Then match the front to that to give your lowering measurement.

However. As Al says, if the rear is lower than standard (675mm) by more than 20mm the rear suspension settings are not achievable. In which case sort the rear springs for the correct ones to match the front. Or rear inner edge tyre wear and a wandering rear end will result.

Odds are, if you see a visible difference between front and rear, it will be more than 20mm too low anyway. So change rear springs for the correct ones imo.

Could start by posting up the ride height measurements on all 4 corners. Floor to wheel arch, by the centre of the wheel. It's usually a good indicator if how worn the springs are. :)

Then you have the fun of trying to work out what is correct and where to get them from!
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2015, 21:51:36 »

Mine sits higher at front than back, never really felt it was an issue tbh :y

omegatech

• sheldon, birmingham
    • omega 2.2 cd petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 March 2015, 23:26:32 »

Hi guys

The measurements for both the rear height is = 662.94mm
The front drivers side is 673.1 mm
The front passenger side is 688.34

What do I need to  change the rears or fronts.

Cheers

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2015, 00:08:07 »

Hi guys

The measurements for both the rear height is = 662.94mm
The front drivers side is 673.1 mm
The front passenger side is 688.34

What do I need to  change the rears or fronts.

Cheers

Up to you. But it's the rear that's the problem as you say. It's easier to change the rears. With less set up implications. So cheaper.

Might be worth identifying the rear springs first though. They could be sport springs. Unlikely, but could be. Your looking for an an ident, such LA or LM or similar printed on the coils. Or whatever.

Do you carry any heavy loads in it?

powerslinky

« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2015, 07:58:15 »

hi there guys

just a quick question I have a 2.2 petrol the problem I have is that my suspension looks low on the back and high on the front it was not too bad before I put on the elite alloys and boot spoiler now it looks awful at times.
I have checked all the suspension everything is ok.
can I put lowering springs on but which ones do I go for to make it look better 30mm-40mm

cheers

You say it looks awful "at times"   :-\    do you have a boot full of  heavy stuff "at times" then ?

Or if not what is differing  between "at times" & and normal ?

As Mr. Gixer says front drivers side is about right for standard suspension , although front passenger side is a bit high
 ( 13mm  ish )  Just out of interest ,  have you got the  same make of tyres on both front wheels or is one really low & the other nearly new  ?  Will presume that tyre pressures are correct ?. . . The back is 15mm  ish lower, which would suggest wrong springs or possibly  knackered springs :-\

As Chris says check for spring Ident marks & post up on here .Front springs are colour coded, usually with 3 small coloured stripes, for example orange/grey/orange. Rears have 2 letters in white paint .VX dealers do have a bad history of fitting incorrect springs ::) ::)
HTH  :y
« Last Edit: 07 March 2015, 08:10:36 by Essex Big Al »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 March 2015, 10:28:40 »

Cheers

Then you have the fun of trying to work out what is correct and where to get them from!

Sachs rear springs give me bang on 27 inches from floor to wheel arch. try them  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 March 2015, 13:00:07 »

Btw there does appear to be a 10mm tolerance on the 675mm measurement. Both on the spec wheels in motion quote, and by measuring various cars. Some variance is inevitable obviously.

Where the Sachs from All Getman webby? There is a link to their on line store in parts section if needed. There's a phone number if the site isn't working.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.