Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Light switch issue  (Read 2055 times)

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
Light switch issue
« on: 22 March 2017, 19:46:41 »

I have an omega 2,0 1994. The issue is that the LED that shows if the front fog lights are on dont work. Also the LED that illuminates the top of the switch dont work. This is the old type with led lights in the switches. Thought it was a switch issue but now i tried three different switches and they all behave the same. Led in the rear fog light switch works fine but the one in the front switch dont. Backlight bulb is OK. Switches also turns the lights on and off fine. Just a pita to have to run around the front of the car to check if fogs are on or off. Wiring seems OK behind the switch.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
Re: Light switch issue
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2017, 01:11:07 »

you can replace the leds inside, there is 2 at the bottom of the board and 1 at the top, replacement type are 2 3mm and a 5mm, 5mm is for top led and the 2 3mm type are for the switches, if you not any good at soldering you could ask someone to do it for you, light control box is just clipped together, the bottom buttons have to be un clipped first and they just pull out, then the side have 2 plastic clips and a square part that needs to be popped out of the wa, then slowly prize out one side at a time till it all lose and comes out, then the board needs to be prized out minding you dont put to much pressure on the bottom of the board, when fixed the leds just push board back on to the back plastic plate locating on the connections, now this is the difficult part you need to locate the adjusters (wheels) so that they fit over the adjuster on the board you can see them from the bottom to line up. when its lined up push it all closed and refit the buttons on the bottom. leds are just normal white light but you can change them to what ever colour you want or have but it will change the color of its elimination. 

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2017, 10:47:12 »

Thanks for the reply. Dont think i shall try to solder aything as small as a LED in a circuit board:p allthough i have had one of these switches apart so i know how its put together.
Anyway i tried borrowing the known functioning switch from my 95 3,0 estate today and that worked fine in the 2,0 saloon also. But as said i previously have tried 3 different switches that all Failed to light up led 1 and led 2(rotary switch illumination and front fog switch) led 3 (rear fogs) worked fine on all. I can only assume now that these leds are a weakness in these switches.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2017, 05:40:44 »

the leds do go after time, as some leds are over 20 years old, old type and the new type do have their differences, technology has  changed a lot for the little led, the new ones you buy today have a longer life span, are brighter, and can handle a little over voltage. if you do decide to change the leds, make a note of the led its self there is a r shape that's negative, and small pole is positive. so put the new led in same way as the old one. they very easy to replace you tube has videos on how to do the basics. hope you get things sorted and good luck.   

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2017, 10:32:49 »

Shall check YouTube. I saw the date on the fully functioning switch from the estate was 2007. So its obviously alot newer than the original 1994-1997 switches im struggling with. Thanks alot for great advices:)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2017, 15:09:02 »

Shall check YouTube. I saw the date on the fully functioning switch from the estate was 2007. So its obviously alot newer than the original 1994-1997 switches im struggling with. Thanks alot for great advices:)

But later cars had the tell tale on the dash  ...... not the switch ..... or have I misunderstood the question?

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2017, 01:02:12 »

Later cars had them on the dash yes. I no longer recall where the switch marked 2007 in the 1994 estate comes from bur i know i have changed it years ago. I guess its a spare part from Opel produced much later and therefore has less "age" on the leds.

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2017, 10:54:08 »

Update/sidenote: since i dont have any spare leds i decided to test my soldering ability on an old broken ir fob/remote. Much to my surprise i didnt screw it up, the remote actually started working again and unlocked the car it belonged to!:) Now that im suddenly a soldering expert i will Get my hands on some leds and try my luck with a couple of those old light switches:p

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2017, 08:18:09 »

:y :y :y :y great job  :y :y :y :y

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2017, 20:20:50 »

Success:) ordered leds from eBay and soldered them in today. Was 3mm for all three leds. The one for the front fogs should be green led. Only had white so used that and glued a piece of a green plastic bag on the optic of the switch. Results was very decent:)

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2017, 07:38:52 »

nice one, I put 5 mil in top as its on every time the ignition is on and 5mil last longer on all time better than 3mm but good job  :y :y :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.