Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heated washer jet bonnet  (Read 4313 times)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
Heated washer jet bonnet
« on: 19 January 2016, 12:20:55 »

Hi all my drivers side washer jet,is not working.I tried to buy one from the last place i got one from f g Barnes Guildford,but they are out of stock.All the ones on the bay are secondhand,and i worry it might be just as bad.Can you buy new from somewhere else,or will i just have to take pot luck.Regards Dean.

05omegav6

Re: Heated washer jet bonnet
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2016, 12:51:24 »

Fit a later scuttle with the jets mounted on the scuttle rather than the bonnet. Job jobbed...

That said, what isn't working? The heated bit, the jet itself or are you using diluted screenwash and wondering why it has frozen in the bonnet...

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2016, 12:54:22 »

Incidentally it would help to know what age your car is as Mfl have blanked holes in the scuttle for the jets... ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2016, 13:32:51 »

Surely sitting in a bath of vinegar or a solvent (pick something which won't damage the plastic, of course) overnight, then a blowthrough will sort it? They're not exactly complex things, it's a lump of plastic with one inlet and two outlets, poke some wire in there to free out the blockage.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2016, 13:35:15 »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vauxhall-Nozzle-Windscreen-Washer-90356178/dp/B00PQM65C4
'Plain' unheated

http://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/acatalog/Vauxhall-Heated-Windscreen-Washer-Jet---90566593.html
Heated version (though the old heating element can be removed from the duff jet and inserted in a new, 'plain' nozzle. Depends if the 15 mins this will take is worth the £20 price difference, or not)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2016, 14:37:25 »

Surely sitting in a bath of vinegar or a solvent (pick something which won't damage the plastic, of course) overnight, then a blowthrough will sort it? They're not exactly complex things, it's a lump of plastic with one inlet and two outlets, poke some wire in there to free out the blockage.
Pop a pin in each jet... repeat as required... ::)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2016, 20:51:31 »

Fit a later scuttle with the jets mounted on the scuttle rather than the bonnet. Job jobbed...

That said, what isn't working? The heated bit, the jet itself or are you using diluted screenwash and wondering why it has frozen in the bonnet...
Hi mate,its not the heated bit.There is just no screen-wash coming out of the drivers side.Pass side is working good and i am using 50/50 screen wash mix.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2016, 20:52:28 »

Incidentally it would help to know what age your car is as Mfl have blanked holes in the scuttle for the jets... ;)
Its a 1995 elite.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2016, 20:53:30 »

Hi i tried this still no good.

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2016, 21:12:36 »

Hi i tried this still no good.
50/50 mix might still freeze in the pipe across the bonnet...

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2016, 09:02:42 »

So you've removed the jet, soaked it in some form of detergent/cleaner overnight, then poked it through with some wire, and it's still blocked?

Surely a breaker onhere must have an old PFL washerjet they can sell this poor chap?

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2016, 14:21:38 »

These jets are common to about 20 billion other Vauxhalls and are a common dimension to the current range and therefore readily available...

But you have yet to confirm whether the blockage is ice or not ::)

Incidentally, the blockage is as likely to be at the passenger jet or in the joining pipe... so remove both jets, and the cross pipe, clean and refit then report back :y

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2016, 07:25:38 »

These jets are common to about 20 billion other Vauxhalls and are a common dimension to the current range and therefore readily available...

Incidentally, the blockage is as likely to be at the passenger jet or in the joining pipe... so remove both jets, and the cross pipe, clean and refit then report back :y
Hi HKT ,first so i can use any jet from any vauxhall from a scrappy.The blockage is not ice as the passenger side one,which was a new one 2 years ago is working fine.I know someone will ask why did i buy only one,well at the time the drivers side was working fine to.I will do as you suggest over the weekend,thanks Dean.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2016, 09:03:47 »

Just to clarify,
-if you want to replace like-for-like, then any mid 90s (or 80s) designed Vauxhall with bonnet mounted jets will do (though you'd lose the heated function, until such time as you fit the heater element/decide you don't care and can live without it etc)
-if you want to change your PFL to FL-style screen wash function, then it's any FL Omega, or indeed any with the scuttle-mounted jets (again, see above re: heater element) you'll need both jets and the altered pipework, too, of course.

Dependant on availability, affects which of the two above options you go with.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2016, 10:09:10 »

Just to clarify,
-if you want to replace like-for-like, then any mid 90s (or 80s) designed Vauxhall with bonnet mounted jets will do (though you'd lose the heated function, until such time as you fit the heater element/decide you don't care and can live without it etc)
-if you want to change your PFL to FL-style screen wash function, then it's any FL Omega, or indeed any with the scuttle-mounted jets (again, see above re: heater element) you'll need both jets and the altered pipework, too, of course.

Dependant on availability, affects which of the two above options you go with.
Hi BDG,i think the heated element is important in this weather we are having,so i will have to buy this.I don't really want to mess about with pipework.Thanks for the link and advice Dean.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 January 2016, 10:50:49 »

No worries. If you get utterly stuck, like I say I can try and sort one out for you, but I just don't want to promise you one if I'm literally unable to get to scrappy/spares car - all that time you're left hanging on my word.

Certainly I'd just get whatever bonnet mounted nozzle(s) you can find, as a 'get you back on the road' kind of thing - and look at one with a heater element later - or indeed, get a couple of nozzles, and hack your old one to bits and install in a spare new one.

To be honest the heater element is perhaps a little bit of a gimmick, most cars don't have them, and if it's so cold as to have iced up the window your screenwash won't do much, you'll be outside with de-icer anyway. (or sitting in the drivers seat with the engine and blowers on, waiting for the screen vents to melt the ice, again, still no need to use the screenwash)  :)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 January 2016, 11:26:06 »

No worries. If you get utterly stuck, like I say I can try and sort one out for you, but I just don't want to promise you one if I'm literally unable to get to scrappy/spares car - all that time you're left hanging on my word.

Certainly I'd just get whatever bonnet mounted nozzle(s) you can find, as a 'get you back on the road' kind of thing - and look at one with a heater element later - or indeed, get a couple of nozzles, and hack your old one to bits and install in a spare new one.

To be honest the heater element is perhaps a little bit of a gimmick, most cars don't have them, and if it's so cold as to have iced up the window your screenwash won't do much, you'll be outside with de-icer anyway. (or sitting in the drivers seat with the engine and blowers on, waiting for the screen vents to melt the ice, again, still no need to use the screenwash)  :)

Must agree with DBG here .. the correct strength of water/screenwash/antifreeze is far more beneficial than the jet heaters ... otherwise ...If the screen is cold the "just above freezing" water from the heated jet will simply freeze on contact with the screen, get smeared by the wipers and you won't be able to see a thing ... and that will happen whilst driving not just on start up ....   :(

05omegav6

« Reply #17 on: 21 January 2016, 13:58:53 »

Hi HKT ,first so i can use any jet from any vauxhall from a scrappy.The blockage is not ice as the passenger side one,which was a new one 2 years ago is working fine.I know someone will ask why did i buy only one,well at the time the drivers side was working fine to.I will do as you suggest over the weekend,thanks Dean.
The screenwash is pumped up the passenger side wing, into the bonnet to the passenger jet. There is a second pipe which connects to the drivers side jet. Therefore the blockage is in one of three places...
1. In the passenger jet outlet.
2. In the drivers jet.
3. In the pipe between the two jets.

Simples...

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 January 2016, 15:31:29 »

OP, I'm assuming you've actually pulled the pipe that goes into the driver's side jet, and then activated the pump, yes? Thus confirming it is/isn't the jet? If not.. why not?!!?  :D

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 21 January 2016, 16:34:53 »

OP, I'm assuming you've actually pulled the pipe that goes into the driver's side jet, and then activated the pump, yes? Thus confirming it is/isn't the jet? If not.. why not?!!?  :D
Good questions well presented :-X

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 January 2016, 16:41:53 »

Not meant in a grumpy/angry way, by the way OP  :y, just well worth checking!  :)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 January 2016, 07:24:21 »

Not meant in a grumpy/angry way, by the way OP  :y, just well worth checking!  :)
Good point no i have not done that,no offense taken.I value your ideas and suggestions, thanks i will do this today.As well as the icv and the windscreen wipers and flush the matrix.Plus check all the bulb holders and bulbs,its never ending.Dean.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 January 2016, 09:52:22 »

Now worries  :)

ICV? You got a wobbly idle, then? Me too. Main suspect being a piffling vac leak, but you've probably already been down that road.. Matrix flush, ahhh, yes. Something I'm not bothering with until the summer!  ;)

Keep us updated  :)

bootie

• Enix, Almeria, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 January 2016, 21:10:47 »

There is a possibility that the heating element may have corroded inside the jet body.
I had this happen on my (much older) Carlton. Remedy was to take the internal gubbins out, clean it all out and then remake the heating element with a small bit of thin copper soldered onto the wire!
Of course, if you can buy new............. ::)

Jon
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.