Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Modern car's features versus bad habits!  (Read 9580 times)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Modern car's features versus bad habits!
« Reply #45 on: 25 May 2017, 16:07:55 »

Agreed, but in most cases if the driver is perceptive and reading the road ahead, there shouldn't be any need for it.
I (and I would imagine you) managed perfectly well without it for decades. I dread to think what would happen if people who have learnt to drive in the last 25 years were let loose in cars without ABS, TC etc.

I had a moment on a wet road at night in the Touareg when travelling faster than perhaps I should have been which I'm not sure I would have caught if left to me bearing in mind the inertia of a 2.5 ton offroader trying to do shit that it shouldn't,I was very grateful for the ESP that night which I'd never noticed before in three years driving in it :y

I was behind a Toerag last night on the way home and was reminded that they are fairly handsome cars.. doing less mileage now I'd be sorely tempted by one.

Or an SQ7 .. but I'm not made of money ;D

I've been pleased with ours,very much dual purpose and happy towing pikey wagon or long motorway trips solo when it feels more like a big car than an offroader
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 25 May 2017, 16:09:02 »

Agreed, but in most cases if the driver is perceptive and reading the road ahead, there shouldn't be any need for it.
I (and I would imagine you) managed perfectly well without it for decades. I dread to think what would happen if people who have learnt to drive in the last 25 years were let loose in cars without ABS, TC etc.

I had a moment on a wet road at night in the Touareg when travelling faster than perhaps I should have been which I'm not sure I would have caught if left to me bearing in mind the inertia of a 2.5 ton offroader trying to do shit that it shouldn't,I was very grateful for the ESP that night which I'd never noticed before in three years driving in it :y

Perhaps if you had been driving an old fashioned car without the aids & gizmos you would have stayed more alert and paid more attention to your speed,and general limitations of your self and your car ?
I hope that doesn't come across as condescending as it isn't meant to. I just believe that modern driver aids tend to make us lazier as drivers when we know the car will help us, up to a point, if we run ourselves into trouble.

I was noticeably more alert afterwards :-X
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

aaronjb

« Reply #47 on: 25 May 2017, 17:05:36 »

I've been pleased with ours,very much dual purpose and happy towing pikey wagon or long motorway trips solo when it feels more like a big car than an offroader

Doing less miles I'd actually be inclined toward petrol next time (esp. if the gov't decides to murder diesel) - not much choice in petrol Touaregs or Q7s though! 2 of each for sale on Pistonheads and they're not as fast or capable as their diesel brethren..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 25 May 2017, 18:42:31 »

Keyless entry when combined with keyless ignition.  :y
For such a gimmicky thing, it soon becomes 2nd nature, and annoying when you jump in a car without it  :-[
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 25 May 2017, 18:43:13 »

For such a gimmicky thing, it soon becomes 2nd nature, and annoying when you jump in a car without it  :-[

Not that I've already looked a idiot trying to open a locked Zafira without the key. Honest.

::)
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 25 May 2017, 18:45:09 »

As my neighbour discovered when he rushed out locking the keys to his Auris estate in the house...  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 25 May 2017, 19:06:13 »

The thing I've done with keyless entry cars, is when I park and walk away, but then because I have OCD or some other syndrome, I always have to go back and double check I've locked up.  ::)

And of course when I check the door it's open!  :D  ;)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 25 May 2017, 19:28:40 »

The thing I've done with keyless entry cars, is when I park and walk away, but then because I have OCD or some other syndrome, I always have to go back and double check I've locked up.  ::)

How does keyless entry work if the place you keep your car keys at home is within range of the car?  :-\

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 25 May 2017, 19:44:26 »

A guy I work with pulled in to our works car park, got out to chat to us, pressed the remote and locked his car as we walked off to do our shift.
In the early hours of the morning, as we'd finished our shift, we were walking out to the car park when he noticed his lights were on. Thinking that someone was about to steal it we ran over to his car, which had the engine running. His car was still locked, nobody was in it, the engine was running and the auto lights had come on as it was dark.
That car, a 530d, had been sat idling for 11.5 hours.  :o It had used less that a quarter of a tank.
The only saving grace was, it was minus five that night so he didn't have to defrost his car and it was lovely and warm inside.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 25 May 2017, 19:49:55 »

We get the occasional one of those in the car parks at work :D

Presumably if you press the button to start it then you need to press a button to stop it ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #55 on: 25 May 2017, 19:51:39 »

I think the last car i owned with a starting handle to supplement the battery was a Wolsey 16/60. That was about 1977. 

Are tyre pressure sensors a must have? How hard is it to check them at a garage and have a look for blebs or cuts at the same time.

Yes as of 2012 all new vehicle types had to have a pressure based tyre pressure monitoring system fitted and as of 2014 all new vehicles had to have it.
TPMS has very little to do with safety and everything to do with saving 0.00000002% on every tank of fuel by ensuring your tyres are correctly inflated.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 25 May 2017, 20:09:03 »

We get the occasional one of those in the car parks at work :D

Presumably if you press the button to start it then you need to press a button to stop it ::)

Quite right.  :y  Technically, if someone timed it right and jumped in as you went to the boot, they could press the start button and drive off. I'm sure they could live with the 'Remote out of range' bong'ing away as they ragged the arse off it.   ;D
They wouldn't be able to stop though as it wouldn't restart with the fob out of range, but I would know where they'd dumped it by using my app*.  ;D

*Unless it's in a container.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 25 May 2017, 21:08:58 »

How does keyless entry work if the place you keep your car keys at home is within range of the car?  :-\

With my daughters Renault Scenic to start the engine, by pushing the button, the key card must be either with you in the drivers seat, or certainly within 1 metre either side of it. The same goes for stopping the engine; it will not turn off unless the key card is right there. ;)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 25 May 2017, 21:36:29 »

Grudgingly have to admit hill start assist on an auto worked well enough today. Mind you no manual handbrake!

We have just been having a discussion as to whether it is legal to use your left foot to brake? I have a sneaky feeling i am wrong and it is technically illegal but only if you caused an accident. Don,t try it tomorrow if you never have as you will find you have no control -just on or off!😕
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 25 May 2017, 22:25:14 »

Grudgingly have to admit hill start assist on an auto worked well enough today. Mind you no manual handbrake!

We have just been having a discussion as to whether it is legal to use your left foot to brake? I have a sneaky feeling i am wrong and it is technically illegal but only if you caused an accident. Don,t try it tomorrow if you never have as you will find you have no control -just on or off!😕

I always left foot brake  :y :y
When I was invited to my speed awareness course  ::) a few years back, I was told off for doing so .... reason being,  I might press both pedals. I'm sure he could've thought up a better excuse.   ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 18 queries.