Chat Area > General Car Chat

A Day At The Auctions

(1/9) > >>

Sir Tigger KC:
I went to BCA today to buy a 'bargain' 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS in silver. It was advertised as Grade 1, had about 63,000 miles and 7 service stamps in the book.  :y  When I got there it was indeed immaculate, inside, out and underneath and when they started it up it sounded as sweet as a nut! It had clearly been well looked after. :y

Average dealer price on ebay for comparables was £12950, and as the only thing that I could see it possibly needed was a cambelt (£800-900) I decided to bid up to £11500.  The bidding quickly passed that and finished at £12500, so with auction fees it probably cost the buyer £12900ish!  ::)  With the possibility of the cost of a cambelt on top!  ;D

Ho hum!  :-\  ::)

tunnie:
They don't appear to be great value these auctions, at least outside the banger budgets.

I remember talking to that dodgy car dealer of Oxford, about BCA auctions. At the time I was on the hunt for my VW CC, having zero'd in one spec/budget I wanted.

I bought mine from CarGiant in the end, the price I paid for age, spec, miles, condition was lower than he had seen identical age/spec's go through BCA that week.  :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti:

--- Quote from: tunnie on 17 September 2018, 16:01:36 ---They don't appear to be great value these auctions, at least outside the banger budgets.

I remember talking to that dodgy car dealer of Oxford, about BCA auctions. At the time I was on the hunt for my VW CC, having zero'd in one spec/budget I wanted.

I bought mine from CarGiant in the end, the price I paid for age, spec, miles, condition was lower than he had seen identical age/spec's go through BCA that week.  :-\

--- End quote ---

True......especially when the buyers premium is added.

People fall into the trap of thinking that 'whatever' they pay it has to be cheaper because it is an auction. Often not true.

The same with house auctions.

TheBoy:
And egay.

Sir Tigger KC:
There was a bit of a 'bidding war' over a nice but nothing special, 3 or 4 year old Ford S-Max, which went for well over forecourt price!  :o  ::)  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version