Chat Area > General Car Chat

Modern DSG gearboxes

(1/2) > >>

Jimbob:
Are 3 year old and newer cars with DSG's likely to be ok now?
Assuming serviced and oil changed as required.

I know the older ones had a range of problems.

Doctor Gollum:
Older ones have issues. Newer ones might not currently have issues, but at some point they will become older ones.

I would only consider a brand new VAG product with a dsg box, and then only to ensure maximum warranty.*

If you're considering 2-3 year old cars, you need to be aware that the unlimited mileage factory warranty is 2 years, but year 3 is only warranted to 60k miles from registration... So a car that is 25+ months old with 60,001 miles on the clock will have no warranty.

*not that I have any inclination whatsoever to ever buy any VAG product again. Ever.

aaronjb:

--- Quote from: Jimbob on 17 September 2018, 06:22:56 ---Are 3 year old and newer cars with DSG's likely to be ok now?
Assuming serviced and oil changed as required.

I know the older ones had a range of problems.

--- End quote ---

You really want that Skoda, don't you ;)

So far, zero problems with the DSG in mine after 30,000 miles. £18k and I'd part with it...

Viral_Jim:
2.5yrs and 21k here, no issues and it's a good 'box imo. Not as smooth in town as a traditional slusher but not bad by any stretch.

Varche:
I will crawl out of the woodwork and own up to having one. 50 k miles on the clock when we bought it. Full service history and DSG oil and filter changed at 34k miles. That is an interval I intend to repeat.

I would echo the sentiments about driving. For example it feels "odd" when you floor the throttle. Better to feed it in. having said that violent anything isn't a good driving style. Overall I really rate it

regarding longevity, maybe I had just got worn down by spending a year looking for a second car and life is too short. If we need a new gearbox in 5 years time so be it. We needed a new gearbox on the 2.5 Omega -that was after it was about ten years old.

I wonder if there are any stats on failures per 1000?.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version