Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Modern car's features versus bad habits!  (Read 9650 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Modern car's features versus bad habits!
« Reply #60 on: 25 May 2017, 22:56:15 »

Grudgingly have to admit hill start assist on an auto worked well enough today. Mind you no manual handbrake!

We have just been having a discussion as to whether it is legal to use your left foot to brake? I have a sneaky feeling i am wrong and it is technically illegal but only if you caused an accident. Don,t try it tomorrow if you never have as you will find you have no control -just on or off!😕

I always left foot brake  :y :y
When I was invited to my speed awareness course  ::) a few years back, I was told off for doing so .... reason being,  I might press both pedals. I'm sure he could've thought up a better excuse.   ;D

So do I, in an auto.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 25 May 2017, 23:13:00 »

Grudgingly have to admit hill start assist on an auto worked well enough today. Mind you no manual handbrake!

We have just been having a discussion as to whether it is legal to use your left foot to brake? I have a sneaky feeling i am wrong and it is technically illegal but only if you caused an accident. Don,t try it tomorrow if you never have as you will find you have no control -just on or off!😕

I always left foot brake  :y :y
When I was invited to my speed awareness course  ::) a few years back, I was told off for doing so .... reason being,  I might press both pedals. I'm sure he could've thought up a better excuse.   ;D

So do I, in an auto.  :y
The first time I drove an auto was about 25 years ago when they had a brake pedal the size of an ironing board.

Instinct made me press my left foot to the floor while gently braking with my right foot the first time I stopped.............
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 26 May 2017, 00:17:27 »

I had exactly the same experience.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 26 May 2017, 07:56:13 »

I too have a tendency at times to left foot brake in an auto,although I find myself wondering why I do so,after all when driving a manual it's right foot for accelerator/brake and left foot for clutch so why does it feel "natural" to left foot brake in an auto?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 26 May 2017, 08:00:16 »

I've been pleased with ours,very much dual purpose and happy towing pikey wagon or long motorway trips solo when it feels more like a big car than an offroader

Doing less miles I'd actually be inclined toward petrol next time (esp. if the gov't decides to murder diesel) - not much choice in petrol Touaregs or Q7s though! 2 of each for sale on Pistonheads and they're not as fast or capable as their diesel brethren..

Porsche Cayenne?

aaronjb

« Reply #65 on: 26 May 2017, 09:33:53 »

I've been pleased with ours,very much dual purpose and happy towing pikey wagon or long motorway trips solo when it feels more like a big car than an offroader

Doing less miles I'd actually be inclined toward petrol next time (esp. if the gov't decides to murder diesel) - not much choice in petrol Touaregs or Q7s though! 2 of each for sale on Pistonheads and they're not as fast or capable as their diesel brethren..

Porsche Cayenne?

Good point - same car essentially but with a better choice of engines that don't run on (as our esteemed Opti would say) the devils juice.

Still I'll probably be sensible and see out the finance on the Skoda ;D

When you're 90 years old and have ploughed through the front window of a chippy because you pressed both pedals, I guess he'll consider himself proven right... ;) ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 26 May 2017, 18:53:58 »

Keyless entry when combined with keyless ignition.  :y
For such a gimmicky thing, it soon becomes 2nd nature, and annoying when you jump in a car without it  :-[

The thing I've done with keyless entry cars, is when I park and walk away, but then because I have OCD or some other syndrome, I always have to go back and double check I've locked up.  ::)

And of course when I check the door it's open!  :D  ;)  ;D

How does keyless entry work if the place you keep your car keys at home is within range of the car?  :-\
It has to be very close ;)
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #67 on: 26 May 2017, 20:11:24 »

For such a gimmicky thing, it soon becomes 2nd nature, and annoying when you jump in a car without it  :-[

The thing I've done with keyless entry cars, is when I park and walk away, but then because I have OCD or some other syndrome, I always have to go back and double check I've locked up.  ::)

How does keyless entry work if the place you keep your car keys at home is within range of the car?  :-\
Yeah. Close enough to put a fickin key in  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 27 May 2017, 00:08:06 »

when you're 90 years old and have ploughed through the front window of a chippy because you pressed both pedals, I guess he'll consider himself proven right... ;) ;D

If you press both pedals of most modern fly by wire throttles, you find that the throttle 'switches off' ..... besides, I'm  not sure I'll still be around in 35 yrs  :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 27 May 2017, 00:10:31 »

It wasn't very close on a Top Gear when they parked Capt Slow's car (a Ford?) in the middle of the street  :-\

Lincs Robert

« Reply #70 on: 27 May 2017, 06:57:30 »

Yes - but without actually having to do it. Key stays in pocket, no need to touch anything  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 27 May 2017, 10:09:41 »

Yes.  I believe the spec says the key has to be less that 1m from one of the detectors (door handles, or boot button) - I'll have a play later to see...   ...obviously, on mine and I guess all others, you can still use the remote in the traditional way, and it has a very good range on it (but then the fob is the size of a lorry)

Same with starting it. (ignoring silly "must press brake pedal to start" 'dangle berries'), you can't start unless somebody with a valid key is sat in the car. So can't start it stood by open drivers door.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 27 May 2017, 10:31:37 »

Even with the brake pedal pressed?
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 27 May 2017, 18:43:42 »

Yes. To start, the key has to be within a set distance of one of the internal receivers, in the same way it has to be within range of one of the external receivers to keyless unlock vehicle.

I tied unlocking, unsuccessfully, earlier today by hold key at arms length away from the car. So it does have to be quite close.
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 31 May 2017, 22:57:25 »

Yes. To start, the key has to be within a set distance of one of the internal receivers, in the same way it has to be within range of one of the external receivers to keyless unlock vehicle.

I tied unlocking, unsuccessfully, earlier today by hold key at arms length away from the car. So it does have to be quite close.

My Z is the same, you have to be in very close proximity to the door handle, around half a metre but I`m sure the key works from the passenger seat once inside.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.