Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What Car for 24yo Female  (Read 8780 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
What Car for 24yo Female
« on: 25 May 2017, 21:56:50 »

Very close friend of mine wrote off her 2012 Corsa Limited Edition last week, which she's had from new (lovely condition) too.

Insurance have given her just under £5k.

To cut a long story short she doesn't want to spent it all (intending to keep some behind for the next insurance premium!) and is looking to spend about £3,000 on something to drive around in.

Criteria - must be a hatchback as Estate too big but also can't be a roller skate due to the mileage it will do. Must be under a 1.8 for insurance purposes. Preferably a diesel as she does 100 miles a day round trip for work. Auto or manual are both fine. No requirement for any serious toys, but the usual safety features are desirable.

I'm erring towards an Astra (H)? of around 2009 Era with the 1.7CDTi manual. Or maybe a Focus 1.6 TDCi of the same era. Found some nice Audi A3's of slightly earlier vintage - also considered VW Golf but they all look battered, abused, chavved up, or silly money.

Any tips are most welcome, we are going shopping over the next few days :y :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: What Car for 24yo Female
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2017, 22:08:17 »

Very close friend of mine wrote off her 2012 Corsa Limited Edition last week, which she's had from new (lovely condition) too.

To cut a long story short she doesn't want to spent it all (intending to keep some behind for the next insurance premium!) and is looking to spend about £3,000 on something to drive around in.

Criteria - must be a hatchback as Estate too big but also can't be a roller skate due to the mileage it will do. Must be under a 1.8 for insurance purposes. Preferably a diesel as she does 100 miles a day round trip for work. Auto or manual are both fine. No requirement for any serious toys, but the usual safety features are desirable.

I'm erring towards an Astra (H)? of around 2009 Era with the 1.7CDTi manual. Or maybe a Focus 1.6 TDCi of the same era. Found some nice Audi A3's of slightly earlier vintage - also considered VW Golf but they all look battered, abused, chavved up, or silly money.

Derv and derv which is dead in the water.

Petrol is superior. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2017, 22:42:45 »

Surrey Plod Focus :y

Be circa £7-800 from WOMA ;)
« Last Edit: 25 May 2017, 22:45:49 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2017, 22:50:33 »

Tigra, although some models can be a bit Insurance hungry.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2017, 23:05:34 »

FWIW I would steer away from an Audi, if she's worried about insurance, the repair costs will make her head spin!

There is (in this case) some sense in what the good Dr is saying, unless she's doing serious mileage (20-25k+ pa) she'll hardly make the money back on a diesel. I'd go with a N/A 4-pot petrol, no DPF, DMF, expensive injectors, turbo etc etc.

A car like stemo's that does around 40mpg vs a 55mpg diesel costs about £750more in fuel per 20,000 miles (that's roughly her commute x 5 days x 45wks/yr) or £60 pcm. My guess is that assuming no additional costs, it would be 2yrs before she sees a return on investment.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2017, 00:33:46 »

Fiat Punto?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-FIAT-PUNTO-EVO-1-4-8V-DYNAMIC-MANUAL-PETROL-5-DOOR-HATCHBACK-/122419057637?hash=item1c80be93e5:g:q-8AAOSwU8hY5OQl

Hahahahahahahahahanaha.

Seriously? A Fiat? :o

You're on the right track with a Focus or Astra, but petrol engines are a better bet. I would be looking for an Astra, as I don't like how the Focus drives.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2017, 08:00:35 »

One of the smaller Volvos?Admittedly the V40 is an estate but it's not a deal bigger than a Focus.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2017, 08:24:48 »

I would also be looking Focus/Astra

Some of the Astra J's are now around the 3-4k mark and are a much more refined dive than the G and far less 'crashy' than a Focus

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2017, 09:43:06 »

Some of the Astra J's are now around the 3-4k mark and are a much more refined dive than the G and far less 'crashy' than a Focus

Astra J is a cracking car all round  :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2017, 09:44:59 »

100 miles a day is 25k a year ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2017, 10:04:00 »

Fiat Punto?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-FIAT-PUNTO-EVO-1-4-8V-DYNAMIC-MANUAL-PETROL-5-DOOR-HATCHBACK-/122419057637?hash=item1c80be93e5:g:q-8AAOSwU8hY5OQl

Hahahahahahahahahanaha.

Seriously? A Fiat?
:o

You're on the right track with a Focus or Astra, but petrol engines are a better bet. I would be looking for an Astra, as I don't like how the Focus drives.

Yep seriously!   :P  An ex-gf had one of these and loved it.  :y 

It was cheap and cheerful, admittedly built like a biscuit tin, but was good fun to drive and it was very reliable as well.  :)

I had a Fiat Uno SX back in the early 1990's and it put up with all the abuse and lack of maintenance that my early 20's self threw at it, and it remains in my all time top 5. Great little car!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2017, 11:11:09 »

Astra J is a cracking car all round  :y
Especially in a fetching shade of green  :-* :-* :-*

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2017, 11:48:18 »

Derv and derv which is dead in the water.

Petrol is superior. :y

Did you read age and budget? Nope you just saw diesel  :P

2006-14 era petrols are in the serious minority!

As I've mentioned before I've looked at 2013 Zaf Tourers. 1,000 + diesel examples, number of petrol? sub 30.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2017, 13:01:20 »

Fiat Punto?

Hahahahahahahahahanaha.

Seriously? A Fiat? :o

Why not a Fiat?  A Fiat 500 that is, which I just love and if I wanted a smaller car I would have one in either pink or red; they look gorgeous in those colours.  It is a great car for any women for local / city driving especially.  Cheap to run and insure.

These are the ones available on Autotrader around the £3,000 mark :y

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?make=FIAT&model=500&postcode=s728dw&radius=1501&price-from=500&sort=price-desc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-to=3000&search-target=usedcars&quicksearch=true
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.